Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleLand_Crab
NeuroticPsychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: U.S.
General question re: contamination during fruiting
    #3212564 - 10/04/04 02:06 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

If you have well-colonized cakes, and a clean terrarium, is the idea that the risk of infection is very low, since the mycelium is running the show?

The reason I ask this is because a FOAF is probably going to do a slightly souped-up version of the Poor Man's Pod (using an aquarium with an aquarium lid).  What is the risk of contamination if the pump is unfiltered, and the lid is lifted once or twice a day to get the excess Co2 out? (There will already be an empty hole in the lid for air to escape, but he wants to make extra sure there isn't too much Co2)  He has a pretty clean room.

He will be using perlite.  I think this is fine; I don't see any problem with it. (Even though people recommend geolite)  Should he also pour a bit of hydrogen peroxide/water mixture in the perlite, to help ensure lack of contamination?  I've heard between 5% and 50% hydrogen peroxide - what is the "correct number"??

Thank you very much for responding!  :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineonetime
onetime
 User Gallery

Re: General question re: contamination during frui [Re: Land_Crab]
    #3212574 - 10/04/04 02:12 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

yes

--------------------

See?
Yes, with my own three eyes.
Depression, Misspells , wanting everying thing i cant have haveing nothing i want

OfflineHamurabi
the babylonianleader..

Loc: Greece
Re: General question re: contamination during frui [Re: onetime]
    #3212626 - 10/04/04 02:44 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

dont be mad with the numbers. just to the PMP as it is said and add a little H2o2.
You could also put some pollyfil in the holes.
if you could find geolite or lava rocks it could be better than perlite because it's very messy.
Even though one of my PMPs is with perlite and i dont have any problems yet.

OfflineSilven
Male

Loc: El Mexicano
Re: General question re: contamination during frui [Re: Hamurabi]
    #3212817 - 10/04/04 06:10 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Perlite! :thumbup:
PMP :thumbup:

Why isn't the air pump filtered?  It only costs all of like $1.50 to get the stuff to filter the air.  Anyway, sounds like it's going to work.

Also, try to have your FOAF cover up the sides of his aquarium so that his mushrooms grow tall/straight and don't turn into fat asses. :smile:

- Silven :mushroom2:

--------------------
What do you bring to the table?

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.

Loc: Middle of nowhere
    #3212877 - 10/04/04 07:01 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

If you have well-colonized cakes, and a clean terrarium, is the idea that the risk of infection is very low, since the mycelium is running the show?
-Yeppers. I'm running almost the EXACT same setup as you, with clear sides as well.

What is the risk of contamination if the pump is unfiltered, and the lid is lifted once or twice a day to get the excess Co2 out?
-well, the difference between my setup and yours is that my setup is minus the air pump. i did happen to buy a $30 HEPA air purifier at wal*mart, so opening the lid in my closet really doesn't bother me at all... but i was still doing it before i got the HEPA. To be extra safe, i sprayed with oust and got one of those little hand-held fans and set it where i cracked the lid and left it to suck the air out of the chamber for about 30 seconds. the only contam i got was from my bottom casing layer on my biggest casing... and i'm pretty sure that's not from opening my top and fanning.

I've heard between 5% and 50% hydrogen peroxide - what is the "correct number"??
-i also use perlite. i just kind of eyeball the mixture... it takes about a 75% full 2 quart pitcher to wet all of the perlite in my 19 quart chamber... i think i add somewhere around 10-15% h2o2 to my mixture, and when the water gets low, i always add heavy on the h2o2 to the water i'm adding, seing as h2o2 degrades in 2-3 days...
hyphae has mentioned he has used iodine instead of h2o2, which i plan to switch to after this grow. it doesn't degrade like peroxide!

oh, and silven was right, why don't you just get some of that activated charcoal filter stuff for your airpump? it's super super cheap... i spend more money on a pack of cigarettes than i do on new filter material for my aquariam pump (i love betas).

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3212915 - 10/04/04 07:24 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

You are definatly going to want to filter the air pump. You dont want unfiltered air going in there, you will get contams.

You do not need to open the lid. The PMP works perfectly fine just how it is. It pushes the co2 around and it will naturally escape through the lid. Rubbermaids are not air tight, the air gets pushed out through the lid.

Use 1/10% h2o2. I would also not use perlite. Perlite is extreemly messy. Stick with Geo-Lite/Hydroton.

--------------------
Self Healing lid tek ** Update 10.17.17 **
Mini casing pictures: Pins to harvest
Cup O' Shrooms
Magash:  I noticed my contams were in the shape of fingers :whack:
Hyphae:  Yes  "Loss of moisture from the substrate"  is not a casing trigger.  :cuckoo:

My final Grow!

Offlineonetime
onetime
 User Gallery

Re: General question re: contamination during frui [Re: Citric]
    #3213099 - 10/04/04 09:14 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

i used to just case the trays and leave them with lids off in open air with only a cool mist vaporizor in the room and i had no contams till the 3rd flush but its preaty much spent by then any ways

--------------------

See?
Yes, with my own three eyes.
Depression, Misspells , wanting everying thing i cant have haveing nothing i want

InvisibleLand_Crab
NeuroticPsychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: U.S.
    #3213110 - 10/04/04 09:22 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks, gas!  I'm sure this will be quite helpful!

He's going to go with the "put the pump in a small rubbermaid container with holes on the top, duck-taped with coffee filter(s)" filter method for the air pump.

Also, what's the business about the activated carbon/charcoal?  I have an aquarium too :smile: , and I have two devices in it: (well 3, counting the heater) an airpump with an airstone, and a filter that recirculates the water through the activated carbon/sponge/ammonia filters.  How would you add THIS type of filter stage to an air pump/air stone, out of curiosity?

Edited by Land_Crab (10/04/04 09:52 AM)

OfflineHamurabi
the babylonianleader..

#3213307 - 10/04/04 10:45 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

do they sell filters for the air pumps at the shops that sell the pumps?

Offlinericelicker
The Dude'sImaginary Friend

Loc: The Yard
    #3213400 - 10/04/04 11:16 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

If you have say a Profile 5500 pump, what is the best way to rig up a filter?

Side note: When using this pump with perlite, what should the normal noise be? AFOAF only hears like a stifled sporadic gurgling.

--------------------
"my brain waves travel at half the speed afta we..." -del tha funkee

"Two men looked out through prison bars...one saw the mud, one saw the stars." -anonymous

OfflineHamurabi
the babylonianleader..

Re: General question re: contamination during frui [Re: ricelicker]
    #3213435 - 10/04/04 11:30 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

mine sounds the same:-)

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.

Loc: Middle of nowhere
    #3213448 - 10/04/04 11:34 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

yeah, a gurgling/bubbling sound is normal.

my aquarium pump has a filter chamber in it before it pumps through a tube. it's basically a box where you put the filter material. i used to use a polyfil type material until i realized i was getting algae about every two months and decided to change the filter material... haven't had algae since.

i don't know what your pump looks like. if there's no filter place in it, perhaps you could rig up a filter for the intake?

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

Offlinericelicker

#3213532 - 10/04/04 11:56 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

In the bottom there is a little circle with soft white material in it. Looks like a filter for the intake.

It's the same pump Magash used in the PMP post. Profile 5500. Does anyone know if additional filtering is required?

--------------------

"Two men looked out through prison bars...one saw the mud, one saw the stars." -anonymous

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3213983 - 10/04/04 01:31 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

It's fine like that. If you require you can do a few thing. The best is take an empty film canister (you know the little black things with the grey tops that rolls of film come in) and fill it with polyfil and cut a hole in the top and bottom then cut your tube, sitck one end in top and one in bottom to make an inline filter. You can also put the pump in a box filled with polyfil which will also reduce the noise to almost nil.

But additional filtering shouldnt really be needed if you have a pretty clean room.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinericelicker

Re: General question re: contamination during frui [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3214052 - 10/04/04 01:43 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Yea it's pretty clean. But I don't understand what you meant in this part:

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
If you require you can do a few thing.....

But additional filtering shouldnt really be needed if you have a pretty clean room.

How do I know if I require? The closet is pretty clean nothin but some clothes and hangers.

Thanks man

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3214409 - 10/04/04 03:08 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Clothes could be a festival of spores. My closet is stripped of everything and plastic lined and tacked and seems taped. The room the closet is in stays clean (no dirty food plates, juice or coffee cups ect left out for contams to grow on) and my dirty clothes are kept far from the closet. Both rooms also have HEPA's blowing in front of the closets.

If very clean clothes and they're away from the pump it might not. I mean, you'll know if you get contams but I suppose you don't want to wait that long to find out. If you really want to be safe you should. If you want to be lazy and/or cheap (not a bad thing really), I'd say you'll be ok and if not you can always get it later and lose a few casings/cakes/whatever. Personally Im setting a friend of mine up similarly PMP(s) in a closet. We're going to throw the pump in a small tupperware thingy with polyfil all around. Can only help and is so easy to do. So it the film canister which uses less polyfil and takes up less space but doesnt do anything about sound if thats an issue (is with us but size and polyfil isnt).

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale