Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinestugatz
Stranger
ID please on possible psilocybe semilanceata
    #3214412 - 10/04/04 03:09 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Hello, guess this is my first post. I've tried to read most of the rules but sorry if I do domething wrong. I'm also new to hunting mushrooms, but I decided to take a walk around the house today and see what nature had in stock for me. I beliebe I might have found a nice patch of p. semilanceata, but I'm not too sure. I'll try to describe them the best I can since the pictures didnt seem to turn out so good. The average height of the mushrooms are about 15 cm tall with a white stem, it doesnt seem to bruise blue, but maybe a dark purplish color, I kind of smashed it all up trying to bruise it so its all split in the photo. The caps are a dark brown bell shape about 5cm across and about 3-4 cm tall. If I touch the cap on the inside, it wipes a dark brown/black goo all over. The inside of the cap has long straight gills that dont connect to the stem at all. I found them in western Washington growing in some grass next to a rotting log, and there's a good number of them around. now for the pics, maybe they'll help but sorry they are blurry:

Maybe I shouldnt post two in the same thread, but I also found these during my walk around, the looked a little bit like cyans of some kind, but again, I'm not too sure. They are much smaller, around 8-10 cm tall, about 3 cm across the cap, they have a light brown-tan color on both the caps and stems. The caps are fairly flat and thin. On the underside, the gills are almost white, and they appear to be connected to the stem. I didnt see much bruising on the stems when I handled them, but this time the stems seemed to break apart in a twisted pattern, instead of a straight split all the way down. I'll try to put pictures in again, but they are a little blurry, so forgive me if they dont help much.

Any help at all would be great. If they both turn out to be poisonous or not active I wont be too disappointed as there's always tomorrow and lots of areas I still havent checked. But if they are the nice ones, I would be happy to have found at least 1 variety on my first hunt. Thanks in advance, hope I gave you enough information to identify them, and of course I wont be eating them until I hear back from someone who knows more than I do.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinevc77
incarnate
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW US
Re: ID please on possible psilocybe semilanceata [Re: stugatz]
    #3214532 - 10/04/04 03:34 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Your kidding me man...

Invisible@cro
new name
 User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
    #3214577 - 10/04/04 03:43 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

No and no. The first looks like a psathyrella, lib stems won't split up like that. and the last one doesn't resemble a cyan at all, some of the give-aways would be the stem, cyans have pure white stems except for bruising. the gills are not dark enough on yours, although that depends on development, and the cap is not of the right color, although cap color has many variations because of environment. Cyans are going to be few and far between for a while still just be patient for a couple weeks.
If you find a cyan, you will know. If you have to post "I think this is a cyan?" it isn't. they are very distinctive.

peace

--------------------

Offlinestugatz
Stranger
    #3214644 - 10/04/04 03:54 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Well, thanks for responding and sorry to waste your time. I guess I'll just keep looking then, I know I'll find something around here eventually. After I posted those and looked around the site some more I became pretty sure they werent what I was looking for after all. Again, sorry to waste time with this post but I was excited!

OfflineGreat Scott
Trigger Lover
Male User Gallery

Loc: Control Grid
    #3215863 - 10/04/04 08:57 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

hey, your not wasting our time.
We browse and read posts at our own risk

Here's my tip.
Look for very white stem.
Earth-tone yellow-brown gills. (way too hard to explain, matter fact, rule this one out, just observe macro pics of cyan gills closely)
And lastly, be sure to dig your way through leaves, and under low bushes, etc. The tendency is to just look out in the open spaces. But alot of times the cyans like those hard to reach spaces. It provides em' with some protection, and a sweet pocket of moisture in it's immediate fruitng space.

--------------------
:thumbup: :thumbdown:

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #3215893 - 10/04/04 09:05 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Hey Stugazt,

Here is a rather large juicy clump of Psilocybe cyanescens

Mj.

Offlinevc77
incarnate
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW US
    #3215914 - 10/04/04 09:10 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, sorry for the dickhead reply... I've just seen so many people posting with high hopes of actives and a specimin far from it. PeyoteZens provided you some good guidelines to keep in mind.. Be sure to look in areas with hardwood mulch.

If your looking for semilanceata (liberty caps), check in cow fields/pastures along the edges. They do not grow in poo, but around it, in tall (shin-high) clumps of grass. Check shady and low spots. Check along the fenceline or forest wall. They have a very distinct look, which is nothing like either of the two you posted. Keep these in mind:

mature (dry conditions):

mature (wet)

young (wet)

A little google doesn't hurt :smile: Good luck next time.

OfflineIce House Shaman
Rider on the Storm
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
dead [Re: stugatz]
    #3216836 - 10/05/04 12:28 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

dead

--------------------
you are not who i thought i was...

Edited by Ice House Shaman (10/20/04 12:24 AM)

Offlineshrooma
Did you hear therumour?
Male

Loc: Near the exit of the entr...
    #3216933 - 10/05/04 12:56 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

the first two look like they have arms and remind me of the mops from fantasia.

--------------------
"[More than] half the people in federal prison are there for drug offences. We're arresting half a million people a year for possessing marijuana. We're locking up kids sometimes for life for their first drug offence. We have no room in our prisons for rapists and child molesters and murderers cause we're filling them up with these non violent drug offenders." - Steven Duke, Yale Law School on 'Hooked: Illegal Drugs and How They Got That Way'
-

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract