Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebushsucks
Stranger
Help!!
    #3214594 - 10/04/04 03:46 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I having been growing for a while now. Recently i tried going from a straight verm casing to the 50/50+ tek. Ever since i have tho i keep getting contams. I used Sphagnum peat moss from home depot. THey come in the 3 cubic feet packages. I got the oyster shell and used hydrated lime for a buffer. I used the hi-yield brand lime. I mixed according to the 50/50+ tek and then i put it into aluminum baking tins and cover with alum foil and placed in the oven on about 170 degrees. I cooked for an hour- hour and 15 minutes. I keep getting contams all the time tho. What do you all think i am doing wrong? I keep getting contams on the first flush even before any fruits. I have had like 5-7 casings do this in the last month. And if not then right after the first flush. I havent had one 50/50+ casing tek get more than a first flush. But the thing is the ones I do get are so good the shrooms are big, fat and tall and there usually quite a few of them. Plus there are like less than a 5% abort ratio. I just want to know what i am doing wrong. Should I use different peat moss, do i need to clean it out better. (i try to get all the sticks out i can, but i read somewhere on here you needed to clean out the dirt and other stuff. Should i consider a different casing?

Ok one more question. Where can i find good poop? Should i jsut go out to a cow pasture and pick some? I found some once when I lived in WI at Fleet Farm. It was a compost/dung mix and it worked so good, rarely had contams, and always had good results. Now that i have moved to a suburban area in the SW, i cant find any commercial poop that works. IF anyone lives in the sw and knows where to find good commercial poop then pleas let me know. Thanks for all your responses.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline4hodmt
AspiringMycologist

Re: Help!! [Re: bushsucks]
    #3214637 - 10/04/04 03:53 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

use coco coir instead of peat. peat probably has a lot of nutrients, so as ur spraying/whatever ur casing in the beginning, it will probably allow for contams to pop right up.

--------------------
all posts made by 4hodmt are entirely ficticious. the user 4hodmt has noa ffiliation with any company, or organization; any endorsements made by 4hodmt are to be considered a joke. any similarity between a person (or story) 4hodmt is talking about is entirely happenstance. 4hodmt is not to be taken seriously under any circumstance. furthermore, he does not know what he is talking about. Please ignore anything 4hodmt has to say.

_______

"Trust me, I'm from the future.

Actually I'm not from the future, but I did lived there for a while."

- Baby Hitler

Invisiblemuse_sick
ĤŌĿŶĞЋ0$Ŧ

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Giu La Testa
    #3214641 - 10/04/04 03:54 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

well, it sound as though you are just pasturizing the casing layer instead of completely steralizing (in a pc or similar method)
other reasons for contams could be anything from your envirment, to your sterility procedures to a contamed print or syringe. try to eliminate as many variables as you can
as far as poo, you can find many teks online using store bought poo.
one of my favorites is 8balls Urban Neglect
you can also collect cow or horse poo from near by farms, the farmers are usually more than happy to let you use some for your garden. you don't want the fresh stuff though...
also, www.mycosupply.com sells some cool dehydrated poo that works great...

--------------------
:beakedwhale:

Offlinebushsucks
Stranger
    #3214707 - 10/04/04 04:12 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

So when doing casings should i pasteurize or sterilize? There is so much conflicting info out there. Would it be better to pressure cook my casing mixture in a bag than putting it in the oven for an hour?

Invisiblemuse_sick
ĤŌĿŶĞЋ0$Ŧ

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Giu La Testa
    #3214722 - 10/04/04 04:19 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

i'd imagine that with an organic casing layer like moss, steralizing would be better
i usually just throw my casing layer in the microwave for ten minutes
also this is just speculation, like i said yr contam problems could be the result of many different things

--------------------
:beakedwhale:

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #3215988 - 10/04/04 09:31 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I sterilize my 50/50's in the oven except I do it at 350F. for an hour to an hourand a half. Also when using poo make sure it's aged 1yr. optimally. GL

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflineLocoJRP
Re: Help!! [Re: hyphae]
    #3216068 - 10/04/04 09:46 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Do you bake it in the oven wet or dry?

Offlinemushroomman23
    #3216276 - 10/04/04 10:28 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

ihope you read this after all the other posts i was having the same problem for me the causes were to much rh and inproper air flow + dirty air flow. i use a straght peat moss casing just so you know.
i am no longer having problems with my casing number 1. i no longer fan my chamber i now use a small hepa to air my chaber 3 times a day. 2. after my pins form i dont mist the walls of my chaber after fanning
depending on your set up this may or may not apply to u i case my hole chamber and my peat keeps the rh just right. you will notice that your casing will need watering more often doing it this way by the prior to pinning i mist my chamber walls after airing. now a lot of folkes told me not to but i mist my chaber with a teaspoon of bleach to a gallon of water this will not hurt your myceilum and it also wont prevent trichoderma if think i am full of shit try a small test casing and mist with bleach i hope this helps you as i said i was having a hell of a battle with trich but after doing the things i told you i no longer have any problems. i hpoe you are not tossing your casing at the first sight of contams if you spot a contam put some baking soda right on top of it do not dig it up first all you will do is spread contams

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Help!! [Re: LocoJRP]
    #3216540 - 10/04/04 11:22 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

LocoJRP said:
Do you bake it in the oven wet or dry?

I always moisten to field capacity first helps to have steam.

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3217849 - 10/05/04 11:11 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Clean your area up! Use a little h202 when you mist, not much though. Get a HEPA aand run that sucker in the room the chamber is in right in front. Like 30 bucks shipped off ebay, I found one for 20 shipped as well before. Sterilize your casing mix and try finding coco coir which is found in pet stores as Eco Earth or Bed A Beast or something similar. It's a very hard brownish brick that breaks apart in layers and expands when you add warm water, used normally for reptile bedding and should be in that section of the store (I found it at Pet Co). Might help and you won't need lime. Just mix with verm PC for an hour at 15PSI after loading it into jars and then use jars as needed and it should stay nice and clean. Then make sure your making your casings in a clean place, sprayed down with lysol, use things to actually clean your work area. Wear gloves and a paint mask if you can and do it near your HEPA once you buy one.

If you do all this and you still cant get your grow to succesfuly go (I've gotten 7 flushes off of a few casings and I'm going for 8, my casings very rarly get contamed, only one so far out of many) then I will be completly shocked and amazed.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom