Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedumpster420
 User Gallery

pressure cooking straw
    #3226816 - 10/07/04 10:11 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

can i PC straw or straw/ poo? i searched the forums but can't find a straight answer. i wanted to know how to go about it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleshobimono
Why?
Re: pressure cooking straw [Re: dumpster420]
    #3226845 - 10/07/04 10:25 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

You can, but you shouldn't. It will sterilize (kill everything) the straw/poo. You want it pasturized (kill bad, keeps good).

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: pressure cooking straw [Re: shobimono]
    #3227156 - 10/07/04 11:31 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

You would have to deal with it in sterile environments like you would with rye and such because it could no longer fight off contams. I am going to do a number of jars from some straw I have left over in the PC though. I do everything very sterily and will treat it as if it were rye. I pasturized some right in my kitchen and mixed it all up with spawn and made lots of casings right there. Just filled up a rubbermaid (tub in tub actually) with a mesh bag of straw and half boiling water and half hot tap water, throw a weight on the straw to hold it under, a blanket over it and then after 1 1/2 hours remove and let drain for a day. Didn't use a thermometer or anything and was pretty easy (though a huge friging mess). I don't know if this would work time and time again but I have like 8 casings made up that are almost done (80%ish) like this.

I can let you know on the straw being sterilized but it won't be for almost a month before I know for sure (I'll need to actually get a flush off them).

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Invisibleshriek

Re: pressure cooking straw [Re: dumpster420]
    #3227181 - 10/07/04 11:37 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

pasturize it , dont sterilize straw man, its no good.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: pressure cooking straw [Re: shriek]
    #3227358 - 10/07/04 12:07 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

shriek said:
pasturize it , dont sterilize straw man, its no good.

Totally!

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: pressure cooking straw [Re: hyphae]
    #3227497 - 10/07/04 12:37 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I did the pasturize thing though and those casing are coming along fine. I want to sterilize it just to see what happens. I like experimenting :smile: Don't fool yourself by thinking I am counting on this to produce mushrooms or that its my only source of mushrooms but straw is cheap, liquid mycelium is basically free and so is pressure cooking so why not. To many people say things don't work in theory without ever trying and failing. You can learn just as much (sometimes more) by failing then succeding.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Invisibleshriek

Re: pressure cooking straw [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3227508 - 10/07/04 12:40 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

i have tried and i have failed

but go ahead, and post any positive results :wink:

experimenting is never wrong

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
    #3227861 - 10/07/04 01:41 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

To many people say things don't work in theory without ever trying and failing. You can learn just as much (sometimes more) by failing then succeding.

I have tried=I have failed,numerous times trying to pc straw and poo.

When you pc straw/manure it kills everything-good and bad.So when you spawn to it it will contam(most likely)because you have killed all of the good stuff(fire-fang=search for "using poo 101)) that would normally protect it for up to 14 days which gives it plenty of time to colonise before the bad gets to it.

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3228067 - 10/07/04 02:10 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
To many people say things don't work in theory without ever trying and failing. You can learn just as much (sometimes more) by failing then succeding.

In my growing career I have only heard reference to pasturization of straw never PCing it so in my book thats already been establish decades ago. Experimenting and wasting time are two separate things IMO not saying in this instance but I have had plenty of failures in my lifetime enough in fact that I now choose which ones will be experiments and which ones will not be failures. :wink: Keep us updated on your progress scatmanrav just remember it's not just succeeding one time it's succeeding consistantly that makes a tek a tek! :wink: GL Bro

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3228646 - 10/07/04 03:21 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Ah see, your talking about spawning to it. I'm talking about treating it just like rye. PC it, then leave it in the jars with tyvek on it and knock it up with some liquid culture. I wouldn't waste the spawn on it. Once colonized remove and case.

I'm unsure as to why this wouldnt work?

I know why it wouldnt be done, I mean, it's a hassle because when your doing straw you want to do bulk and you want quick and lots of straw done. Pasturaizing is the way to go. However I have some extra straw left over after filling all of my large casing containers with it (pasturized stuff) and I want to do it to do it, not because I think that it will be more productive overall. I'm also not saying that everyone just says stuff doesnt work without experimenting, some do, but I'm not going to say that something doesnt work unless I've tried it. At least something like this. That's why I don't feel its a waste of time.

You kill the bad stuff in grains and theres nothing good to help them out, why do they make it? If kept sterile the whole time I don't see why sterilized straw would contaminate. The only part I'm really worried about is casing it..maybe myc will scrape off it easily and if not done in a sterile place the straw could get contamed. My casing work area is pretty sterile though so that should help that. What would cause my straw to contam?

By the way I don't plan on making this a tek or really repeating it because I don't feel it will create anything that would make it worth the time. I've just seen people say it can't be done and I don't see why not.

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3229024 - 10/07/04 04:33 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

If kept in bags it most definitely will work as it has for years in the commercial mushroom industry :wink: No problem :wink: I know your not planning on making this a tek, I was just say teks are proven experiments. :thumbup:

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

Offlinebemmers1
friend of afriendly farmer
    #3229321 - 10/07/04 05:30 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Hey guys, just my two cents.  My friends recent batch was PC'd in oven-safe bags.  He packed the bags with straw and added water accordingly, then PC'd for an hour.  The bags were then cooled, a filter patch was added, and once cooled, the bags were spawned.  I do agree that pasteurization is the safer way, but sterilization is possible.  Keeping in mind that the room was SPOTLESS and he was extremely careful, it is still possible.  One note, if you do this keep an eye on the PC...the oven safe bag can block the pressure valve and cause a huge bang, when the pressure valve bursts, hehehehe.  I'll post some of his pics shortly, they are coming along nicely :smile:

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
    #3229428 - 10/07/04 05:55 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I misunderstood you my friend-sorry bout dat :grin:

I have never tried to use it as a substrate,Bulk substrate-yes, but,not as a base.I think it would work though.

Give it a try and let us know how it works :thumbup:

:cool: :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: pressure cooking straw [Re: doc34]
    #3229592 - 10/07/04 06:30 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

No problem :smile: I'll be letting people know my progess!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck