Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Herb Grinder

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Foodsaver and vacuum pump to dry mushroom
    #3220976 - 10/06/04 12:51 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I was looking at this, and they said 24"Hg vacuum. That's a pretty damn good vacuum. Has anyone tried to dry shrooms in foodsaver jars? It should take only take few hours to dry at this pressure.

Just wondering... If it works, I need to go find the biggest food saver jar or even make one...

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinemycoguy
old hand

Loc: PNW
Re: Foodsaver and vacuum pump to dry mushroom [Re: Sam1912]
    #3221111 - 10/06/04 01:22 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

i would think that it would damage the shrooms quite a bit.
Vacuum jars are a great way to preserve shrooms that have already been fan dried or dessicated though.

--------------------

(and no, that's not me in the avatar)
Yahoo! Pacific Northwest Mycology Group

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3221151 - 10/06/04 01:33 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Vacuum drying in organic chemistry is very common. So, you really think it'd damage the crop?

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
    #3221152 - 10/06/04 01:34 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Yes it does work, and you don't have to buy a large foodsaver jar. You can just get a wide-mouth jar sealer and use the jars you already have. It allows you to put the middle of the lid on, then you set the attachment on top and it pulls all the air out and seals the top to the jar. If you want you can then screw the ring on, but you really don't have to, the seal is very strong and tight. Just a note, when trying to remove the lid use the handle of a spoon and run it up the groove on the jar until you reach the top then carefully wedge it in-between the lid and ridge and release the vacuum. If you don't do this you will either rip your fingernails out or bend the lid. Also the bags it comes with are great for making your own grow bags. They hold up to PCing, you can seal them air tight and you can make them any size you want. Got mine on sale at Sam's and have loved it ever since. Great for long term storage of anything in the freezer. Fresh as the day it was grown.

--------------------
Following the rules is for dealers, knowing why the rules work is for innovators.

"Knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Never Judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoe, because then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
    #3221168 - 10/06/04 01:39 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

If need be you can toss in some damprid packs to speed things up.

--------------------
Following the rules is for dealers, knowing why the rules work is for innovators.

Never Judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoe, because then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3221374 - 10/06/04 02:23 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

They say pressure breaks down actives.

They say the same of heat though and I use that with no issue. I'd bet it would work.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3221386 - 10/06/04 02:28 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I think so, too. If it works for LSD, it should work for psilocybin, right?

I'm going to get me one of those jar tops and adapt it to a large jar. But I must get back to my first crop, which is yet to be birthed...

Sam

--------------------

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
    #3221690 - 10/06/04 06:47 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Well one of the big selling points of the food savers is the fact that the pressure is regulated as to not break it down, but just enough to remove any air that would cause damage to it. It also stops things from getting freezer burn. I have stakes in the freezer that are months old and I can open it and it taste just like the day I bought it. Have also kept a sheet in there for a year and it was just as strong and the day it was dipped.

I am wondering though if I was to use it on liquid myc if it would kill it or if the myc would go into a dormant state and thus last longer. Chances are that might work for spores, but not something like honey-water. We shall see.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3222023 - 10/06/04 11:47 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

LSD and psilocybin (or psilocin for that matter which is more likly to be what breaks down if anything) are VERY and COMPLETLY different chemicals and not related in ANY way. Whats good or bad for one has nothing to do with whats good or bad from the other.

It will quite probably work and not lose any potency. I think your right about the liquid myc though..you can't get the air out of the water which is what the liquid myc is in which would cause it to break down the same as it would. Liquid myc doesnt really rot though and stays good for months. Its only meant for short term innoculating jars..if your just storing, use spores.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: Foodsaver and vacuum pump to dry mushroom [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3224720 - 10/06/04 10:50 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I have yet to do any long term tests as of yet, end up getting to them before they get that old, but after 6 months I could tell no difference in potency. Tested against freshly dried one under the same personally conditions. I would say it would be a good addition you your equipment collection, plus it does have good day to day uses for other things. Not a high priority thing, but something nice to have.

--------------------

Invisiblezerozero
Stranger

Re: Foodsaver and vacuum pump to dry mushroom [Re: MadHatR]
    #3224811 - 10/06/04 11:12 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

i just got a food saver the other day, and in the instructions it says do not vacuum pack mushrooms!!
they re talking about fresh obviously, thought it was funny they didnt go into fresh or dry or anything, nice, thanks.
and just so people know only the more expensive models will vacuum jars and containers, but these would be nice cause they dont crush the dry shrooms like the bags tend to do.
hope this helps
00 :mushroom2:

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: Foodsaver and vacuum pump to dry mushroom [Re: zerozero]
    #3225256 - 10/07/04 12:26 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

As long as it has the port on it to attach the hose with the jar attachment it will work, but you are right, I do think they make models that do not have that. Luckily the one I got on sale already did. The reason they do not want you sealing shrooms is if they are fresh it would pull the loose spores out and release them into the air. This is not a problem with dry ones, or if you something on top of them like a paper towel. Just like when you vacuum meat you have to put a barrier in there so the blood does not get out. I just make a packet of damprid by packing some in a coffee filter, sealing it up with glue and placing it on top before sealing.

--------------------

Invisiblezerozero
Stranger

Re: Foodsaver and vacuum pump to dry mushroom [Re: MadHatR]
    #3225379 - 10/07/04 12:45 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

yea i got the 50 dollar foodsaver that doesnt have the port on it, i knew that when i got it, but i just wanted to warn people cause the model i got was the bottom of the line and i know most people will probably want to buy the cheapest one, so watch out if you want to do jars. and i think the reason that they dont want you vacuum packing fresh shrooms is cause you would have a slimy mess on your hands. but im going to email tilla and ask them so we can see what they say their reason is, cause they dont elaborate in the manual.
00 :tongue2:

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: Foodsaver and vacuum pump to dry mushroom [Re: zerozero]
    #3225697 - 10/07/04 01:34 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Yep, mushrooms are mostly water, yet another reason the damprid barrier packet works so great. Since it sucks up and holds all the moisture in it then it will not have a chance to go anywhere else. Prior to the sealer I used the old big bowl with a damprid base, wire mesh on top of that then shrooms. That would take like 3 days for it to slowly suck all the water out, but in a vacuum it does it much faster. No more waiting days before they can be tossed in the coffee grinder and made into chocolate, koolaid, jello, etc. Thought of it one day when friends were over, drying was not done and I made the mistake of putting ones in the grinder that were not dry yet. Still digging mushy chunks out of the blade. Kept meaning to post a tip about that but would drink some koolaid and forget.... :smile:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Herb Grinder

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation