Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Air Pump, Aquarium Heater, Perlite, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinediscman1
journeyman
PMP fruiting chamber questions and ideas
    #3227291 - 10/07/04 01:59 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Hi guys,

Well, my cakes(and casings) are going to be birthed in a day or two, so I have been brainstorming and collecting supplies for my chamber.

I'm going to be using a 30 gallon sterilite tub with perlite. I have a 2800cc(2.8L)/minute dual outlet air pump and two 18" bubble wands. This should exchange the air in the tub about 5-6 times per hour. So that takes care of that aspect.

My main thoughts and concerns right now are focused on heat and lighting. In the future, I hope to move to a tub-in-tub setup, but my budget was too small this time around.

While I was collecting supplies, I ran across this neat 10W mini compact fluorescent aquarium bulb.

If you will notice, it emits a great deal of spectral energy in the 350 - 500nm range, which should be absolutely perfect for pin initiation.

Anyway, has anybody ever experimented with having their light source inside the chamber? Since I am not going to have any real heat source(unless I absolutely cannot keep the temps at the necessary level, in that case I will have to do something else), this is what I've been thinking of doing.

The fixture that I am going to put the bulb into is vented by seven 1/4" holes.

I'm pretty sure that I will need positive ventilation over the bulb, or else the heat would build and build inside the tub.

The fixture has a mounting point on it that will allow the vented end to stick out of the tub lid about 1/4".

I am hoping that I can hook the light up to a timer with it set to 1 hour on, 1 hour off. This will give 12 hours of light total a day, and hopefully it will also keep the temperature around 75?F.

Ideas, comments, critisizms welcome! :smile: Does this have the potential to work, or am I on crack? :wink: I guess I won't really know until I get it all setup and try it out.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: PMP fruiting chamber questions and ideas [Re: discman1]
    #3227467 - 10/07/04 02:29 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I'm confused as to what your doing with the bulb and the chamber thing..cant picture it. YOu just screwing the light to the top? A rubber maid? That will put the bulb very close and probably dry up your cakes and such alot. If you can keep the temps around 70 even thats pretty good without the light. Can you just cut a whole in the top of the rubbermaid and cover in saran wrap? Light over it outside. Thats what I did before..

The bulb looks good though, like low wattage should be pretty low heat but to be inches from your mushrooms is a bit close. If you have to have the light inside you could rig up blue LED's. They work fine and are pretty cheap. Heat is difficult becuase you dont want them to hot..room temp is usually fine..whatever your comfortable at. But if your talking basment or attic or something like that heating it slightly on a large scale is tough. Plus place that are usually to cold, also fluctuate alot.

If it were me, I'd get the light out and a few feet above the chamber with a clear top (plexi top is better then saran but saran is cheap and works) and then make a tub in tub. Get a rubbermaid just like the one you have and throw an aquarium heater in there on low with it filled with water then put the rubbermaid you ahve, your whole terrerium into the heated water. Might need zipties to hold it down once you get the temp set. Use a thermometer and shoot for like 73 in the chamber (the heater setting will be different). You could even get one of the nice heaters off ebay with the seperate temp sensor so it keeps it to what you set it at but the sensors in the chamber, not the water..so you just set it to 73..put the sensor at the bottom and thats what it will stay.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
Re: PMP fruiting chamber questions and ideas [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3227690 - 10/07/04 03:11 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Sorry, I should've been more descriptive.

Remember that this is a big tub. I haven't measured, but the light shouldn't be THAT close to the cakes..... and with the positive pressure created by the air pump, I am hoping that most heat goes up through the vents, but there is enough latent heat to keep my chamber warm.

The room temperature it will be in will only be about 60 - 65?F.

Pardon my goofy illustration.. LOL. :wink:

InvisibleLand_Crab
NeuroticPsychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: U.S.
    #3227771 - 10/07/04 03:28 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Disclaimer: My pseudonym is Dr. Noobenstein, but I thought I'd just add my 2 cents since I'm familiar with lights. Fluorescent lights put out very little heat in comparison to other lights. That's one of the reasons why cultivators of other plants favor them - they can be extremely close to, or even touching the plants, without burning them. Typically, you can wrap your hand around them and still feel comfortable for a little while.

So it would surprise me if a 10 watt fluorescent bulb provided enough heat for a whole 30 gallon tub. Have you tested the light to see how hot it gets? I know fluorescents are appealing because of the blue-spectrum factor, but if you're really looking to heat up the tub with lights, halogens put out a tremendous amount of heat, followed by standard incandescents. Perhaps you could suspend another light above your fluorescent, so the fungus gets the proper spectrum and the proper temperature..?

Others say you do not have to be too picky about the light to initiate pinning... I'm curious about that too.

Edited by Land_Crab (10/07/04 03:37 PM)

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
Re: PMP fruiting chamber questions and ideas [Re: Land_Crab]
    #3227891 - 10/07/04 03:45 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, I have felt the bulb to see how hot it gets. I couldn't hold it for more than maybe 5 seconds, which surprised me, because I can hold the regular compact fluorescents that we use around the house nearly all day long.

But you're right. That has been my question all along. I guess I can set it up without the fixture vent first, and see how hot it gets in there. Maybe with my 1 hour on/1 hour off scheme, the vent won't be needed. But if it does get too hot, I'd have to incorporate it.. at which point hopefully it wasn't too cool, Heh.

I really would like to just do tub in tub, but I'm clean out of 'shroom budget. I will do it eventually, though, complete with the expensive external probe aquarium heaters. This will just be my setup for a couple of months at most.. assuming it works.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3228532 - 10/07/04 05:03 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I got my external probe heater for like 24 bucks on ebay..two rubbermaids about 6 each..about 40 bucks for a correct setup.

I still wouldnt worry about heat. I'd bet you'll do more harm rigging up a poor heating sytem to your mushies then fruiting them in 65 degrees. I'd like to hear on some people as to how low cubies can be fruited before noticing problems. It would seem to me that cooler temps wouldnt be minded by the shrooms at all. I mean fall isn't 73 everywhere cubies grow. Its often much more like 60's. I say put the light above and don't worry about heating..that's what I'd do anyway.

Unless someone comes back with some sort of evidence that they've found temps slightly lower then 70 to be so bad. I can tell you that when you hit 79-80 degrees it aint so good.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
    #3231083 - 10/08/04 12:28 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

From what I understand, they certainly can and will fruit at temperatures of 60 or even below, but as with incubation, growth slows down as temperature drops below optimal.

I dunno. I guess I'll see how it goes. I could easily end up spending another 50$.. but I just don't have it, heh.

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
    #3231221 - 10/08/04 12:48 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Woooo..  Those mushrooms are going to grow and touch the light... 

Okay, here's my 2 cents.  If you are worried about heating(10w?  don't worry about it), wrap some crumbled up aluminum foil(aluminum is great at heat conduction) around the ceramic part(this is where actually heat generation is from) and extend the foil out.  You can even have some fun with it.  Make a butterfly or mushroom shaped bows or something.  The air exchange from the air pump will be more than enough to keep it cool.  But then again, 10w heat off that?  well, at least it'll look cool. :wink:

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: PMP fruiting chamber questions and ideas [Re: Sam1912]
    #3232586 - 10/08/04 12:21 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Its often forgotten that all electronic things produce heat, even air pumps and cool mists..

--------------------

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
    #3233315 - 10/08/04 03:47 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I say that you should stack two containers on top of one-another, one being upsidedown. (That is what I use for all my newt terrariums.)

Then, besides the hole for the light, cut another slightly lower, to ensure that the cooler air comes in there, and hot air passes up through the top hole. Then you can cover the hole that is lower, to adjust the heat that is generated.

If your room is 70, then 70 will come in, and fill from the whole to the bottom of the tank, while hotter air will be above the hole. The extra space allows for the (Home humidity, usually 50H) to come up from the tank humidity, (80H-90H).

I would reccomend using some form of filter to cover the whole, nylon pollyfill, carbon sheet filter (Fish stores). If totally open, you WILL get a wind draft, and all your humidity will escape fast!

I also use the temp and humidity gages, sold at pet-co. they work great, place them where you expect your highest mushroom to get. (Humidity usually falls/settles) You only need that point and lower to be high humidity.

Remember, the greater the temprature diffrence, the greater the internal air movement will be. I would reccomend a flat efficient mat heater over any fishtank heater, as long as you also have a digital regulator to control the temp of the mat. They get up to 110F for cobras, but can be regulated by placing the temp sensor directly on the heat pad. Set it to 70-80F as desired.

Although Under tank heating is unnatural for animals, this is more natural than heat from above, for plants. (Most heat in the plant kingdom is generated from below composting, and supplimented by above air temps.) That's why mushrooms seem to pop up in the early morning on warm cow patties, thier heat is greater than the surrounding air temprature. There are always exceptions though!

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

Edited by LaughingJim (10/08/04 03:49 PM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: PMP fruiting chamber questions and ideas [Re: LaughingJim]
    #3233623 - 10/08/04 05:25 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Thats a good idea, I have seen before people using another rubbermaid of the same sized flipped over as a lid. This would work good for you if you have a lip around the rubbermaid.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Air Pump, Aquarium Heater, Perlite, Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation