Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

Mycelium syringe improvisation help required
    #3220270 - 10/05/04 08:58 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I have no spore solution due to a freak vacuum accident and won't be ordering syringes/prints for a while. I have 2 colonized jar types to choose from to use with the poor man's syringe tek: verm/BRF/WBS and popcorn. The unfortunate thing about the first is it has a dry layer of verm at the top. I injected 12cc of karowater into the first jar and it basically slid down the sides to the bottom of the jars and I suspect made a mess with the dry verm. I was unable to suck back up any solution. With the popcorn... Due to grain size and the nature of the way popcorn colonizes, I expect similar results with the solution simply draining to the bottom of the jar.

I really want to get some quarts going right now. I'm not expecting another harvest for a couple weeks and don't want to wait that long to obtain spores :/ Any bright ideas to modify this technique to procure some spores? I could actually add a small chunk of mycelium from either jar in glove box conditions to the jar of karowater. I don't know what would happen... Would the karo act like honey and keep it from rotting? I could extract the chunk after mycelium starts to form in the karowater but that's just more exposure to possible contamination I'd like to avoid.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineamyloid
Stranger
Re: Mycelium syringe improvisation help required [Re: Ayrios]
    #3220319 - 10/05/04 09:08 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

you can spawn the jars with straight mycellium from the colonized jars, but this is very risky unless you have a really nice glove box and you pay extremely close attention to sterility. i suggest you try to cultivate some patience instead before you end up contaminating everything youve got to innoculate that one last jar...

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Al Einstein

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

Re: Mycelium syringe improvisation help required [Re: amyloid]
    #3220350 - 10/05/04 09:12 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

amyloid said:
i suggest you try to cultivate some patience instead before you end up contaminating everything youve got to innoculate that one last jar...

What? Inoculate that one last jar? What are you talking about? You must not be familiar with liquid mycelium teks.

Offlineamyloid
Stranger
    #3220424 - 10/05/04 09:20 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

heh

...and you must not be familiar with g2g transfers.

what i was suggesting is that you try a grain to grain transfer in a glovebox instead of trying to make yourself mycellium syringe (which from my experiences is much more likely to contaminate then an open air g2g.)

>"I really want to get some quarts going right now. I'm not expecting another harvest for a couple weeks and don't want to wait that long to obtain spores :/ "

cultivating some patience would solve the problem that u have. which is you "really want to get some quarts going right now" and you "dont want to wait" the one last jar is in reference to the jars you havent innoculated, as in, the jars your thinking about innoculating with but havent yet. it seems like your not being content with what u have going, so uncontent that your willing to risk what u have for what you desire.

"greedy man lose all thing" - good fortune cookie

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Al Einstein

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

#3220454 - 10/05/04 09:25 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Just because you personally don't have a solution (and I'm sure there are viable solutions to this problem) doesn't mean you should make up for it by taking shortcuts by judging me and calling me impatient. I have plenty of supply and I'm in no hurry - I just like having jars going at all times. It's a hobby and a fun thing to occupy some freetime with, even if it only includes a little fanning and looking at jars every once in a while to see growth, which I'm sure we all enjoy.

Shame on me for enjoying growing and wanting to try new things.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3220541 - 10/05/04 09:43 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

He did give you the solution actually. Grain to grain transfers. Use a spoon and scoop out a few peices and throw them in new jars. I'd wait until the jars you have are fully colonized though and do it in a sterile environment. If not done sterily you will get contams in your new ones but your old ones will just be in the casings or whatever you do with them. If you do it sterily though you can make lots of jars. You only need a small peice of myc.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

Re: Mycelium syringe improvisation help required [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3220607 - 10/05/04 09:52 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Alright then, I guess I'll give it a go tomorrow. It's not a solution relating to liquid myc but I'll still do it.

Thanks to both of you. However, I still believe there was no reason for you, amyloid, to be a smartass and recommend I 'cultivate some patience' instead.

Offlineamyloid
Stranger
    #3220625 - 10/05/04 09:54 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

>doesn't mean you should make up for it by taking shortcuts by judging me and calling me impatient.

im not quite sure how trying to help you out was taking a short cut and im sorry you feel judged ayrios. i didnt mean to label you as impateint, from what you typed it just seemed like you wanted to get some quarts done right now, and you didnt want to wait , i appologize for intreperting this as you being in a hurry. good luck with all your cultivation efforts and trying new things...

--------------------
-Al Einstein

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

#3220683 - 10/05/04 10:02 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I'm not sure if the bit about impatience was sarcasm or not. Just to reiterate, it's not that I want jars done, it's that I want jars growing. I like having things on the way at all times. A permanent bit of Christmas :P

Anyways, sarcasm or not, I've no hard feelings. I'll be doing the G2G tomorrow.

Offlineamyloid
Stranger
    #3220713 - 10/05/04 10:08 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

if u have good luck with this you might want to start up some agar work. ive just started trying to isolate colonies of rhizomorphic growth in half pint wide mouths until i can afford a nice flowhood. since you enjoy growing and like to have stuff on the way i think you might really like the process of agar work, and im sure you'll love the benefits of having your favorite individuals on file. =)

sorry for coming off like a dickhead.

--------------------
-Al Einstein

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
    #3220714 - 10/05/04 10:08 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I to have had issues with the karo transfer method. Was able to suck up the solution but the myc is not forming like it should. It becomes clouds of what appears to be myc, instead of clumps like it should be. Will just have to test it and see. There is no way you can angle the needle enough to get some back up? How about if you shoot a few syringes worth of karo-water, will it build up enough that you can shake it up and get one good one back out?

--------------------
Never Judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes, because then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
    #3220739 - 10/05/04 10:12 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Why can't we just get along? Hey Ayrios, I've read just about every thread posted here since I joined and you know you are one are experienced and very helpful. Haven't seen a single bad advice from you. But, I didn't know you had a spiteful side like this... kind of disappointed, actually.

Anyways... I think this MISUNDERSTANDING is better left buried in the local landfill than in our mushie pad. What do you think?

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

#3220748 - 10/05/04 10:13 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

amyloid said:
if u have good luck with this you might want to start up some agar work. ..

I'll have to look into it if I can make it through midterms :P

Offlineamyloid
Stranger
Re: Mycelium syringe improvisation help required [Re: Sam1912]
    #3220785 - 10/05/04 10:18 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

thanks for trying to smooth things over sam. everything is nice and settled. you're both nice, and are a great addition the dynamic of shroomery. again, sorry for being a prick.

--------------------
-Al Einstein

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

Re: Mycelium syringe improvisation help required [Re: Sam1912]
    #3220802 - 10/05/04 10:21 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Sam1912 said:
Why can't we just get along?  Hey Ayrios, I've read just about every thread posted here since I joined and you know you are one are experienced and very helpful.  Haven't seen a single bad advice from you.  But, I didn't know you had a spiteful side like this...  kind of disappointed, actually.

Thanks for the kind words but I hate to read something like this :frown: I'm sorry you feel that way. It's been a long day of class from 9am to 7pm (after a long weekend of remodeling my bedroom). I didn't mean to come off as spiteful though. It's just that when I think of calling someone impatient on this board, it's directed at the people who somehow don't even read the teks at their disposal and ask well-documented questions because they were too impatient to find the answers themselves.

Amyloid and I are fine now and I hope you don't think too differently of me over this :wink: I really wasn't trying to be too hostile.

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
    #3220841 - 10/05/04 10:26 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

If it wasn't for people wanting to try new methods or even just new methods to them then we would all be doing things the same way and never really advancing. Plus when you just stick to 1 method then this becomes more of a job than a hobby. Yes, G2G would be much easier but not as much fun as learning a new way of doing things. Plus if every time someone ran into a problem they decided to give up and do it the easy way then methods would never advance.

--------------------
Never Judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes, because then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3221967 - 10/06/04 09:19 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

G2G isn't "the easy way" or easy at all. If not sterile you will fail every time. Its no more difficult then squirt water into your substrate and sucking it back up. In fact G2G transfers would be harder and more difficult.

I reread your first post to think of more suggestions but you already have it. Just take a chunk of mycelium (like 2 or 3 kernals of covered grain) and drop it into a jar of karo water. Honey doesnt keep it fresh it just makes myc grow in the water which karo will also do. Then after incubating for a few days it will be usuable. Just suck up some karo water in the syringe and squirt it into your liquid culture then suck up the same amount of liquid culture as karo water you put in. Then your culture never depleats.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck