Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineemprbasist
Stranger
is this cobweb?? pic
    #3207585 - 10/02/04 05:44 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I have a friend of a friend who is using the PF tek for the first time.. Was wondering if any of you could help out and tell me if this is cobweb mold or not? Cakes were just birthed 4 days ago and pins are now forming today, but there seems to be a cotton-like layer on top of the cakes, heres a couple pics of it..

Also, if this is cobweb.. are there any health risks in eating the mushrooms the cakes fruit? And/or is there any way to get rid of it?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: is this cobweb?? pic [Re: emprbasist]
    #3207654 - 10/02/04 06:22 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Kinda hard to tell since the images are so blurry.

If this structure grows very strong in a matter of a day , it is likely cobweb mold.

Offlineemprbasist
Stranger
Re: is this cobweb?? pic [Re: Anno]
    #3211938 - 10/03/04 11:07 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

heres a clearer picture. the stuff on top is pretty bright white.. thats why im confused as to whether its cobweb or not..

Anybody have any idea? Anybody know what the health risks of eating these mushrooms are?

Thanks

OfflineRubbermaid
2nd Timer

Loc: United Kingdom
    #3214143 - 10/04/04 02:04 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Hey everyone, I just joined today but have been reading all the info here for a while. I really need to know if this white growth on my cakes is cobweb, or just more mycelium. I checked out the guide with the pics but I cant really tell. My mold seems much whiter and thicker. I have had the cakes in the terranium at 100% humidity and 68-75 F, for 6 days! I have had NO pinheads develop yet. Should I just give it more time? If this is cobweb, is there a cure? As of today I air-out the terranium every few (3) hours to keep the humidity down. Any help is Appreciated!

The pics:
http://www.geocities.com/schaef975000/DSC00792.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/schaef975000/DSC00793.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/schaef975000/DSC00794.JPG

Thanks

--------------------
"Rubbermaid" is a curious purely fictional character and does not exist, and would never do anything illegal.

Offlineiamgod
just some dudesome where

Loc: Crooklyn, New York
    #3214273 - 10/04/04 02:32 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

emprbasist:
That is definately some heavy duty cobweb. I would'nt worry about eating the fruits since in my experience the cobweb doesn't let them grow well at all.

Rubbermaid:
Doesn't look like cobweb. Seem your myc is puffing up from the huge amount of humidity generated by your perlite carpet.

--------------------
If what you seek is truth then drugs can not offer truth. Drugs can offer the truth of drugs.......Altered states. Truth is not an altered state of mind. ~ Big Headed Nice Guy Who Loves You And Your Dog

http://www.inlibertyandfreedom.com/Flash/Think_It_Over.swf

Offlinepacopaco
Mad Hatter

Loc: Upstate New York
    #3214312 - 10/04/04 02:40 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I've never dealt w/ cobweb mold (knock on wood) but I've heard that a 1% solution of hydrogen peroxide will kill it and not harm your cakes (may hinder growth for a period of time) Just spray it w/ dilutued h202 and you should be fine. Oh - I'm no mycologist but I'm pretty sure cobweb mold is more of a nuisance than a health hazard, if you cure it you might be ok. But I have always tossed contamed cakes just because they are so cheap to make and I make a batch of a dozen or so at once so if i lose a few i dont care.

Offlineemprbasist
Stranger
Re: is this cobweb?? pic [Re: iamgod]
    #3214721 - 10/04/04 04:19 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

the thing is, all of my cakes are pinning right now, and on one of the cakes they are pretty much half way grown.. everyone says that you probably won't get any fruiting with cobweb but all of mine are beginning to fruit, thats why I dont know if it is cobweb..

OfflineRubbermaid
2nd Timer

#3217688 - 10/05/04 10:12 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

emprbasist, i have absolutely no fruiting on any of mine and I guess that mine has no cobweb. I took some cakes out of the jars early. When I made PF cakes, I did not grind the brown rice very fine, it is more like crushed rice so the cakes are pretty compact with almost no mycelium structure on the insides. I am wondering if the mycelium will not fruit until it colonizes more. I reduced temp, gave it plenty of light, and have humidity at 100% and there is no fruiting. Is there somthing I must do to trigger it more? I have never had this problem before with flour.

--------------------
"Rubbermaid" is a curious purely fictional character and does not exist, and would never do anything illegal.

Offlinepacopaco
Mad Hatter

Loc: Upstate New York
Re: is this cobweb?? pic [Re: Rubbermaid]
    #3218214 - 10/05/04 12:45 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

if you took the cakes out early then they may not fruit for a while or at all, it is definitely worth it to wait a while cause then this happens... http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...3d2186199c5a7a0

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#3219710 - 10/05/04 06:59 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

empirbasist:  The last pic you showed indicates the fuzz has grown considerably.  The pics really look more like a Mucor or Rhizopus mold. . .but the lumpy growth is definitely a fungi perfecti :wink: 
So I'm really not sure. . .I have seen cakes that for some reason have a shizophrenic nature and only make 'lumps and fuzz'.  It really looks like mold, though.  Color me stumped on that one.  Do you have other cakes that are from the same innoculum?  If so, how do they look?

Rubbermaid;  I thought things looked clean until I saw the last pic.  The brown stuff in the middle is not good. 

Both of you guys have a similar type of mycelium growth;  Whether it's in response to environmental conditions or contamination is tough to say. 

MAIA?

Offlineemprbasist
Stranger
Re: is this cobweb?? pic [Re: Suntzu]
    #3219871 - 10/05/04 07:46 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

heres updated pics.. as you can see one of the cakes has a couple that are ready to pick. I think they look pretty normal but im not exactly that experienced with determining that.

By the way, i've been fanning the cakes and misting the chamber so the fuzz that was on top has gone down considerably. Let me know what you think, i need to know if these are ok to eat!

Thanks.

Invisibleshobimono
Why?
    #3221488 - 10/06/04 01:25 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Do the mushrooms really "absorb" contams?

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #3222853 - 10/06/04 01:09 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

empirbasist: It's really hard to tell but it looks like contamination to me. Strange thing was, it stopped. Although the possible contaminant has stalled its growth, i wouldn't advice consuming those mushrooms. You seem having other healthy cakes, so i don't think it's such a great loss.

Rubbermaid: I completely agree with Suntzu. That's rizomorphic growth. It seems there's already some primordia growing, so it will be pinning in no time. Just lower the humidity, fan, fan, fan !

shobimono: mushrooms absorb toxins from contaminants. Some toxins can be dangerous to everyone in general but others might be dangerous just if you're allergic to it. Others can give you a heck of a diarrhea and other symptoms. In any case is important to identify the contaminant and proceed accordingly. If it isn't identified, one should not consume in any way.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflineRubbermaid
2nd Timer

#3223290 - 10/06/04 03:23 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the help, but if the growth of uncolonized mold in the middle of that last cake does not spread, would it be ok to keep in the terranium? I haver another cake not pictured that has really bad (+50%) of that growth on it, but the mycelium is still growing well. I know I need to buy the Mushroom Cultivator or other book, but, it seems that that mold is not spreading to other bakes.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order