Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibletrendalM Happy Birthday!
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
My FIRST mushroom hunt
    #3222595 - 10/06/04 12:17 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Well I finally decided to get off my ass and try hunting for some mushrooms around my area (SW Ontario). As I am completely new to hunting I didn't expect to find much or be able to ID any of what I did find.

I hiked around for about two hours before finding a small patch of tall grass and trees with a creek running through it. The ground seemed nice and moist, despite the VERY dry conditions we've had here for most of september. Here's a pic I took of what the area looks like:

Now I didn't actually collect any specimens, so I don't have prints yet to help with an ID but that's ok. I'm not planning on eating anything I find on my own for quite some time :wink:

All pictures were taken in the same area (as shown above). I'll do my best to describe the surroundings of each find.

My first find was on a fallen log, and is something I've seen variations of many times before, though I have absolutely no idea what species it is. VERY tough, almost woody texture to it. The bottom is white with a spongy-look to it (lots of small little holes) but was also hard to the touch (though not "smooth" like the top).

I searched around through the grass (quite hard, as a lot of it was matted down into a pad almost a foot deep in places) before finding this small bunch of mushrooms. They were growing in a tight pack from the base of a tuft of tall grass. None had caps which were visible. I picked one and it was shaped kind of like that candy corn you can buy. No visible cap or veil on the picked one. I'm not sure if they are supposed to look like this or are just not finished growing yet. Pics:

I broke open the one I picked, there was no visible bruising after about 5 minutes:

In that last pic you can see a bunch of SMALL brown dots on the ground, which I noticed while taking that pic. There were a TONN of these little dots all over the ground near that small clump of mushrooms. They LOOK (to me, anyway) like pins forming, so I took a couple close-up shots of them. Is this what pins look like in the wild (only ever seen them on casings, myself)? If I head back there in a few days will I be greeted with a bunch of mushrooms? (that is the top of my lighter in the second pic)

By this point I was getting rather warm and tired, so decided to head back home. I happend to, by pure luck, come accross a find of what appear to be four different species all around an old tree stump.

The first that caught my attention were a bunch of small BONE DRY little brown mushrooms growing out of the top of the stump. Sorry, no prints on these as they were all quite dead and dry.

I noticed some of those big red/white mushrooms (the first ones I found) on the side of the stump:

I wanted to clear the grass/moss away from the sides of the stump for a better look at those two large mushrooms...and found a bunch more! These were pearly white mushrooms with the caps pressed close to the stem (but not actually attatched to the stem). Gills were pure white, no signs of spores (unless they, too, are white). I broke one open, but there were no signs of bruising after 5 minutes. They did not smell like your average edible mushroom, with a rather pungent chemical-like smell (made sure to wash my hands good after handling those, whatever they are).

My last find was DEFINITELY the coolest-looking of the bunch. I think I've seen one of these before, but never in the wild (though the one I saw was much thinner with black heads instead of yellow/white). It was growing amongst the grass near those other two large red mushrooms (actually it had grass going right THROUGH it, which I had to tear off to get a good pic).

Well since I'm just starting out, I'm not looking for specific ID's so much as tips on how I can improve my future finds. I searched around the grass for almost three hours and did not find near to what I had expected (though, granted, my expectations may be too much). Is that spot I looked in a generally good spot? I tried finding a cow pasture but there were none within walking distance (may go out driving with a friend on the weekend to find a pasture). Any tips, ID's, or advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Edited by trendal (06/23/06 05:17 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinevc77
incarnate
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW US
Re: My FIRST mushroom hunt [Re: trendal]
    #3222621 - 10/06/04 12:22 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Nice pictures! Welcome to the world of hunting. I bet you'll spend many more hours out in nature.

The last one looks like a reishi.

J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: My FIRST mushroom hunt [Re: vc77]
    #3222652 - 10/06/04 12:28 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

That last one, without the caps, is that just a reishi which hasn't grown its cap yet? Are those other large red mushrooms I found growing out of the logs what a developed reishi looks like?

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.

Offlinevc77
incarnate
 User Gallery

#3222674 - 10/06/04 12:35 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Heres a cultivated reishi:

Invisible@cro
new name
 User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
    #3222813 - 10/06/04 01:01 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah that antler is a reishi, it was growing from the ground?  :confused:
As for the developed red ones, they do have the laquered cap like reishis but their shape seems off, if you still have them or can access them easily try staining the bottom spongy part, reishis will bruise a brown color and its lookalike doesn't bruise.

Peace

EDIT: When i say reishi, I just mean some form of ganoderma but all the "reishi" types are closely related.

Edited by @cro (10/06/04 01:03 PM)

J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: My FIRST mushroom hunt [Re: @cro]
    #3222854 - 10/06/04 01:10 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Well no, it wasn't growing out of the ground. I'm quite sure it was growing from the stump underneath the other two large red mushrooms, but when I tried to pull away the grass to get a better look at those two, that "antler" one came away with the bunch of grass I grabbed. Didn't even notice it until then :smirk:

Any idea about those big white mushrooms? They had white gills, which probably means they're poisonous, eh?

Also, those "pins" I found...are they actually mushroom pins? I'm going to head back there in a day or two to see what's changed.

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #3222860 - 10/06/04 01:11 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Nice stuff and photos.

The first one, with the spongy underside, is a polypore. Polypores mostly grow from wood (they are among the main wood rotters). Most of them are inedible because they have textures like wood or leather.

The second one is a coral mushroom. It resembles Clavariadelphus truncatus. If so, a tiny piece should taste very sweet, like sugar. Those are rather small compared to the ones I find here in Colorado, so I strongly suspect they are a related species.

Good eye to have found the next ones. They are not pins. They are fully developed cup fungi from the genus Scutellinia. Accurate identification to species requires a microscope, but they are easy to appreciate without all that. If you find more, check them out with a magnifier. They have little hairs like eyelashes around the edge of the cup. With magnification they are one of the prettier mushrooms.

Dried mushrooms are difficult to identify. So we'll skip down to the white ones.

They look like Coprinus (Inky Caps). They actually used to use some of them to make ink. The ink produced that way is identifiable because you can actually see the spores on the paper with a microscope. The unpleasant odor suggests that they are one of the many inedible species in that genus.

The last one is certainly weird looking. It looks like an immature polypore to me. Ganodermas are noted for having a polished or shellacked appearance.

It looks to me like you're already getting the basic ideas for mushroom hunting. As you do it more you'll get better at finding things. Areas with trees are generally the best for finding mushrooms. Open pasture and grassy areas generally have far fewer mushrooms than forests. Any mushroom you want identified should be picked and brought home so you can examine it in detail and answer questions about it you didn't think of while in the field. Get the entire mushroom - dig down into the ground to get the entire mushroom stem base. Be sure to note what kinds of trees were nearby (if you don't know, take a leaf or two, or at least note if it's a pine or not). Limit yourself to only a couple new kinds of mushrooms to identify at a time (that's one of the toughest bit to do). Take the time to research in your books before you post and ask what they are. The time you spend looking through the books will help get you familiar with them and with what sorts of things you should be looking at.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

J♠
Male User Gallery

#3223010 - 10/06/04 01:47 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the info ToxicMan!

Well now that I've cooled off and rested my legs a bit...I think I'm going to go out for another few hours and see if I can find any more spots around here. I've gotten myself all excited now :grin:

--------------------

Offlinefreedomseeker
Crazy old lady!

Loc: Washington State
    #3224339 - 10/06/04 07:13 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

As I am completely new to hunting I didn't expect to find much or be able to ID any of what I did find.

I R Confuzed!?? It says you've posted 7284 posts???

Anyway...welcome to mushrooming! You will see new worlds that you never knew existed once you get down on the forest floor and start exploring nature up close. The beauty you see in a single mushroom outing can be spectacular!

An example is the wonderful pics you've shared! VERY cool stuff!!!

You gain a new a deeper respect for what is hidden unless you are looking for it. It's FUN!!!

Thanks for sharing your pics!

L

--------------------
"You must be the change you want to see in the world."
Mahatma Gandhi

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
    #3224582 - 10/06/04 08:10 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

if you eat magic mushrooms never buy from a dealer... either grow them or find them!! after limited luck with PF tek I decided to hit the feilds and found enough to keep me happy( add that to the benifit of not having a drug manufacturing charge )

anyways, once you find some actives( I think cyans grow there?) you can go back after every rain... tripping on FRESH mushrooms is the best , that you KNOW are pure and found yourself.

InvisibleDepthToTheCore
JeeBuzz
Male User Gallery
Loc: Australia brah
Re: My FIRST mushroom hunt [Re: freedomseeker]
    #3226295 - 10/07/04 03:12 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

freedomseeker said:
Quote:

As I am completely new to hunting I didn't expect to find much or be able to ID any of what I did find.

I R Confuzed!??  It says you've posted 7284 posts???

The shroomery forums encompass more than just mushroom hunting. Some members just sit in OTD and flame each other all day....they never talk about mushrooms  :rolleyes: :tongue2:

--------------------

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music." - George Carlin

J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: My FIRST mushroom hunt [Re: freedomseeker]
    #3226441 - 10/07/04 06:29 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Heh, yeah I've been quite active on this site for almost 3 years now, but have never been out hunting until yesterday :smirk:

I always either grew my own or got them from people I trust (who grew them).

--------------------

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #3226584 - 10/07/04 08:31 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Nice to see you over on our side of town trendal :smile: I like it when other mods venture over into this forum. Speaking of that, where's Effed's ass been?

You should get out thur and find some libs, man :smile:

J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: My FIRST mushroom hunt [Re: Gumby]
    #3226712 - 10/07/04 09:42 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

What are some good habitats to look for libs in? From what I've read (both in the forum and books) they grow mostly in grassy areas? Is taller grass better, or short grass like pasture land?

--------------------

J♠
Male User Gallery

#3226739 - 10/07/04 09:50 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Also, it has beev very dry here for the past month or so. I don't think it's rained in two weeks. I found a nice large grass/alfalfa field that I thought would be nice...but even the LOWEST parts of the field were bone dry.

I've got a few pics I took in a small forest yesterday that I have some questions about. I'll have them posted in a few minutes...

--------------------

J♠
Male User Gallery

#3226785 - 10/07/04 10:04 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

First I found this little guy, all by himself among the leaves on the ground (lots of birch and maple around). I tried to get a spore print but couldn't get one dark enough to show up on my camera. The print is a rusty-brown color. The gills were VERY light rusty-brown when I picked the mushroom (almost a beige) but overnight they have turned a much darker rusty-brown.

I found a few of those "cup mushrooms" that I noticed the earlier, except this species was MUCH larger (a little larger than a quarter) than the ones I found earlier (max 2mm).

You can see those white patches near the cup mushroom? I noticed them ALL OVER the place in this forest. The ground was quite wet in this part of the forest. I think the white spots are mycelium of some kind.

Now as for the libs (which I expect SHOULD grow in this area): am I much more likely to find them after it rains? Like I said most of the ground is bone dry around here :frown:

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #3227060 - 10/07/04 11:12 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

That first one looks like an Inocybe, although Cortinarius is also a possibility. Inocybes are almost all very poisonous, containing high levels of muscarine.

Cup fungi like that one are tough to identify accurately, even to genus. Nancy Weber says that when they get done reclassifying them using DNA that a lot of them are going to move to other genera.

That last white stuff could be mycelium of some sort. Identifying mycelium is pretty much impossible, unless you're using DNA. We need a fruiting body to identify it.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinevc77
incarnate
 User Gallery

Re: My FIRST mushroom hunt [Re: ToxicMan]
    #3227344 - 10/07/04 12:06 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Look in cow/horse patures along the edges (fenceline, or forest wall) in tall (mid-shin high) around dung but not in it. It would be ideal to go when the weather stays around 40-45 and has rained for the past week or so. Be sure you go out before the freeze though.

Check the low spots on the feild, and the shady ones.

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23488
Scroll down a bit until you see them for more info.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom