Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleMy Third Eye
old hand

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Tool's Lateralus [Re: Faaip_De_Oiad]
    #338906 - 06/12/01 04:21 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

there missulena goes with those dumb ass opinions again..apc competition for matchbox 20? get real..apc is some deep shit..matchbox 20 is some bullshit kiddy shit..no comparison..and they are too weak?if thats all you listen to is loud noisy garbled up shit like pantera then i guess so..i think tec-9 hit it right on the head when he said tool isnt immitating themselves and thats exactly what they tried to avoid..what exactly do you get about tool? i want to hear some in depth shit so i know you arent just some poser.

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

--------------------
suddenly a flaming stealth banana split the sky
like one would hope but never really expect
to see in a place like this.
Cutting right angle donuts on a dime
and stopping right at my Birkenstocks,
and me yelping...Holy fucking shit!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemissulena
enthusiast
Re: Tool's Lateralus [Re: My Third Eye]
    #339683 - 06/13/01 02:30 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

the problem with lateralus is that i do get it i loved aenima because alot of it sounded fairly alien, it was more abstract harder to understand but lateralus music wise is not abstract, lyric wise i cant really comment because there are many ways to interpret lyrics but its not what i like anyway i did have alot more written down than that but I decided half way through that I am not interested in changing your mind like whoever you want too.

Edited by missulena on 06/13/01 04:58 AM.

InvisibleIn(di)go
People of the sun.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cologne, Germany
Re: Tool's Lateralus [Re: missulena]
    #339717 - 06/13/01 03:39 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

missulena: if you want something alien, then go and listen again to "Faaip de Oiad", the last song on the album... if tool was really part of the money making media, then why did they get into that whole big trouble with the Volcano record company?

i think lateralus is a great piece of art... my personal favorite album from tool... i just love the lyrics, you can see how maynard evolved through the years... becoming this overly spiritual person... i love the energy i get from this last album... and the artwork! oh my god! on the cover you can recognize how holy and perfect a human beeing is... the flaming eyes are chakras (even some of the new chakras)... the spiral that grow up from the heart chakra is the energy gateway, our source of light (we?ll ride the spiral till the end and my just go where no one has been) and you can perfectly see the aura... i love that cover... i love that album... although i can?t keep myself from listening to the old stuff :laugh:

peace

In(di)go

"All this pain is an illusion... of what it means to be alive"

--------------------

Offlinemissulena
enthusiast
Re: Tool's Lateralus [Re: In(di)go]
    #340364 - 06/14/01 01:53 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Thats fair enough, everyone has there favorite album. I still believe tool were the best band of the 90s

OfflineZAPenlightened
Stranger

Loc: Michigan
    #345103 - 06/20/01 10:36 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

I am troubled because I have two differing opinions on the subject. I agree with messulina on the point that Aenima was fairly alien to me, was a huge step forward from Undertow. It took me a while to where I could understand it (I still don't understand everything totally). A lot of this I think has to do with the internet. When Aenima came out, I had the internet but didn't check out the web much because of a 2,400 connection. I was informed on the radio when it was coming out. So there wasn't as much hype to me. I bought it when I bought it and took it in and didn't know what to think of the album of the time. It was very different than undertow, but now years later I consider it one of the few masterpieces of the last 11 years. I guess Lateralus is not as mysterious, as the band have opened themselves up as well.
After Aenima, some of us know that we salivated until Lateralus came out five years later. So of course there is this pressure for Lateralus to be 'greater' than Aenima. But if you look at it that way, I think you are cheating yourself. Nothing is going to be as great as the first time you decided you 'REALLY LIKED' Aenima (i could make a comparison to sex or drugs, but i won't).
However, messulina, to say that Tool is 'not edgy anymore' (or whatever you said, its not worth me re-reading) is an obvious sign that you are either 15 or you take a lot of shortcuts when thinking. Is that all you care about, a band being edgy, and on top of the crap heap in terms of popularity? If it is, I feel very sorry for you. If I was a religious man, I would pray for you. Go listen to the Bizkit.
My opinion of Lateralus is this - I have to stew on it some more. It is a much more personal record, the music is way more complex, and the feeling it gives me is very different than that of Aenima. Some songs almost seem positive on Lateralus. But I will not say that Lateralus is better than Aenima or vice versa. They are two completely different works by a band that is constantly evolving, musically and personally.
It would be like trying to compare Radiohead's Amnesiac to OK Computer. Not the same ballpark, people.
I pick up on something different every time I listen to Lateralus, and still enjoy listening to it every time I put it in. If it doesn't do that for me anymore over a longer period of time, than the album was not as good as it could have been. Thats all that should matter, not if it is 'better than Aenima'.

Thank you, messulina, for pointing out to us what a fool you are over and over through your replies. Much like watching Fred Durst give an interview.

ciao

Denial is not just a river in egypt.

--------------------

Offlinemissulena
enthusiast
Re: Tool's Lateralus [Re: ZAPenlightened]
    #345747 - 06/21/01 02:29 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

"(OR WHATEVER YOU SAID,ITS NOT WORTH RE-READING)IS OBVIOUS SIGN YOU ARE EITHER 15 OR YOU TAKE ALOT OF SHORTCUTS IN YOUR THINKING" by zap. zap please re-read this quote thousands of times until it finally sinks into that grit on your neck that a skull has grown around that you are doing what you are accusing me of doing TAKING SHORTCUTS you fucking retard, now I dont like lateralus it is complete shit now you have to learn to live with that dont you, repeat after me MISSULENA DOES NOT LIKE LATERALUS BUT I zAP WOULD STILL BE A PIECE OF SHIT EVEN IF HE DID there you go fuck off.

OfflineZAPenlightened
Stranger

lol [Re: missulena]
    #345858 - 06/21/01 08:57 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

eloquently put.
you really have a career as a writer, you know that? lol.
what i was saying, is that you take shortcuts when thinking (i.e., that you take a shortcut right around thinking and go straight to blabbering your adolescent head off - meaning, that you dont think much at all).
i assure you, i thought about my post long and hard before sending it (otherwise it wouldn't have been as long-winded, much like this post has to be)... and that statement i made towards you about taking shortcuts when thinking was evidenced by the fact that you think a band has to be 'cutting-edge' (a direct quote this time) to be relevant. i took a short-cut around redundancy (re-reading a post that wasn't worth re-reading), as I got the general point of that particular post. repeat after me: "just because Tool isn't making music for 15 year-olds, doesn't mean they aren't relevant"
trust me, i employed thinking when reading your posts, otherwise i wouldn't have written anything at all. you should feel honored...lol.
so thanks once again for proving my point at the end of my last post.
it is quite okay that you have the opinion you do of Lateralus, but not okay that you feel the need talk about it incoherently and profanely. save it for the MTV chat rooms.
(oh and by the way if you need a dictionary to figure out some of the words i've said, go to www.dictionary.com, it might aid you in the thinking deficiency you seem to have).

happy thoughts! =)

--------------------

OfflineFaaip_De_Oiad
as above, so below
Male User Gallery

Loc: Malice, Tx
Re: lol [Re: ZAPenlightened]
    #346453 - 06/22/01 01:52 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

heheh Fred Durst is a fuck-shit, what's wrong with being a 15 yr old? huh

Take off every 'zig' ...for great justice

Offlinemissulena
enthusiast
Re: lol [Re: ZAPenlightened]
    #346468 - 06/22/01 02:13 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Look mate just drop the age thing alright its irrelevant, I understand it holds the majority of the weight of your argument so I sympathise with your predicament but you got to come up with something else man. Maybe I am a little wiser then you and I have learnt that no matter what band you designate to worship they arent the be all and end all of music i dont just accept anything a band comes up with because its from people that are highly respected and have done great things in the past and the fact it has bothered you enough to post a reply attacking me all because Iam waiting for something better by any band shows your immaturity, YOU ATTACKED ME FIRST dont back out now and act all high and mighty

OfflineZAPenlightened
Stranger

they all drive killer cars... [Re: missulena]
    #346562 - 06/22/01 08:30 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

OK fair enough. I did attack you first. But I must say that my side of the argument was purely for entertainment value, to see if I could provoke you in argument that was a few weeks old. Which I did.
As for the age thing, maybe it's irrelevant, maybe not. Obviously I don't know you, you could be 45 and taking shortcuts to thinking (ok sorry..lol). It just seemed to me that with that 'cutting-edge' comment you made, that you were an adolescent that liked Korn, Bizkit, Static-X or whatever heavy band is popular now. In this case, age is relevant, because these bands are specifically marketed to teenagers with hormone control problems - and most likely the teenagers that listen to this 'cutting-edge' stuff will not find themselves listening to it five years from now (at least I hope so anyway). There was a time when I listened to Guns N' Roses, and did think they were the be-all/end-all of music, if that says anything. I also used to like Metallica a lot, to make matters worse.
Now that I have bared my shame of once liking GN'R and Metallica, I would like to say that I too have moved on from the phase of artist worship. I don't worship Tool, nor do I have posters of any band on my walls. As for liking everything they've come out with - I never really liked Opiate all that much, and Undertow is something that I liked a long time ago when I still had bottled-up angst. I guess it is fair to say that I respect them a lot, because they were my first real introduction into music that was actually ART. But the point I was trying to make is this - for me, I get an emotional response when listening to Lateralus (meaning, I don't like it just because Aenima was a masterpiece). I think of music visually as well, so sounds/music used in an interesting way, are all that I really ask for along with an emotional response. 99% of the CDs I own don't hold up to these requirements, so they are scattered among closed cardboard boxes that I rarely open.
I didn't attack you because you don't like it, I attacked you because the way you presented your argument was childish and void of any depth (for the most part) and I felt your comments needed an antidote. Obviously, others here felt the same. I knew I would get a laugh or two by provoking you.
Tool is one of the few bands that I still listen to that uses guitar&bass in the forefront and that have held up to the test of time. TO ME, Lateralus was a breath of fresh air from familiar voices. I can't say if I will still feel the same about it two years from now, or even tomorrow. But I do know that they managed to do something that was different enough (and showed growth) and gave me different emotional responses than their last album. And they managed to do it without relying on a synthesizer or computer - very hard to do these days.
I, too, am waiting for something great by any band to come along. I was so disappointed after NIN's The Fragile (mainly because of Reznor's lyrics), that my faith in music was starting to go down the toilet. As a musician, this was very disheartening so I started creating music that I hadn't heard before. I think other people feel the same. Hopefully, within a few years, this musical depression will end, and someone new will come along to bust everything wide open again. At least for a few years before the next depression comes. lol. Do I feel that Tool has done this with Lateralus? No. But I do stand by my opinion that at the moment it is very interesting to me.
I would have a conclusion to this post, but I feel that I have overstepped everyone's attention spans, so....

ciao

--------------------

Offlinemissulena
enthusiast
Re: they all drive killer cars... [Re: ZAPenlightened]
    #346819 - 06/22/01 05:08 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

For your sake zap dont lie to yourself you cant deal with the fact that you have low requirements when it comes to art and your emotional responses get aroused very easily similar to people that listen to korn and all those other bands you mention but I am telling you now lateralus is not a masterpiece its not even good the fact that you call yourself a musician concerns me though, because you of all people should understand that lateralus is inferior to aenima, maybe you should consider a career change perhaps you could try to become an astronaut instead or maybe a human cannonball or the president or you could even try becoming realistic and get a job that properly suits your abilities e.g labourer.

Edited by missulena on 06/23/01 12:03 AM.

Offlinemissulena
enthusiast
Re: they all drive killer cars... [Re: missulena]
    #346866 - 06/22/01 06:35 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Zap, You seem to know about korn so tell me just out of sheer curiousity whats that korn song that goes "taken up all you can suck and suckin up all you can suck suuuuuuuuuuccccccck iiiiitttttttt"?

Offlinemissulena
enthusiast
    #346961 - 06/22/01 09:10 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

zap?

Offlinemissulena
enthusiast
    #346962 - 06/22/01 09:11 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

zapenlightment you there?

Offlinemissulena
enthusiast
    #346963 - 06/22/01 09:13 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

zap enlightment you havent bailed out on me have you?

Offlinemissulena
enthusiast
    #346966 - 06/22/01 09:16 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

It looks as though zapenlightnment musician extrodanaire aka chickenshit has done a runner what a pussy,
goodbye then love and kisses to your misses Missulena

Edited by missulena on 06/22/01 11:17 PM.

InvisibleMy Third Eye
old hand

Folding@home Statistics
    #347940 - 06/24/01 01:48 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

missulena or whatever your name is..dont bother trying to change my mind..im not very easily influenced..i like to think for myself..if you cant see lateralus for its artistic value then its a shame..makes you wonder how many other great bands are looked over because they are not "cutting edge" there is one thing that you fail to realize..music has been around forever..melodies riffs and different rythms have been passed down through the years.everyone has there influences and everyone melts them down into something all their own..so nothing out there is really cutting edge..its the same ol bullshit broke down and garlbed into something new over and over again..

If there were no rewards to reap,
No loving embrace to see me through
This tedious path I've chosen here,
I certainly would've walked away by now.
Gonna wait it out.

--------------------
suddenly a flaming stealth banana split the sky
like one would hope but never really expect
to see in a place like this.
Cutting right angle donuts on a dime
and stopping right at my Birkenstocks,
and me yelping...Holy fucking shit!

OfflineZAPenlightened
Stranger

"Duhhhh, me Messulina. ugh. Me like shiny objects." (especially pierced penises) [Re: missulena]
    #348850 - 06/25/01 06:56 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

You know, Missulena, if the size of your brain matched the size of the excrement flowing from your mouth, you *might* actually have a point. However, I was unable to find one in there (yes, i know, this is what your boyfriend said when looking between your legs, but that is not my point).
Frankly, I was a bit bored with the argument and also have a little bit more to attend to in my life than checking a bulletin board at the exact same time every day.
This will be my last post regarding the subject. You are an idiot, and you display it well. I was giving you somewhat of a chance, to maybe show that your brain was made of more than polystyrene, but apparently my temporary lack of judgement got the better of me.
I still stand behind (now don't get aroused, I'm not a homosexual like yourself) everything I said.
The fact of the matter is that I provoked you enough to the point that you uncontrollably spewed oral diarrhea. You don't know why, you just did. Much like primates would beat themselves over the head with a rock someone had given them because it makes a cool noise. But then you were mad once you realized it hurt.
As far as I'm concerned, I was quite entertained by your complete lack of intelligence, until 3 or 4 days ago. So go ahead and have the last word - you earned it.
Ciao, and I hope you get well soon, at least for humanity's sake.

My Third Eye: don't you ever wonder how these people make it past abortion? lol.

--------------------

Offlinejustthiz
prozac über alles
Re: "Duhhhh, me Messulina. ugh. Me like shiny objects." (especially pierced penises) [Re: ZAPenlightened]
    #458002 - 11/14/01 10:52 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Tool RULES ... that's it!

Offlinesoulflyer
Exploringmusichead!

Loc: Vancouver B.C. Canada
Re: "Duhhhh, me Messulina. ugh. Me like shiny objects." (especially pierced penises) [Re: justthiz]
    #2131647 - 11/24/03 01:50 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

hell yeah

--------------------
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies