Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSerratedFrond
Pinning

Incubator problems. . .
    #3222083 - 10/06/04 10:08 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I am currently incubating 12 jars in a tupperware container. The container is on a metal shelving unit with a heating pad underneath it. My problem is that this heating pad is not doing any of the work I assumed it would. I can only manage to get the temp. 1 degree higher than the rest of the room. Which right now is 70 degrees. I cant convince my roomate to turn up the thermostat yet since we havent sealed our windows off. (Annual winter activity). I am thinnking that the tupperware and the metal shelving is sucking up too much of the heat and maybe placing the pad inside the tupperware will affect it more? I dont know . .what other incubating options are there? Thanks!

--------------------

Genesis 1:29
AsalamAlakum ~ SF

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineamyloid
Stranger
Re: Incubator problems. . . [Re: SerratedFrond]
    #3222103 - 10/06/04 10:17 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

i find heating pads get too hot to risk direct contact to your jars, and your probably right about that metal shelving unit displacing the heat. i would suggest investing some loot in a better heating element, or just gank one. the aquarium water heater stuck in the bottom of rubbermaid container A, with some water in it, then rubbermaid B sits inside rubbermaid A so that water covers the sides of B. the aquarium heater has a really accurate temp adjustment and its easy to keep the whole setup at a constant 86. anno has a tek on this setup somewhere on this site, it has much better instructions then i can give.

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Al Einstein

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #3222105 - 10/06/04 10:17 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Incubator set up.

1. First thing get your bottom tub and put in your heater. I also add a water pump to mix the water that way it heats up much more evenly but it isn?t a necessary item. I got the tape from a boat shop and it has been working for some time. Good stuff for underwater.

2. Next put something (I used tall half pints) in each corner of the tub. This will keep the heater and pump safe from being smashed if I put in to many jars or do something stupid.

3. Now be sure to set the heater before you put on the top tub. I attach the top tub with zip ties cause the top tub will want to float.

4. Add the water. I like to add as much water as I can before it starts to spill out.

5. If you use the heaters with the external controls set them now to get ready for the jars. Mine use a dial and a sensor that gives the temp inside the chamber rather then the water. It also has a metal bulb rather then a glass one.

6. Finished

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

#3222141 - 10/06/04 10:30 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Alright, here's where people go wrong with heating pads: You don't want to enclose the system but keep it open air instead.

The way you get the right temperature is turn your heating pad on low, lay it flat out (no folding) and put about 2 magazines over it and then a couple layers of paper towel. That should be about right. If you want less heat, more towels. If you want more, you can remove a magazine or substitute for a smaller one.

Heat is going to accumulate to ridiculous levels if you keep it enclosed. The heating pad isn't going to achieve the perfect temperature that the thermostat on an aquarium heater can achieve so you need both a buffer layer to promote even heatflow (so the jars reach relative equilibrium) and it needs to be open-air so the heat is coming from only one source rather than bombarding the jars from every direction in an enclosed area, allowing them to bake.

All that said, it works fine for jars (be sure to cover them up of course) but really shines for casings. It's the perfect small-area casing incubation solution.

Sidenote: Not all heating pads are a firehazard. Ever since I was born, my parents have run 3 or 4 heating pads in the garage for the cats during winter. Never even had one quit working.

Offlineamyloid
Stranger
Re: Incubator problems. . . [Re: Magash]
    #3222150 - 10/06/04 10:32 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

are those digital thingamabobs in the surgeprotector part of the aquarium heaters? or is that something else u have... where can i get em!

youve inspired me to make some upgrades.

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Al Einstein

OfflineSerratedFrond
Pinning

#3222233 - 10/06/04 10:50 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Ayrios, yeah thats what I have basically. I dont have it enclosed anywhere. I have it underneath my container. Without any magazines, or even the covering the heating pad came with on it. However it still does not raise the temperature inside the tupperware. Odd hey? I have both a digital and analog thermometer reading inside the tupperware. Thanks everyone

--------------------

AsalamAlakum ~ SF

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Incubator problems. . . [Re: amyloid]
    #3222245 - 10/06/04 10:52 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

i got em on e-bay. The digital things are where you set the temps. Nice not taking the thing apart to get to the heater to set the temps. The thing also comes with a temp sensor that you can put in the chamber so that the heater runs off of the inside temp of the chamber rather then the water temp surrounding it.

#!?A( "1 lD6(2 m%=4//E!\ }0$3%E^

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

#3222251 - 10/06/04 10:54 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I've tried with jars in a tupperware over the heating pad before as well. It didn't work. I think the polyethylene just disperses too much of the heat in its travel through.

If you really want results, you can put the heating pad in the container, add the buffer layer and add the jars on top of that. Or just drop the container altogether.

OfflineSerratedFrond
Pinning

#3222296 - 10/06/04 11:07 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Drop the container? Not in my hellishly filthy duplex . . Im afraid . .of the dark yes, but also contams.

--------------------

AsalamAlakum ~ SF

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

#3222347 - 10/06/04 11:19 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I've done 24 jars like that in the cabinets under the bathroom sink with no contams before I rigged up a cooler for incubating. I already said you need to cover them from light. If you've got polyfill and/or Tyvek, or you don't have any gas exchange at all, you shouldn't worry much about contaminated jars...

"Fear of the dark, fear of the daaark, I have a constant fear that pinning's almost here" -Iron Maiden

OfflineSammy
Between the fold

Loc: you'll shoot yer eye out ...
    #3222373 - 10/06/04 11:26 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I say........... do what Magash says. I tried this incubator setup for my morells for the first time. WOW it's very reliable. You've already got the rubbermade containers, fill one of those fuckers up with a little water and chuck an in-tank heater in there. I use the idea of metal clamps around it to hold the heater to the bottom. You can do a few things to secure it to the bottom.. but make sure to keep to this point, you don't want melted containers.. .. .. and then wet jars would we?? Spend yer'self 15 bux at Wallyworld and pick up a Tetra 10-30 Gal heater and turn it to about 3/4 temp. Works wonderzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

BTW, THANK YOU Shroomery members for helping me with my new incubator, it's sweet!!

Sammy

--------------------

I believe in the Golden Rule ? The Man with the Gold . . . Rules.
- Mr. T

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.

Loc: Middle of nowhere
    #3222947 - 10/06/04 01:33 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

the metal is stealing all of your heat by conduction.

put a towel under that puppy. i use towels instead of magazines, they let the heat through a bit better but still work to move the heat around.

i keep my rubbermaid closed when i incubate, but i don't leave the lid completely sealed. i also have a clean blanket thrown over the top of it.

i'd reccomend putting that heating pad cover back on there, it's fire retardant and will help prevent a fire, major concern with heating pad use.

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix