Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineThe_Baron
Stranger
sea of aborts?
    #3221744 - 10/06/04 07:56 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Hi! Some time ago i started my first mushroom growing project... All went well, i cased 4 trays with some regular growing-soil... i lost 2 trays to green mould, i think one of the remaining might be headed the same way... but one of the trays always looked really good... about a week ago i started seeing pins, and they have been growing nicely until now...

i started to noticing a few days ago that most of the shroom-caps are changing color to a darker hue, and my guess is that they are going to be aborts. nothing strange about a few aborts, but if MOST of them go that way, something must be wrong? there are 2-3 ones that still look healthy, and then there is a MONSTERSHROOM in the middle, that is easily twice the size of any of the others, at least 2 dm (8 inches) tall! Is it possible that this giant is demanding all the energy that the mycelium network can produce, so that the rest of the shrooms get to starve? or might the caps be coloured by something else? (they have'nt dropped the spores yet,im pretty sure of that)

Also, all these aborts (if thats what they are), how soon should i try to pick them? Ive read that its a good idea to pick everything that grows on the surface at one time, to make future flushes better, does this include aborts, or can i pick them as soon as i identify them as that?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinemrjim202000
barefoot andfree
 User Gallery
Re: sea of aborts? [Re: The_Baron]
    #3221823 - 10/06/04 09:30 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

did you mist the pins ..?? that can cause aborts if you mist right on them
if you knew that sorry i dont know what else

peace

--------------------
dont tell lies, there will be less to remember

OfflineHamurabi
the babylonianleader..

Loc: Greece
Re: sea of aborts? [Re: mrjim202000]
    #3221852 - 10/06/04 09:56 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

lots of Co2 could cause aborts too. try to fan MORE

OfflineThe_Baron
Stranger
Re: sea of aborts? [Re: mrjim202000]
    #3221853 - 10/06/04 09:57 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I think i misted on them on the first and maybe second day of pinning, but not since, and the mushrooms were perfectly fine for a couple of days more after i stopped misting directly on them... One thing i thought of was this:

The place where i had my casings standing from the start was an old box that my tv came in, on top of some bars of a material that (not to my knowing then) was semi-transparent. Now beneath these bars i had a couple of small lights (those red ones that you put right into the socket) to make the climate in the box a little warmer... Then when i discovered that my shrooms showed a tendency of growing downwards i understood that these lights was the problem (it was a very weak light, only noticable if the rest of the room was pitch black, but still), and put some big towels over the bars... Might this drastic change in lightning have caused them to abort?

still curious of when i should pick them...

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BurgerTime, Space Invaders
Trusted Cultivator
    #3222271 - 10/06/04 12:59 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

The_Baron said:
I think i misted on them on the first and maybe second day of pinning, but not since, and the mushrooms were perfectly fine for a couple of days more after i stopped misting directly on them...

still curious of when i should pick them...

1) you cut off the water supply...that is why they aborted.
mist them puppies up until 8-10 hours from harvest (if cake is not saturated already that is) :thumbup:

2) pick them now dunk them and keep misting! :thumbup:

--------------------

Quote:

pftek said:Impossible to clean everything right now. Maybe in a week.

ROTHBURY

:pm:

OfflineThe_Baron
Stranger
Re: sea of aborts? [Re: george castanza]
    #3225890 - 10/07/04 02:36 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Ok, thanks for the answers! But i did'nt say i stopped misting them, i only stopped misting directly on them :wink:. I read that misting on them (ironicly) caused aborts, so i started misting just the walls of the terrarium instead...

I keep hearing different stories, so could someone please tell me, should i mist on them directly when fruiting, or just on the walls?

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #3226027 - 10/07/04 03:22 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Gently misting with h20 will not cause pins to abort. Do mushrooms in the wild drop dead every time it rains? Of course not. As someone else suggested, your aborts were likly caused by lack of air exchange or humidity problems. I doubt that the big boy had anything to do with it.

Good luck.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

OfflineThe_Baron
Stranger
Re: sea of aborts? [Re: dog]
    #3231571 - 10/08/04 02:29 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Yes i always thought it was strange too, thought it might have something to do with the small amound of h2o2 i put in the water... but other people seem to be fining misting anyway, so...

Next question is a little OT, but wth... Im seeing a little bit of that green/white fuzz in the corner of one of the trays, and i thought id put up a fight...

Table salt i have, but what i stil havent understood exactly is what bleach is, and what percent of it you should have in a misting bottle, to mist right after you remove the contaminated area, to kill the spores... Is bleach=chlorine?

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
    #3231650 - 10/08/04 02:57 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Small amounts of peroxide causes aborts bigtime...bleach is chlorine
I use perlite as a base on a casing and just water around the areas on the sides that pull away if the casing is to dry...I sometimes place the lid or top part way on the top so its not so open it drys out ....I just do open air casings with no terrarium ie:the way Joshua does

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation