Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
How to gage full colonization(pictures as asked)
    #3221701 - 10/06/04 05:01 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Just a quick question. My jars are 6 days old. Most of my GT jars are completed colonizing the glass surface area. It's still not as fluffy as cakes I see from you guys. I can still see through some of the mycelium. When should I call it completed? When I can't through anymore?

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Edited by Sam1912 (10/06/04 08:40 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHamurabi
the babylonianleader..

Loc: Greece
Re: How to gage full colonization [Re: Sam1912]
    #3221716 - 10/06/04 05:19 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

well post some photos and wewill help you better

Invisiblepsilomonkey
Twisted brainwrong of a oneoff man mental

Loc: Airstrip One
    #3221720 - 10/06/04 05:24 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I wait until the mycelium covers all the visible surface, then give it 2/3 days extra, just for luck.

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3221732 - 10/06/04 05:38 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I tried posting pics. Then the thread went in direction of "oh, it has to be cobwebs." But I'll post some next time I take a peek. I'm trying not to look at them so much now, because I've been looking at them every few hours until yesterday. Hopefully, keeping them in the dark now until birth will do the light trick.

I'll give it a few extra days after 100% thingy, psilomonkey.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Re: How to gage full colonization [Re: Hamurabi]
    #3221913 - 10/06/04 08:38 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Okay.. Here's where I stand right now...

6 days old.

--------------------

Offlinepizzle3k
Midwest Mushin!
Male

#3222016 - 10/06/04 09:42 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

let em' colonize til they are a nice bright white,with lots of stringy white hair inside the jar just so you know the mycelium has got a good hold on things

OfflineInnernaut
MycologicalNetworkTechnician

#3222095 - 10/06/04 10:13 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Let those cakes sit in the darkness for a few more days. You shouldn't be able to see any verm... only bright white mycelium. GL

--------------------

Offlineamyloid
Stranger
    #3222116 - 10/06/04 10:21 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

>I'm trying not to look at them so much now, because I've been looking at them every few hours until yesterday. Hopefully, keeping them in the dark now until birth will do the light trick.

just so you know, Pc needs only a millisecond of light exposure to iniate pinning. i find no differnce between keeping them in the dark and checking on them. its pretty rare that i want to prevent my jars from pinning, so i just neglect any sort of light protection.

to learn more about the millisecond of light exposure look on this site for studies on the 480nm wavelength of light.

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Al Einstein

Offlineiluan
Keep your stickon the ice.
Male User Gallery

Loc: lookin at crazy in the re...
    #3222136 - 10/06/04 10:29 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

another 4 or 5 days, quit looking at em so much  :crazy2:

--------------------
Remember..if the women don't find ya handsome,they should atleast find ya handy!

I do what i can with what i don't have!

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3222218 - 10/06/04 10:48 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

480nm is the wavelength shrooms respond to the most not the duration. I think you'd be better off search for light duration rather then getting a bunch of info on how shrooms like blue light the best. Reguardless, they only need a millisecond to pin but the more light you let get to them the more likly they are to pin. Try flashing on a flashlight and then off as quickly as you can once a day to one casing then 12/12 light to another. The latter would not only pin first but have a better pinset IME.

I look at mine often and havn't had problems with early pins yet. I think the biggest problem is when the PF Tek jars stall and take like 4 weeks (some people say even more) to colonize. After looking at them every day for 4 weeks for a few minutes at a time is when people get problems. That's what I've seen anyway, unless your giving thm alot more light per day anyway..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3222315 - 10/06/04 11:11 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Okay.. I'm a newbie and I can't stand not looking at it. I've completely put foil over most of the jars. I have 2 jars of each strain for my viewing purposes. If the they pin, no big loss. I have plenty of jars. I do appreciate all the advices, though. Thanx, guys!

BTW, thanx for pointing me to make a dark syringe. I think that was important.

Sam

--------------------

OfflineMoneyAddyct
Picaro
    #3222732 - 10/06/04 12:47 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Hmm...I innoculated on the 4th. I don't see a damn thing yet. Is that unusual?

Offlinemycoguy
old hand

Loc: PNW
Re: How to gage full colonization [Re: MoneyAddyct]
    #3222766 - 10/06/04 12:52 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

MoneyAddyct said:
Hmm...I innoculated on the 4th. I don't see a damn thing yet. Is that unusual?

dude, it's been 2 days, you're fine.

Sam just has his tek down to a "T". 6 days is amazing for that much colonization.

--------------------

(and no, that's not me in the avatar)
Yahoo! Pacific Northwest Mycology Group

OfflineSilven
Male

Loc: El Mexicano
Re: How to gage full colonization [Re: MoneyAddyct]
    #3222787 - 10/06/04 12:55 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

If you don't see anything in two weeks, then ask questions, but two days is hardly any time at all when we're talking mushroom cultivation.  Patience grasshopper, all good things to those who wait.

- Silven :mushroom2:

--------------------
What do you bring to the table?

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.

Loc: Middle of nowhere
    #3222791 - 10/06/04 12:56 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

exactly. my first try didn't show results for a week.

patience is a virtue! you'll learn some if you stick with this hobby.

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3222913 - 10/06/04 01:24 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

And try to follow as many advise as these guys give you. I think tub in tub and using a dark syringe made things go really fast really early. Also, my syringes were prepared with 5% dextrose solution, so you might want to count another day into my jars.

Happy growing!

Sam

--------------------

OfflineShroomsbrrr
Frequent visitor
 User Gallery
    #3223214 - 10/06/04 02:54 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

How do you people get such fast colonization? I mean granted I haven't made a incubator and it's only been 3-4 days, I still haven't gotten a thing on my cakes. I guess i'm just waaay too impatient.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How to gage full colonization [Re: Shroomsbrrr]
    #3226594 - 10/07/04 08:34 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Like he just said the syringes were made with dextrose. That starts the spores germinating early. He made a liquid culture in the syringe basically..cuts out tons of time. Plus dark syringe..

Incubator is SO important. the difference of 73 and 83 degrees is like the difference of 6 weeks and 2 weeks. An incubator is invaluble and absolutly needed if you have any lack of patience.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineTheChiaPetFarmer
Chia Smeller

Loc: Iceland
Re: How to gage full colonization(pictures as aske [Re: Sam1912]
    #3227082 - 10/07/04 11:16 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, I can vouch for the importance of an incubator.

My karo jars were going soooooooo slow because I was using a heating pad (I was trying to cut expense corners). Well I finally forked over $30 for a tub-in-tub incubator and holy $h!t! My karo jars took off, especially the one with a pinch of nutritional yeast added. It keeps the temp between 84-86F.

Get an incubator!  :lol:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale