Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineHeffy
BrauMeister
 User Gallery

Loc: International Traveller
Stalled Jar.
    #3212953 - 10/04/04 09:46 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I have two jars of Amazonian strain cubensis(1 pint 1 quart), which stalled because my grow partner tapes the holes. I removed the tape about a week ago but have not seen any growth out of the quart. This might also be related to heating issues. Can anybody reccomend a cheap compact way of heating for jar incubation?

--------------------
I am the king of Rome, and above grammar! - Emperor Sigismund

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleCitricM
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Stalled Jar. [Re: Heffy]
    #3212975 - 10/04/04 09:58 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Tub-in-tub incubator.

Flip your jars upside down.

--------------------
Self Healing lid tek
Fast, easy, fool proof inoculation
Mini casing pictures: Pins to harvest
Cup O' Shrooms
Magash:  I noticed my contams were in the shape of fingers :whack:
Hyphae:  Yes  "Loss of moisture from the substrate"  is not a casing trigger.  :cuckoo:

My final Grow!

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.
 Arcade Champion: Asteroids 2000

Loc: Middle of nowhere
    #3212985 - 10/04/04 10:07 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

also, is the quart done with grain? if it's pf tek, that's WAY too big, you're not going to see it colonize for a long time.

go for tub-in-tub method like citric said, and get those incubating temperatures up. flipping the jar will help with air exchange.

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

InvisibleCitricM
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3212991 - 10/04/04 10:09 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Whoops didnt even see he had a QT. What you got in the QT? I hope not PF cause that wont colonize fully anytime soon.

For the QT, you need to shake the jars to spread the myc around. This is why grain finishes much faster then cakes.

Normally one would shake after they innoculate, to spread spores around. Then shake a few days after first signs of growth, and then another shake around 60%

--------------------
Self Healing lid tek
Fast, easy, fool proof inoculation
Mini casing pictures: Pins to harvest
Cup O' Shrooms
Magash:  I noticed my contams were in the shape of fingers :whack:
Hyphae:  Yes  "Loss of moisture from the substrate"  is not a casing trigger.  :cuckoo:

My final Grow!

OfflineZeroArmy27

#3212997 - 10/04/04 10:14 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

thats why i always read all the posts with new replies. :laugh:

--------------------

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BurgerTime, Space Invaders
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Stalled Jar. [Re: Citric]
    #3213409 - 10/04/04 01:18 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Citric said:
Tub-in-tub incubator.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/favlinke...amp;postmarker= :thumbup:

--------------------

Quote:

pftek said:Impossible to clean everything right now. Maybe in a week.

ROTHBURY

:pm:

OfflineHeffy
BrauMeister
 User Gallery

Loc: International Traveller
    #3218484 - 10/05/04 04:03 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

"also, is the quart done with grain? if it's pf tek, that's WAY too big, you're not going to see it colonize for a long time."

Yeah they are rye grain. I think the problem is the heat, I just have them next to a stereo which was warm enough until the weather started getting colder. The tub-in-tub is a little too big for me. It's just one pint jar and one quart. Maybe there is a small heating pad or something I could put next to the jars?

--------------------
I am the king of Rome, and above grammar! - Emperor Sigismund

Offline4hodmt
AspiringMycologist

#3218633 - 10/05/04 04:50 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

moisture content right? that fucked up my first grow kinda.

flip the jars, if u havnt already.make sure theyre at 85 degrees. dont let them get light, or u can get pins as the substrate isnt finished colonizing .

GL!

--------------------
all posts made by 4hodmt are entirely ficticious. the user 4hodmt has noa ffiliation with any company, or organization; any endorsements made by 4hodmt are to be considered a joke. any similarity between a person (or story) 4hodmt is talking about is entirely happenstance. 4hodmt is not to be taken seriously under any circumstance. furthermore, he does not know what he is talking about. Please ignore anything 4hodmt has to say.

_______

"Trust me, I'm from the future.

Actually I'm not from the future, but I did lived there for a while."

- Baby Hitler

OfflineZeroArmy27

#3218635 - 10/05/04 04:50 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

alright, i really do think i should write up a tek on heating pad use, i've been giving advice on using a heating pad for a while now...

realize that the tub-in-tub IS superior to this method because it offers much more constant and even temperature.

if you're going to use a heating pad, safety is your first concern. make sure the surface it's on is fire safe.

place your heating pad on the top of this surface. fold a regular towel to fit over the top of the heating pad. make sure to use at least two layers of towel.

next place a rubbermaid or similar container on top of the heating pad/towel pile you have so far. then get another towel and place it folded on the inside of the rubbermaid. if you have a small rubbermaid, just lay out two dish towels and you should be fine.

the reasoning behind the towels is to spread your heat out along the bottom surface of the rubbermaid while keeping the plastic from touching the heating pad. you don't want a fire, do you? :laugh:

second major concern is keeping your temperature constant. you need a thermometer inside the rubbermaid, preferrably two. one should be attached to the side so it doesn't touch the bottom, while another should sit on the towel on the bottom. if you only have one, your testing phase is going to take a bit longer.

turn your heating pad on low. wait about an hour for the temperature to get up. check to see what your heat is on both thermometers and record. you're should get a slightly higher reading on the bottom.

try your medium setting. repeat the above step.

what you're shooting for is getting as close as you can to an 84 degree reading on both thermometers WITHOUT going over. if it goes over, your setting is too high.:thumbdown: it's better to have a low temperature than a high one, you don't want to dry out your jars. mycelium growth also slows down much more rapidly when you go over the optimum temperature than when you're under.

if you end up with say, an 80 degree reading at one of your settings, try setting a blanket over the whole thing to pump it up a few degrees. you really have to improvise with this method and get what works for you down just right.

if your reading is of a large difference between the bottom and top thermometer reading, try adding towels under the rubbermaid.

if you have any more questions, don't be afraid to ask.

EDIT - a few other things i completely forgot.

i'd reccomend one of those metal cookie cooling racks to keep the jars off of the bottom. that'll help you get the jars at a more constant temperature. if it doesn't sit above the towels because it has small legs, then try setting two of the same thing under the rack to lift it up a bit. if you use the cooling rack, leave one thermometer on the rack and one on the top of a jar. this will give you the variation in jar temperatures and let you know how uneven your heat is. the further you can suspend the jars from the bottom of the container, the better it will work (to a reasonable extent).

oh, and good luck! :crazy2:

--------------------

Edited by ZeroArmy27 (10/05/04 05:00 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation