Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecougercruiser
reality is whatyou make it~

Loc: Cali
carbon dioxide?
    #3223904 - 10/06/04 05:39 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

is carbon dioxide an importance to growing shrooms? :crazy2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJAMIEK
Re: carbon dioxide? [Re: cougercruiser]
    #3223967 - 10/06/04 05:55 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Yes its presence in the vegative stage is important!

Offlineamyloid
Stranger
    #3223975 - 10/06/04 05:57 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

fungus converts o2 to co2 through respiration. in closed systems (like jars or a fruiting chamber) co2 can build up and suffocate the mycellium by depriving it of o2.

im glad u want to know more, but try to keep these short simple questions to a minimum. you will become a much more useful person if u learn how to find out answers to your own questions. this is one of those questions that are soooooo well documented it makes me hesitate to answer. you definitly used more effort to ask and read this answer then u would if u just typed 'co2 levels' into a shroomery search.

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Al Einstein

OfflineJAMIEK
Re: carbon dioxide? [Re: amyloid]
    #3223989 - 10/06/04 06:01 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Yes he did didnt he! :smirk:

Offlineamyloid
Stranger
Re: carbon dioxide? [Re: JAMIEK]
    #3224041 - 10/06/04 06:08 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

its presence in the generative (aka "vegative") is only as a waste, i think it was discussed if any of it is actually nessicary. the conclusion i came to is that there is no way you can reduce the amount of co2 to a point where it would inhibit growth. the myc does need it for some chem processes, but it produces it itself, and is mainly a problem gas instead of a nessicity.

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Al Einstein

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: carbon dioxide? [Re: amyloid]
    #3224183 - 10/06/04 06:42 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

BTW "Generative" and "Vegetative" growth are two separate things FYI :wink: Just so your on the same page :wink: I agree in an enclosed jar/bag co2 levels optimize rather quickly, jars stall when they cannot release these gases created by metabolic waste.

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Edited by hyphae (10/06/04 11:37 PM)

OfflineJAMIEK
Re: carbon dioxide? [Re: hyphae]
    #3224207 - 10/06/04 06:46 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Im glad you agree you are probaly the reason I cdould answer with confidence because he told me the same thing abaout a week ago on my jars "hyphae" knows his shit! :thumbup: :handth:

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
Re: carbon dioxide? [Re: JAMIEK]
    #3224673 - 10/06/04 08:37 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

If I could add to this... Mosses and leafy wet plants LOVE CO2, they release CO2 at night, and absorb it in light, fast! Greenhouse growers are just now starting to capture on this idae that has been used for years inside aquariums... they actually inject CO2 into the water to make plants thrive and maintain health.

In a seporate container, possibly between your humidity bubbler and the harvesting tank, you could throw a fast growing grass like lemon-grass, sold as edible grass for pets and used by health nuts... Then use the lemon-grass to make shroom lemon-grass tea!

You might want to vent the grass chamber at night, letting the CO2 out into the room... and letting the mushrooms enjoy the O2 that they just got.

Not sure what other plants create massive O2, but there may be a chemical way around this... EG, plant farmers and aquarium planters use CO2 tanks (Soda tanks) and Yeast gas generators (Sugarwater and yeast = CO2)... You could possibly get a small O2 tank for rebreathers and regulate the O2 that way.

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

Offlinecougercruiser

Re: carbon dioxide? [Re: LaughingJim]
    #3226699 - 10/07/04 09:35 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

well sorry about the questions but i was actully just try to help everyone out if you would like to do and exparament with shrooms and carbon dioxide because i know a cheap way to creat a lote of it=(get a two liter bottle and put a fill a quarter of it with sugar and then get two table spoons of yeast=fill the bottle half way with water and put the yeast in=shake really good and in about 20-30 youll have carbon dioxide flowing for about a a week or two.

Offlinecougercruiser

#3226823 - 10/07/04 10:15 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

also you should take the cap to the two liter and put a hole in it,then put a cylicon hose in it with some flexable glue.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3227121 - 10/07/04 11:24 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

The same thing with myc though...

I mean it might not be as much as yeast or as quickly but myc produces its own carbon dioxide as a biproduct, just like yeast. So when you mix food in with the myc (sugar) and throw it in some water they put off carbon dioxide.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinecougercruiser

Re: carbon dioxide? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3227265 - 10/07/04 11:55 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

ok i see

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #3227483 - 10/07/04 12:35 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

You don't want to add any co2 plenty is created in the jars/bags.

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies