Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinejihad
Stranger
Thought
    #3221496 - 10/06/04 03:30 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Thought is a primitive superstition. Reason is an irrational idea. The childish notion that we are able to think has been mankind's costliest error. What you think you think is an illusion created by you glands, your emotions, and, in the last analysis, by the content of your stomach. That gray matter that your so proud of is like a mirror in an amusement park which transmits to you nothing but distorted signals from a reality forever beyond your grasp. The more certain you feel of your rational conclusions, the more certain you are to be wrong. Your brain being an instrument of distortion, the more active the brain the greater the distortion. The giants of the intellect, who you admire so much, once taught you that the Earth was flat and that the atom was the smallest particle of matter. The entire history of science is a progression of fallacies, not of achievements. The more we know, the more we learn that we know nothing. Only the crassest ignoramous can still hold to the old-fashioned notion that seeing is believing. That which you see is the first thing to be disbelieved. A scientist knows that a stone is not a stone at all. It is, in fact, identical with a feather pillow. Both are only a cloud formation of the same invisible , whirling particles. But, you say, you can't use a stone for a pillow? Well, that merely proves your helplessness in the face of actual reality.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCrispyInfidel
Stranger
Re: Thought [Re: jihad]
    #3221580 - 10/06/04 04:28 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

<<and that the atom was the smallest particle of matter.>>

*shrugs* Different people thought different things. The main theory was that there was an invisible and indivisible particle or non-geometrical mathematical point that composes everything in the universe. The A-tom, as I believe Democritus put it. On the search for the a-tom we came across the atom and for some time some people believed this to be the building block of the universe. It wasn't long before the theory was scrapped though. It's the nature of science, keep what works and get rid of what doesn't.

This isn't some big misconception in my opinion. They had evidence that suggested it, therefore it was true until other evidence suggested otherwise.

Edited by CrispyInfidel (10/06/04 04:29 AM)

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
Re: Thought [Re: CrispyInfidel]
    #3222357 - 10/06/04 01:22 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

what you say is true, in that all our ideas and conceptions and beliefs about realities are nothing more than a way of looking at the world, essentially forming a self created illusion in which we can exist. Nevertheless our beliefs remain true for us, which is all that can ever matter

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction.

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
Re: Thought [Re: jihad]
    #3223097 - 10/06/04 04:17 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

The childish notion that we are able to think has been mankind's costliest error.

I disagree. The fact we think has something to do with glands, but that doesn't mean those glands caused it. Falsify this theory for me: the brain is the instrument through which we connect our souls to our bodies. It's impossible.

We're able to think, that's a given. Whether we can think up anything useful or 'true' is a question.

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
Re: Thought [Re: Alan Stone]
    #3223128 - 10/06/04 04:26 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

thought, or belief, is simply the way in which we shape the infintie unlimited chaos of reality into a limited structure in which we can function and exist. If we freed ourselves of all thought, we would enter the clear light, the nirvana of the budhhists, which would be beyond all experience, and from our individual, ego perspective, it would be utter death and annihilation.

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: Thought [Re: Alan Stone]
    #3223144 - 10/06/04 04:30 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

"Falsify this theory for me: the brain is the instrument through which we connect our souls to our bodies. It's impossible."

I so agree with that statement.

And to jihad: I disagree. Reality exists, but we each interpret it in different ways, based on the content in our stomachs, etc., which then of course causes our reactions.

The great thinkers of all time have come up with ideas that turned out to be wrong, here and there, but that's the nice thing about thought is that it can always be improved upon to prove the reality of our universe. Hypothesis are formed, and then turned into reality or disproven.

"The entire history of science is a progression of fallacies, not of achievements. The more we know, the more we learn that we know nothing."

No, I don't believe this. The more we learn, the more we know. Of course, the more we learn, the more we realize how much there is to know.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology