Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineProf_Farnsworth
Good News!

Loc: Pipe Down!
Good News!
    #3221535 - 10/06/04 01:52 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

After much research, and experimentation, i have succesfully managed one pf style cake grow with good results.
I am now ready to move onto casings, and would like some help. I have 3 pf classic h/p jars almost completely colonized.
I plan to use straight vermiculite to case with. However even after reading the tec's, and faqs find myself confused, and angry.

First off, what size should the casing container be for 2-3 cakes?
Secondly could someone walk me through the casing proccess. I understand some of the steps are optional, and would like a basic understanding.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLawson
The new boy
Loc: UK
Re: Good News! [Re: Prof_Farnsworth]
    #3221545 - 10/06/04 01:59 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23805

Im really new and for me that link is pretty clear on how to do it all. Hope this helps

Offlinericelicker
The Dude'sImaginary Friend

Loc: The Yard
    #3221549 - 10/06/04 02:01 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

You can use any container size just have the layer of crumbled cakes around 1 or 1 1/2 inches thick.

TD just takes a cheap aluminum pan, wets some verm straight out of the bag, puts 2 inches in the bottom of the pan. Puts cakes in brand new never opened ziplock bag, closes, crumbles, lays the crumbled stuff in the pan. Puts roughly a half inch layer of the wet verm on top, covers with saran wrap, covers with aluminum foil, then back into incubator until myc is breaking the surface. Patches. Puts in PMP.

All set.

--------------------
"my brain waves travel at half the speed afta we..." -del tha funkee

"Two men looked out through prison bars...one saw the mud, one saw the stars." -anonymous

Offlineaussieone
shroominator
 User Gallery

Loc: QLD, Australia
    #3221550 - 10/06/04 02:01 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

yep casing 101 is the easiest method! the casing container should be able to fit all the cakes so the substrate is about 2" thick, well thats what i do :grin:

--------------------

OfflineProf_Farnsworth
Good News!

Loc: Pipe Down!
Re: Good News! [Re: ricelicker]
    #3221559 - 10/06/04 02:11 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Thank you, thank you all!
Now i let the casing incubate, and than put little patches of verm over the myc poking through untill...

OfflineLawson
The new boy
Loc: UK
Re: Good News! [Re: aussieone]
    #3221574 - 10/06/04 02:23 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Once you have cased them, do you just store them in the same place or a similar place to where you stored your jars, then move it when the myc fully coverd it?

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
    #3221576 - 10/06/04 02:25 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

For starters, I'm still colonizing my first set of jars...

But I did have a trouble understanding the workings of casing for awhile until I read through lots and lots of threads... I hope this will clarify your understanding thus the procedures.

Purpose:
1. Substrate has more than enough nutrient, and moisture is the limiting factor. So provide an effect means to privide the mycelium with water until the nutrient runs out.
2. Provide a layer of material to hold in moisture thus providing mycelium with more ideal condition of fruiting.

Concept:

1a. A layer is moist vermiculite gets attached to the mycelium. You keep the vermiculite as saturated as possible without getting standing water. The mycelium will draw moisture from this layer and provide needed moisture.

1b. Control of knotting and pinning is used to time to achieve maximum fruiting. Using pinning strategy, pin the cake evenly before it becomes overlayed.(this is what happens if mycelium keeps growing. That's why teks and people talk about timing of when to initiate pinning)

2b. A moist layer on vermiculite on top and bottom basically gives that "wrapped in wet towel" effect. The procedures regarding controlling moisture in the fruiting chamber vary.

Okay.. to your questions. I've heard few of trials now about this... I think it was decided that less cake yielded higher yield per cake. But the difference wasn't that much. I was planning on using 2 cakes per 9"x9" pan. Since you have 3, try 1 in one and 2 in the other. Your fruiting chamber condition and stuff might produce more one way or the other.

Procedure wise, keep in mind what the concept is behind each step and it'll make sense to you. Anyways, that's about all I can help you with for now.

Sam

PS, experts, please correct me if I was wrong about something.

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
    #3221579 - 10/06/04 02:28 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I think hypae has the best pinning strategies. Ask him.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
    #3221670 - 10/06/04 04:10 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

With it being your first casing you might want to go with one of the mini-casings methods. Chances are a mistake will happen along the way, no matter how long you have been doing it problems can arise. With your first casing you can very easily give it to much attention or not enough, plus timing is always a big issue on certain things. I would hate to see you put all your time and effort, and not to mention cakes, into one casing. One cobweb over overlay and it will leave a bad taste in your mouth. I'm not saying that it will happen, but it always could. With the mini-casing methods not only will you have several of them going at once in case something goes wrong but you can also try different methods on each. With that you can time and test the results of each method and find out what works best with your strain, setup, mixture, etc.

There are many teks explaining in full detail how to do this. I can point you towards a few good ones if you want to give it a try.

The basic idea is you cut your cakes in half with a sterile blade and put 1/2 of a cake in each casing. As for the container you can use solo plastic cups. Other than that it works basically like a normal casing. Bottom layer, cake, top layer. You can put it in a fruiting chamber or just put a plastic bag over it with a rubber band. With the plastic bag idea you hand mist the bag and slowly move it up and down the cup for air exchange.

With 3 cakes you would be able to have 6 small casings and in each one you could do something slightly different. One could be all verm, while another verm with a 50/50 mix. One you could dunk, while another you don't. One you cold shock, another you don't, and so on and so on. If you keep the preparation method the same on all of them you would be able to correctly judge what mixture that what you are growing likes most, which ones have more of a chance of becoming contaminated, how often to fan or mist, etc.

Every strain reacts a little differently, not to mention outside environments for your area can effect things to. If anyone every tells you that their method is the best one for everything, they don't know what they are talking about. Anything from climate to elevation can change things. So experiment and you'll be able to find out what fruits best for you.

--------------------
Never Judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes, because then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate