Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OnlineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
fungus gnat cure *solved*
    #3220250 - 10/05/04 10:54 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I have a fungus gnat infestation in my cacti garden. Are there any non chem meathods to cure it?

Edited by Gr0wer (10/12/04 09:36 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleStonehenge
Gone
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
Re: fungus gnat cure [Re: Gr0wer]
    #3222602 - 10/06/04 02:19 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

You can pour a solution of BT bacteria over the soil. That'll kill the grubs chewing on your roots. One brand name of it is thuricide. I got some at lowes.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

OnlineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Re: fungus gnat cure [Re: Stonehenge]
    #3248833 - 10/12/04 09:36 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I ended up going to franks on saturday and getting a bottle of what i think is neem oil. Its a milky watery spray. Whatever it is the flies were gone a few hours after spraying! I was amazed and relieved. I found and killed two today but im sure that was the last of em. I also re-sprayed to be sure and ill repeat in a week then again in 2 weeks.

They dont say the chem on it because they charge $6 for a medium spray bottle full. Im sure neem oil is 1/2 the price if i find it elsewhere. Either way im happy because i no longer have flies in my room and im sure my cactus are loving it.

Im going to have to move my pet spider elsewhere now, that guy has been chilling there for about a month and cathing shitloads of gnats. Thats why i left him. Mabey i'll just leave him there and see how long he stays. Crazy fucking creature, mad patience.

InvisibleGnuBobo
Frilly Cuffs Extraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Charisma
Re: fungus gnat cure [Re: Gr0wer]
    #3249793 - 10/13/04 12:21 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

How much was the neem oil?  And could this be used on fungus casings?  Thanks GrOwer!  :grin:

GB

--------------------
Jerry Garcia. JERRY GARCIA! JERRY GARCIA!!!!

Offlineagr8fulchick
Feed Your Head!

Loc: Stranded in Iowa
Re: fungus gnat cure *solved* [Re: Gr0wer]
    #3251157 - 10/19/04 12:59 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I've found that the best non-chemical cure for fungus gnats is a sundew. You can buy them lots of places, even ebay! If they are kept in a nice moist environment (may require misting or a terrarium) then they will eat up all your little gnats, they just love to eat them! This is a carnivorous plant, so if you consider getting one make sure you read up on how to take care of one (or ask me) because they can be a bit picky at first.

Another great solution is apple cider vinegar.  Just place a shallow cup of it near your gnat problem, put a drop or two of dish soap in the vinegar and they will come to it and drown.

Hope that all is well with you now! I don't know what neem oil is.

:sun:

--------------------
Life's a journey. Take the scenic route.

:sun: :heart: :heart: :sun:

OfflinePsilopleix
Extended Symbol

Loc: aridzone1
Re: fungus gnat cure *solved* [Re: agr8fulchick]
    #3253320 - 10/19/04 10:29 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Wow those sundews are really cool...

Offlinemycoguy
old hand

Loc: PNW
Re: fungus gnat cure *solved* [Re: agr8fulchick]
    #3254821 - 10/20/04 04:03 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I would just be concerned about other fungii and molds that the soil could harbor.

--------------------

(and no, that's not me in the avatar)
Yahoo! Pacific Northwest Mycology Group

InvisibleSearch59
Yet anotherhobby for me.

Re: fungus gnat cure *solved* [Re: mycoguy]
    #3306278 - 11/01/04 09:02 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

HYDROGEN PEROXIDE PEOPLE!

Of coarse the dilution in distilled water is important.
Do a search on the net for hydrogen peroxide and your problem.
H2O2 seems to be a cure for everything.

H2O2 is very different from other chems, for one, you can drink it (diluted) and the 3% stuff at the store, can be used as mouthwash.

--------------------
The only beneficiaries of Prohibition were bootleggers(drug makers), crime bosses(drug pushers), and the forces of big government(DEA).
(wheres the benefit for the consumer?)

You gotta check this out.
http://www.di.fm/mp3/chillout96k.pls

Ride the wave of the mellow fractal rainbow!

OnlineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Re: fungus gnat cure *solved* [Re: Search59]
    #3306288 - 11/01/04 09:05 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I tried that with no avail. welcome to the shroomery!

InvisibleSearch59
Yet anotherhobby for me.

#3306368 - 11/01/04 09:25 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

i suppose some pathogens have the same ability as us humans and plants to make H2O2 harmless.

--------------------
The only beneficiaries of Prohibition were bootleggers(drug makers), crime bosses(drug pushers), and the forces of big government(DEA).
(wheres the benefit for the consumer?)

You gotta check this out.
http://www.di.fm/mp3/chillout96k.pls

Ride the wave of the mellow fractal rainbow!

OnlineGr0wer
always improving
Male

#3306711 - 11/01/04 10:39 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

There larve worms that turn to flies.

OfflineSigno
manamana
 User Gallery

Loc: Purple Haze
    #3307146 - 11/02/04 12:16 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Hydrogen Peroxide destroys single cells, insects have multiple cellular exoskeletons.

--------------------

Correlation is not causation!

Invisiblezerozero
Stranger

#3307322 - 11/02/04 12:59 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

ok there are a few things to answer here, first, if you have fungus gnats that indicates that your soil has some sort of decaying matter in it or rotting stuff. thats bad. cacti should be the last place that fungi gnats should thrive. they really dig orchids ( bark+lots of h20=rotting paradise for the little f'ers). anyway if your soil is staying moist enough to support gnats then you should fix that. you will have the best luck with a loose draining soil that has plenty of room for air to circulate. second if you bought a bottle of stuff that was watery it wasn't pure neen oil, which is great stuff, but i found that within this year there has been a ban placed on neem oil seems it wasn't studied enough for to get a government approval. but it was all i used!! what now?... it will be back, i've already seen neem subs. and if you spray a bug with neem oil, it will kill it, even your pet spider, watch it.
i would recommend using a small fan in the grow area and getting some yellow card sticky traps, the air movement really fucks up their growth patterns.

go out and find some Diatomatious Earth ( hort. grade not pool grade) and make a slurry out of it and put it in your soil heavy. or just a dry layer on top of the soil, this will kill the flies as they crawl to the surface. this stuff is my favorite shit next to neem oil for killing bugs, any bug that walks craws or eats some of the D E will be killed quick. it cuts them up like if you tried to crawl through glass. totally non harmful to people unless you rub it in your eyes or snort it. you can even line your cabinets with the stuff to kill bugs as they are passing through.

and last but not least you can try adding a few drops of dawn dish soap to your water and this will scorch the larvae. this works well.

and i cant recommend BT for cacti cause of a you need to really flood your soil to use the BT like its supposed to be used, well thats no good for cacti, adding a dry layer of DE to the surface would be best way to not rot your cacti.

ninjas are always killin stuff.

OnlineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Re: fungus gnat cure *solved* [Re: zerozero]
    #3314850 - 11/03/04 02:45 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

yea i have composted manure in my cactus soil and i water every 1-3 days to keep growth up. There growing more in the HBW pot then in the cactus. Im going to hydro in 2 months (Christmas) so im not too worried about the gnats for now.

Offlinezer0vega
stealing happyhours

Loc: In a van down by the rive...
    #3334509 - 11/08/04 10:03 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I've got an indoor cactus grow going on as well, compost/manure mix in the soil.. same gnat problem... where can I find Diatomatious Earth or neem oil? how effective are they at keeping the problem from returning

edit: i also just put a few drops of dawn in a water bottle and soaked the top layer of soil.. how effective/safe is this for the plants.. (i also have some poppies growing)

Edited by zer0vega (11/08/04 10:20 PM)

Invisiblezerozero
Stranger

Re: fungus gnat cure *solved* [Re: zer0vega]
    #3335379 - 11/09/04 01:02 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

i find Horticultural ( very important ) D. E. at my local nursery/hydro shop, its made by glorious gardens, it is totally safe and will totally fix the problem, neem oil can be found at the same kind of place. it is also safe/effective but smells kinda, well, earthy, it makes my gf want to puke, i think it kinda smells cool, plus it smells better than most of the pesticides i've had the dis-pleasure of smelling.

and as for dawn, i usually use it on my tropical plants( not orchids or ferns ), and i have not noticed any problems, however as with any ' home remedy' i suggest you try a small amount first on a test plant or do it very lightly. soap is generally added to water as buffering agent, so adding a little shouldn't do any harm. i'm not sure about the plants absorbing the soap and making the plant toxic, i don't think that would happen.

but if your soil mix is such that you have a bad fungus gnat problem, then you should think about a lighter/ airy mix, you dont need compost / manure mix that is going to attract all kinds of shit, i have had the best luck with a perlite/vermiculite/ peat moss/ green sand ( also glorious gardens) mix
stuff like manure, compost, and blood meal/ bone meal inside will attract bugs and creatures of all sorts.

also, the addition of a fan in the grow area will speed up the soil drying out, which will keep the buggers away. and the fan alone will make it hard for them to get around.

and yellow sticky card can be bought where ever you can find neem oil or D E. those work well also, but cards won't cure the problem.

peace out

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden