Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Share Epiphanies
    #3215443 - 10/04/04 09:11 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

e?piph?a?ny ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-pf-n)
n. pl. e?piph?a?nies
Epiphany

A sudden manifestation of the essence or meaning of something.
A comprehension or perception of reality by means of a sudden intuitive realization: ?I experienced an epiphany, a spiritual flash that would change the way I viewed myself? (Frank Maier).

Thats the dictionary explaination of one.

I was inspired to create this post when I realised someone thinks they can only have just one or that they are the only ones who can have them.

I've had to many to remember, but can recount a good handful. In them, you feel like what you are realising is the most profound thing to know. I'm curious about others here, please share.

I had ones about oneness, humility, surrender, compassion, relating, how everything is a reflection of ourselves, healing rogues and the fragmented selves, the cosmic joke of duality, just to name a few and in everyone on them, at the time, they seemed liked the purpose for being here and the most important thing to know about.

Then you come down from having your head sucked up a vortex and remember very little of the profound essense and they are next to impossible to elucidate through words.

I wonder why we even get them?

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Edited by gettinjiggywithit (10/05/04 09:29 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
Re: Share Epihanies [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #3215767 - 10/04/04 10:31 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I was riding my bike on a county highway this morning, before dawn, and there is a portion of the road that is downhill for a mile. I dropped to my lowest gear and worked up as much speed as possible. I stood up on the pedals and put my arms out and road surfed for several minutes. The rainbow of colours in the east and the cold autumn air was really nice. The epiphany was how much fun that was and how I'm going to do it every morning until it's too cold.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

OfflineIamHungry
Stranger
    #3216200 - 10/05/04 12:13 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

ever since my last mushroom trip ive been having so many epiphanies. mostly the usual stuff, like responsibility and spirituality and stuff, but id have to say that the one with the most impact in my life so far is when i realized that the only thing that makes other things good or bad is my attitude.

--------------------
Here comes the sun, do n do do,
Here comes the sun, and I say,
It's alright...

InvisibleApril
the tiniestspark

Loc: Maryland
    #3216295 - 10/05/04 12:31 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I have tumors on my spinal cord. I had an epiphany about a month after the huge surgery I had to endure (they removed most of my spine [I swear], lazered away at the tumors and ended up hitting some spinal cord nerves, and then put my spine back). It was actually the best thing that's ever happened to me, because I realized how things really are never as bad as you make them out to be.

--------------------

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #3217336 - 10/05/04 09:28 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for sharing those stories, something uplifting about them. Why and how epiphanies come to us I don't know but I'm glad they do.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Offlineeve69
--=..Did Adam and ...?=--
Male User Gallery

Loc: isle de la muerte Flag
Re: Share Epiphanies [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #9606795 - 01/14/09 11:00 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

old thread, I felt like playing, so shoot me

My epiphanies have occured mainly through drugs sadly to say, since when I was spending six hours a day meditating those were times of more penitent self discovery and longing, quite short of ultimate mystical realization, or so immersed in it that it didn't register so much. Years like that.

I did actually go through a huge a disgusting amount of metaphysical ephinies when I had paid for many rituals to be done for the benefit of all beings like a peace supreme, occult knowledge, but also mania and insomnia. 

The main one that ever 'took' was from one of my first acid trips where I realized how utterly bullshit everything about society is. And I haven't really ever made it back from that one.

I find the times of self confidence to be the real bullshit and that life has her own plans for good or bad for us all.  I try not to get too down about the manifestation knowing that all is pure sound mantra mind of deity - myself, with you, and you, all of you. Us, this huge collective deity called life. 

Of course though I am drinking at 10:00 AM so it's weasy for me to sound so positive right now. Sorry for the bummer ending. Okay then, later....

--------------------
...or something

OfflineNoteworthy
Sophyphile
 User Gallery

Re: Share Epiphanies [Re: eve69]
    #9610359 - 01/14/09 08:57 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

A drawn our epiphany I had was that people don't really care about whats true or not, they care more about living together happily. This was a sort of silent epiphany because when I had it, I tried to deny it, but after a while it became clear that no one I met was more interested in finding truth than finding happiness

Then I think about myself and wonder why the hell I care about finding truth and it i figured that it is because I believe that I can find new things out.. whereas most people think that they can merely seek to understand more of what the experts say.

Now this was rather annoying because a lot of my friends have those sort of deep self esteem problems and I will not get to express my deeper suspicions.

this is still healthy because it prevents me from getting wound up in my own suspicion

but sometimes I wish I knew more people who could put everything aside and try and take a new idea as far as it can go..
often the people I know who are like this are not the most logical and this frustrates me
eg when someone gets enthused about your idea and then takes it one or many steps further to absolute ridiculous proportion and you realise that they found the whole thing more of a jest than a serious contemplation

this was a solid realisation that I though I would share in this particular old thread

--------------------

Offlinetempingasashaman
\\\\\\\\////////\\\\\\\\
 User Gallery

Loc: under the rainbow
Re: Share Epiphanies [Re: Noteworthy]
    #9612707 - 01/15/09 04:48 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

real old thread, but good topic.

Quote:

Noteworthy said:
A drawn our epiphany I had was that people don't really care about whats true or not, they care more about living together happily. This was a sort of silent epiphany because when I had it, I tried to deny it, but after a while it became clear that no one I met was more interested in finding truth than finding happiness

The truth is inside you already. People who can't look inside are forced towards more material gains. Ignorance is bliss.

The one piercing epiphany I've had was on the downward spiraling slope of an acid trip sitting in my friends room smoking pot. Suddenly incessant necessity came to mind and I wrote it on a backwards poster. Always in a position of need (except in the middle of an acid trip)

--------------------
the greatest use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it

Offlineeve69
--=..Did Adam and ...?=--
Male User Gallery

Loc: isle de la muerte Flag
Re: Share Epiphanies [Re: Noteworthy]
    #9613082 - 01/15/09 08:35 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Noteworthy said:

....when I was a  kid of 13 I was tripping on Hollywood Blvd on a Sat night with two friends and a Mexican guy walks up to me and we started talking though we were talking separate languages we understood each other and made great friends that night, I felt I understood the trip that truth is not limitable to anything, and having shared I shut up about it, and then one friend got it and started joking about it, and one friend got it but couldn't stop marvelling in the fact of infinite potential in every spec of space, and he kept on blabbing until we were all really tired. It then being the next morning and us three tripping kids were buying a coke feeling that it contained the entire universe.... the relevant point being that I sort of got it and lost interest in even asking questions any more. That's not really true because I did study mysticism for 20 years after that, but this is my point.  I have forgotten the questions, and death my buddy is where everyone I ever might know will be waiting for me. Not heaven or hell, just - life - is all there is.... being.... all those gone before.... are even more present now then when they were alive. In presence, not in material. Sort of rambled.... sorry.

--------------------
...or something

OfflineNoteworthy
Sophyphile
 User Gallery

Re: Share Epiphanies [Re: eve69]
    #9613109 - 01/15/09 08:44 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

yer i hear a lot of people say that.. but deep down I just think that it is a way to avoid eternally questioning - which I think allows for eternal growth of the soul (as long as you descover new ways of interacting with and perceiving the world) which may or may not be significant in the afterlife but seems to be a worthwhile pursuit so long as you continue to learn instead of wallow in frustration and avoid the questions anymore.

not that im saying that you necessarily are doing that.. but this is the way I feel when confronted with the notion that someone has 'moved on' from asking questions

at any rate, I think humans just generally stop asking as many questions as they get older and more reinforced in their ways, more used to not being able to know everything

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology