Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleJared
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
Deleted
    #320663 - 05/19/01 01:09 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Content Removed.

Edited by Jared (04/01/04 01:33 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledimitri211
Carpal Tunnel
Re: Straw? Compost? Grain? Cucumber? Crumble? [Re: Jared]
    #320665 - 05/19/01 01:14 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

hey here is a good idea read a little more(I am not ripping on you) but you have it all wrong the casing layer is to keep your mycelium moist(like a virgin) all the items straw,dung,etc..... are "food sources" for casings go to grow/find or www.thehawkseye.com tips/teks he has 2 good casing recipes there. feel free to PM me if you have more questions

www.thehawkseye.com
Sacred Mushroom Spores
remember, behind every great fortune there is an even greater crime

InvisibleJared
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
Deleted [Re: dimitri211]
    #320673 - 05/19/01 01:22 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Content Removed.

Edited by Jared (04/01/04 01:32 AM)

OfflineTrippinRhino
addict

Loc: TX
    #320679 - 05/19/01 01:36 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

King Jared,
I will have to say you are on the right track. I know that it is frustrating the first time deciding EXACTLY how you are gonna do it. There are so many different variations on the idea. The truth is, they ALL will work (though I have NOT tried them ALL). Everyone has a way that works best for them in their particular situation. If you have a small setup, I like loaves. If you would like more detailed instructions on making a loaf just ask. Go look at some pics inside a thread I posted some weeks back called "2nd attempt, loafs, *pics*" I had two little loafs. Each one contained a jar and a half of substrate, cased with a 1/4" layer of 50/50+ casing on bottom and top and then birthed when the casing was colonized (dumped out in a loaf and placed on a try of wet verm) Three cakes total. I got three flushes from these two loafs over a 16 day period. My total yield from them was around 300-320 grams wet. It was enough for the friends and I to get real silly, two weekends in a row. I see your drawing. The casing layer you have depicted there is TOO thick for the mycelium layer. This is my OPINION. Others may feel differently. I made this mistake my first time. The shrooms ended up growing out the sides before the casing was fully colonized. If you are gonna use a 1" layer of substrate you might try for more like a 1/4" to 1/2" casing layer. A 1" casing might be suitable for a 3-4" substrate level. Don't make your mycelium do so much work. Give them no more casing than they need. Right now I am trying coco fiber with wet perlite/verm on bottom for a water reservoir. The coco fiber colonizes like the wind but will not be as resistant to contams as 50/50+. Go to the Hawkseye.com for all the info you may need on 50/50+ casing. It works well.

--------------------
All rhinos are endangered species...save the rhinos

InvisibleJared
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
Deleted [Re: TrippinRhino]
    #320681 - 05/19/01 02:25 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Content Removed.

Edited by Jared (04/01/04 01:31 AM)

OfflineTrippinRhino
addict

#320683 - 05/19/01 02:44 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Jared,
The pH of 50/50+ casing is high as hell. It is not likely to contam. Yet it does not damage the mycelium, go figure....

--------------------

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
    #320756 - 05/19/01 07:50 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

You can omit the bottom casing layer. Also, the subsrate layer should be the thickest. Crumble into marble sized pieces. Case with plain vermiculite. Also, i want you to use cake pans. This way you won`t lose the whole terrarium if one of them contams. Good luck!

Offlinegratefulredhead

Loc: Off the map....
    #320943 - 05/19/01 01:33 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

one suggestion: use several different containers within the large container, especially if this is your first time casing. there is nothing worse than loosing ALL of your work, because everything gets contaminated. use loaf pans, or a couple cake pans or you can even do single plastic cups such as the sea of shrooms tek.

good luck. be clean as you can be. and pasteurize.

Edited by gratefulredhead on 05/19/01 03:35 PM.

--------------------

Offlinepsylohassee
enthusiast
Re: Straw? Compost? Grain? Cucumber? Crumble? [Re: gratefulredhead]
    #320998 - 05/19/01 02:43 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Thats a fucking huge container your talking about. You must have quite a few colonized jars. What u were talking about with dung/straw is bulk growing, and if you plan on using that container you might as well go for it. If you have compost, your best bet is to crumble up you jars into small pieces and mix thoroughly. lay it in your container then case with 5050 once colonized.

OfflineTrippinRhino
addict

Re: Straw? Compost? Grain? Cucumber? Crumble? [Re: psylohassee]
    #321029 - 05/19/01 03:38 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I agree with Jerry Garcia, Why not put perlite in the bottom of that tub and use it for a terrarium? Get some smaller loaf pans to make your casings in. Disposable aluminum ones from the dollar store will work just fine. OR, invest in some reusalble plastic ones. Make sure they are opaque. You can get several small pans in there. Small pans yield more than you might think hombre. Don't increase your chances of losing EVERYTHING by putting all yo' eggs on one basket. For loafs I use coated metal bread pans that are about 4" x 8" and about 2" deep. For this size, use a cake and a half crumbled on top of 1/2" of moist verm or 50?50+ casing. Then cover with another layer of casing about 1/4"-1/2". This gives me a substrate level of about 1"-1 1/4". Place them in your tub on top of the perlite and keep in the dark until the top casing is about 50% colonized. Then, hit the light. Run it full time or put it on a cheap timer. several hours of light a day is what i recommend (as much as 14 or so). A Humidity meter is recommeded. Get a digital at Radio shack for about 25 bucks or just keep the humidity judged by the amount of water dripping down the sides of the tub. Complete condensation fo the walls indicates 100% humidity. 50% condensation on the wall indicates about 92-94%. This is my expirience, although I always use a hygrometer. I like to keep my loafs at least 90%. I feel that 94-95% is not too high because they are small and can lose moisture faster than a large casing. 100% won't destroy them. But they should be fanned periodically to drop the humidity. Or if you have your air injection like you mentioned, play with the fluid levels in your humidifying bottles to get what you want. Leaving them at 100% humidity too long (more than a day at a time) will increase your chances of contams....

--------------------

OfflineTrippinRhino
addict

Re: Straw? Compost? Grain? Cucumber? Crumble? [Re: TrippinRhino]
    #321053 - 05/19/01 04:19 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

One more thing: If you want to get started without going through the time of setting up your air injection, Expiriement with leaving the lid cracked on your tub. Just a small crack can easily keep the humidity at about in the low 90s. You will need to fan a 2-3 times a day while they are fruiting. You can use a cut piece of cardboard as a fan. Bout the size of a piece of printer paper. It can be sprayed with alcohol in a spray bottle and just simply wafted a few good times to stir up the air inside. Replace the lid and repeat the process a another time or two throughout the day.

--------------------

Offlinesonichell
journeyman
Re: Straw? Compost? Grain? Cucumber? Crumble? [Re: TrippinRhino]
    #321087 - 05/19/01 05:24 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

a friend just recently saw better results than he had before. Here is what he changed:
Layered substrate thicker, 3 inches or a little more.
Mixed with small amount of compost.
He put a little 5050+ under and then about 3/4 in on top.
First pick, 23g, it was even immature. This is a big change from the 3-8g shrooms he was getting of the same strain that was layered thinner. Cambodian strain. Just one friends experience.

Offline12BLate
    #321112 - 05/19/01 06:03 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Jared what is that sweet little image below your name?
Looks like some 3D tits ?
Where is the larger image that came from. Sorry> off topic but it caught my eye.
L8R

InvisibleJared
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
Deleted [Re: 12BLate]
    #322757 - 05/21/01 07:12 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Content Removed.

Edited by Jared (04/01/04 01:30 AM)

InvisibleJared
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
Deleted [Re: sonichell]
    #322761 - 05/21/01 07:15 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Content Removed.

Edited by Jared (04/01/04 01:29 AM)

InvisibleJared
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
Deleted [Re: puscle]
    #322767 - 05/21/01 07:19 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Content Removed.

Edited by Jared (04/01/04 01:28 AM)

InvisibleJared
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
Deleted [Re: TrippinRhino]
    #322770 - 05/21/01 07:22 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Content Removed.

Edited by Jared (04/01/04 01:28 AM)

OfflineTrippinRhino
addict

#322943 - 05/21/01 10:37 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Jared, I think you might find that the filtering is not as important as you might think. I am pretty freaky about sterility. I don't get contams (with the exception of one very careless time). I still highly recommend using a few small containers inside rather than one big tub. It is not really any more work. Look at the new thread by Mr. Pink about 'just got a digicam' There is an example of using loaf pans in there. Did you see my thread on loafs. I just posted 2nd and 3rd flush pics. It should not be too far down the line. LET YOUR CASINGS SIT COVERED WITH NO AIR EXCHANGE while they colonize. Maybe just fan them once every day or two. When they become colonized, they are not very prone to contaminate even under careless conditions. If you have already bought the flask for your bubbler, get a rubber stopper for the thing. Get one that has two holes and by using cheap plastic fittings and silicone tubing (all available at your local pet store), you can still keep it outside while injecting clean air in. Use Peroxide in your flask. Only turn on the bubbler when the casings are colonized. You really should not have a problem. I sure hope you have jars gettin ready. You can even prepare the casings and keep them in another opaque tub covered while the work on your chamber is in progress. B sure to put some perlite in that tub for humidity. 100% is just fine for colonizing. Keep it a little lower for fruiting. Just go for it on this first time. Don't worry about the EXACT details of your substrate level. Do not overcase. Thin cased will still fruit just fine. They may not get quite the yield in the long run. BUT, the difference will NOT be huge. After you have one experience under your belt, many of these questions in your mind will be answered by YOU. To fit your particular needs. I can tell that you are a zealot, me too. Start with as much simplicity as you can while still being an innovator. After all lotsa folks here just trow a cake in a cut 2 liter bottle and fruit them this way. They surely don't get the results you can expect BUT, still results. I might recommend getting your chamber suitable but simple for the first time. You use it for fruiting for about 3-4 weeks on your first go around. This will give you plenty of practical knowlege to make adjustments and additions as you see fit...

--------------------

Invisibleshaggymane
PHARMER

Loc: great white north
    #591337 - 03/27/02 08:36 PM (22 years, 7 days ago)

Location Somewhere in Europe
---------------------------------------------------
shit, I didn't know they had Canadain Tires in Europe

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract