Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibledamnnation
Monsieur Rêve

Loc: Paris Flag
too much light?
    #3223808 - 10/06/04 07:22 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

i just got my fruiting chamber ready in my closet, but i have a question about the light.
i have a 40 watts bulb on the top(maybe 8 feet high).
so i was wondering, would it be better to get a lower wattage bulb and move it closer to the fruiting chamber or is my current set up good enough??

thx.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineReject
Loc: L'ville
Re: too much light? [Re: damnnation]
    #3223825 - 10/06/04 07:25 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

that should work... opening your closet door for a couple hours is enough light for the shrooms to grow.

--------------------
Any and all references to growing are completely facticious, all pictures shown unless specifically stated are stock photographs found via google image search.

Offlineamyloid
Stranger
    #3224108 - 10/06/04 08:20 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

ive typed this same statement at least 5 times within the last 2 days.

Ps.C. needs less then one millisecond of light exposure to induce pinning. that means you dont need to ever worry about giving it light.... i doubt u could keep it from fruiting even if u kept it in a completely dark box its whole existance, as long as u droped the temp and removed the co2.

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Al Einstein

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: too much light? [Re: amyloid]
    #3226650 - 10/07/04 11:09 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

If kept in COMPLETE darkness, never looked at at all, they wouldnt pin. That would be impossible to do though I think. Maybe with some night vision goggles but I think even enough light for them would be enough to make them pin. The question isn't making them pin though, the question is how much do you need for the best pinset possible. Why go about doing things at a minimum.

That said, the light should work lovly. I used a 15 watt nightlight for a setup that was about the size of a martha stewert closet that worked ok. Pinsets weren't the best but I feel a 40 watt would have done it. I have a few very large closet setups now with 3 lights in each (15 watts each) for a total of 45 watts and it is PLENTY. However these are mini flouro blubs so the 15 watters are equal to normal 60 watters but still. If I were you and was gonna do anything, I would replace it with a 15-20 watt mini flouro (they look like regular bulbs but theyre twisty, found at hardware stores, grocery stores, walmart type stores ect) just because less power and less heat for a little more light is cool..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Invisibledamnnation
Monsieur Rêve

Loc: Paris Flag
Re: too much light? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3226781 - 10/07/04 12:02 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

thanks scatmanrav.
also, how long should i leave the light on?

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3227077 - 10/07/04 01:16 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

12 hours until the pins form then drop it back to 6 hours.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: too much light? [Re: amyloid]
    #3227565 - 10/07/04 02:51 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

amyloid said:
ive typed this same statement at least 5 times within the last 2 days.

Ps.C. needs less then one millisecond of light exposure to induce pinning. that means you dont need to ever worry about giving it light.... i doubt u could keep it from fruiting even if u kept it in a completely dark box its whole existance, as long as u droped the temp and removed the co2.

amyloid you need to understand what is being said here. A half a millisecond is all it takes to initiate pinning as in triggering them slightly the longer the duration the more prolific pinning will be to a point IME as well as many other grower friends of mine. Pinning is a stage where you will see a big difference when using optimum lighting and intensity. After that light is no longer needed as far as production is concerned and is mainly used to keep the mushrooms standing tall. Lighting IS one of three three major triggers period not realizing this is only a step backwards in your journey as a mycologist.

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation