Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePunkAlex
I was raisedinvitro
Loc: east coast USA
nightlight=heat source?
    #3223868 - 10/06/04 05:32 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Ive innoc-d 12 half pints with ecuador syringe from sporesource...the plan is for invitro. After 4 days the spores germinated and i have nice little blotches of myc present but im afraid that with dropping temperatures its a bit too cold for good growth...so ive decided i need a heat source. as you can see the grow is in a drawer....i dont have immediate access to a heatpad or anything, but i do have this nightlight. with the cover on it, the amount of light released is minimal, and since invitro grows are advised (in the basic tek, although i have read differently throughout the boards here) to get light from the very beginning, would using this nightlight be a good source for heating?

Edited by PunkAlex (10/06/04 05:33 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJAMIEK
Re: nightlight=heat source? [Re: PunkAlex]
    #3223965 - 10/06/04 05:54 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

No way that is gonna bring temps up to colonize correctly!You need a heat pad as if you didnt already know that but without it it may not go as quickly as you would like to !!

Offlineamyloid
Stranger
    #3224013 - 10/06/04 06:05 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

a nightlight wont provide enough heat to sustain 86f but a nice 60w would.... i highly suggest you DONT go about putting a 60w lightbulb in your dresser though. try to find a semi-insulated container for all those jars then hunt down a warm spot in your house, i would check it throughout the day just to make sure it never ever ever gets above 95... mycellium will decay at 106, which is bad. and you dont want to risk losing the organism in efforts to speed up the process.

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Al Einstein

OfflinePunkAlex
I was raisedinvitro
Loc: east coast USA
Re: nightlight=heat source? [Re: amyloid]
    #3224048 - 10/06/04 06:10 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

the current temperature is around 75 or so...will progress just be slow at this temperature? or do i really need to up the temp? The drawer is the perminant home for these jars. Its a security issue.

Edited by PunkAlex (10/06/04 06:15 PM)

Offlineamyloid
Stranger
    #3224087 - 10/06/04 06:17 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

you dont NEED to up the temp. but Ps.c. grows fastest @ 86f and its a very very noticable change in speed. if you want my opinion its definitly worth building an incubator if u want to speed up the process. for hobby growers with only a few jars you may just want to neglect heating it up, it will by all means still work, but your leaving more time for contaminants to take hold, and moisture to escape.

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Al Einstein

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: nightlight=heat source? [Re: amyloid]
    #3226640 - 10/07/04 09:02 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Cubies only need a minimal amount of light (a second from a flashlight everyday) to start pinning. Unless your growing them jars invitro I wouldnt do it or your gonna have shrooms before your jars are fully colonized and thats gonna create problems. If growing invitro then you definatly should leave the light in there and on and don't block it. Otherwise get the light out.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: nightlight=heat source? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3227755 - 10/07/04 01:25 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

"Cubies only need a minimal amount of light (a second from a flashlight everyday) to start pinning." This is only speaking of triggering pins, it does not at all mean an acceptable pinset by any means. WORD :wink:

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflineWhippersnapper
noobie
Re: nightlight=heat source? [Re: hyphae]
    #3227976 - 10/07/04 01:56 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

yeah just go to Rite Aid or Echerd and get a heating pad for 12-15 bucks. you want total darkness for incubating. or you could go w/ a tub in tub. i know this is just a temporary setup for you but try to stay away from using light as a heat source. or maybe you could put the jars in a shoe box and then have a couple light bulbs going?

Edited by Whippersnapper (10/07/04 01:57 PM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: nightlight=heat source? [Re: Whippersnapper]
    #3228577 - 10/07/04 03:10 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah don't other people go getting confused thinking I'm saying to do that to induce pinning when you want to. You need 12-18 hours of light to induce a good pinset but in this case were just talking about any pins at all not being wanted and only a little bit of light can cause this.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: nightlight=heat source? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3229064 - 10/07/04 04:39 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Ah! I reread, understood and agreed

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck