Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLeukoism
Dark Canopy View

Could this kill my spores?
    #3211370 - 10/03/04 11:05 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I have a heating pad slapped on the bottom of a tupperware container, and have the jars inside, the chamber is completly sealed.
I also poured a little hydrogen peroxide in the container.

My Questions are
1)Is it bad to have the container sealed becuase the jars need to ventilate the C02?

2)Will the hydrogen Perox kill my spores if its sealed in with the jars? Its not in the jars just on the botton of the container.

3)Could the hydrogen perox convert the C02 to oxegen if its heated along with the jars?

--------------------
May it have been the one that you are no longer aware, but now it has become a reality.

-----Enter the craze untill you have seen!-----

--------------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
Re: Could this kill my spores? [Re: Leukoism]
    #3211405 - 10/03/04 11:12 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

1.no
2. no
3.no, but H2O2 does turn to h20 yielding oxygen. you have no need for h2o2 in your incubator.

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

OfflineHaveABeer420
G.O.D.
Male

Loc: The Carnival of Souls
    #3211438 - 10/03/04 11:18 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

The HP inside is not needed. You should be more worried about the heating pad on the bottom of the tupperware overheating the jars . There should at min. be a couple of towels on the pad to guard from excess heat. IMO heating pads = bad news, fish tank heaters = t3h k3y!

--------------------
I don't charge by the inch I charge by the foot, think I'm lying bitch here take a look...100% U.S.D.A grade A beef, heres my card call me.

OfflineLeukoism
Dark Canopy View

#3211439 - 10/03/04 11:19 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

How often should a fan it to get oxegen into the container? The sealed container needs to get oxegen so the mycentium can cultivate the jars right? Or does it not matter that much.

--------------------
May it have been the one that you are no longer aware, but now it has become a reality.

OfflineHaveABeer420
G.O.D.
Male

Loc: The Carnival of Souls
    #3211591 - 10/03/04 11:51 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

You don' want oxygen until they are ready to fruit (when jar is 100% colonized)

--------------------
I don't charge by the inch I charge by the foot, think I'm lying bitch here take a look...100% U.S.D.A grade A beef, heres my card call me.

OfflineLeukoism
Dark Canopy View

#3211600 - 10/03/04 11:52 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Cool, thanks.

--------------------

Offlinedrunkencanadian
Stranger
    #3211960 - 10/04/04 01:13 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

This is also a question I was trying to get an answer for. While the spores are germinating, the lids should be left on tight, and the needle holes in the lids 'should' be enough to let the small amount of CO2 escape. Mind you when the jars start getting more and more colonized, the lids need to be cracked letting more and more gas exchange occur. Atleast this is what I have come to believe from reading. Someone correct me if Im wrong, coz im still very new.

OfflineLeukoism
Dark Canopy View

#3211982 - 10/04/04 01:18 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I have a shirt stuffed below them to reassure that it doesnt get too hot, but how hot is too hot?

--------------------

Invisibleadoseofparn0z
Eye Opener
 User Gallery

Re: Could this kill my spores? [Re: drunkencanadian]
    #3212072 - 10/04/04 01:35 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

drunkencanadian said:
This is also a question I was trying to get an answer for. While the spores are germinating, the lids should be left on tight, and the needle holes in the lids 'should' be enough to let the small amount of CO2 escape. Mind you when the jars start getting more and more colonized, the lids need to be cracked letting more and more gas exchange occur. Atleast this is what I have come to believe from reading. Someone correct me if Im wrong, coz im still very new.

No. You should consider using Tyvek mail sleeves (Which you can get for free at your local post office) as filters for your jars.

This is a quote from a growlog I wrote:
"A layer of Tyvek just big enough to cover the opening of the jar was placed on each jar. A lid with 4 holes evenly spaced throughout each jar was placed upon the tyvek, and then the metal ring was screwed on tightly. Jars were then covered twice with aluminum foil to ensure protection from water and contaminates."

Do the same thing with your jars. Get some tyvek sleeves, and make some evenly sized Tyvek squares just large enough to cover the opening of the glass jar. Cut them out, and do as I mentioned in the quote.

When it's time to innoculate, wipe down the surface of the jar you area bout to innoculate with a cotton swab soaked in rubbing alcohol. Wipe down the metal tip of the syringe, and then flame sterilize it by holding a flame to it until it glows red. Remove the flame, and eject a very tiny amount of spore solution, which will cool down the metal part of the syringe without killing any of the spores that will travel into the jar. Innoculate .25cc of spores into each of the four holes on the metal lids, and cover each hole with duct tape immediately after innoculation. Repeat sterilization every hole if possible, or every two holes at minimum. The second you are done injecting spores into all four injection sites, cover the jar back with foil. You should be able to see tiny specs of white growth where you injected the spores at within the next seven days at the most. Usually within 2-5 days on average.

Don't crack the jars open at all until they are completely done colonizing, or about 85% done or more colonizing and starting to pin. Once you place the fully colonized cakes into your terrarium though, you have to make sure there is a very good circulation of CO2.

Good luck with your grows :smile:

--------------------
For a reliable vendor with high quality merchandise at a great price, try BBB

Offlinedrunkencanadian
Stranger
Re: Could this kill my spores? [Re: adoseofparn0z]
    #3212124 - 10/04/04 01:47 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

so u sayin that they should be taped? and if so, why the tinfoil after innoculation as well as the tape?

Invisibleadoseofparn0z
Eye Opener
 User Gallery

#3212199 - 10/04/04 02:00 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

drunkencanadian said:
so u sayin that they should be taped? and if so, why the tinfoil after innoculation as well as the tape?

Tyvek,Metal Lid + Screw-Top, then the Tin Foil. In my very first grow, which was about 24 jars, zero of them contam'ed, and I had great fruits. Using so much protection and safety for the sterility of the jars guarantees that you won't get any contams unless the syringe itself was already contaminated. I don't risk contams, so I don't get them. Works out quite wonderfully :smile:

--------------------
For a reliable vendor with high quality merchandise at a great price, try BBB

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3212618 - 10/04/04 04:43 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

The peroxide's overkill. Your jars will likely stall if they can't breathe and, make sure the heat's not too high. Room temp is better than too hot.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineLeukoism
Dark Canopy View

#3212631 - 10/04/04 04:46 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I thought that they dont need to breath? It that the same as oxegen exchange? Because they are currently in a small sealed container with tape over the holes.

--------------------

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3212637 - 10/04/04 04:50 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Well, if you are doing the pf tek, the air in the container should be enough. Eventually, once you see myc growth, you will need to take the tape off and tip the jars upside down. This will allow CO2 to escape.

Don't worry too much, as long as you don't handle the jars too much.

You can look in the tupperware container from time to time.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineLeukoism
Dark Canopy View

#3212640 - 10/04/04 04:53 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Oh by the way i opened a jar just for the hell of it, I rooted through the verm and there was a small white worm in there crawling around. WTF! has anybody experienced this? But I think it was one of my practice jars and I didnt PC it.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3213459 - 10/04/04 01:37 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Yes people have, it happens. Toss it :smile:

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinedrunkencanadian
Stranger
Re: Could this kill my spores? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3235172 - 10/09/04 01:58 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I'm a little late for response time on this one, but that is the question I was asking kinda.... about letting the jars breath. It seems as though some are saying keep the lids on tight, and some only use a tinfoil lid? The jars DO need gas exchange, am i right? Is it just personal preference? or should every noob just do a few diff. test jars, under different circumstances (tight lids, loose lids, tin lids etc etc.... to find out what works best for us ( I guess that would make sense :p)

Offlineoddiseus
The PsychofunkFirefly

Loc: Doldrums & Faultlines
    #3235211 - 10/09/04 02:16 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Ok after reading all this, I'm still unsure if it should be air tight or not. Im using tupperware for my pf cakes with just an aluminum foil lid that I poke holes through when I inoculate and then I cover with another layer of aluminum foil. Is this good enough? Will they be able to exchange gasses properly? I made my first cakes on the first of this month and I already have good contam free colonization but now Im worried that I might have to let air in or else they will die.

--------------------
Though you can't go back and make a new beginning. You can start today to make a new end.

Traveller, there is no path, paths are made by walking

If Jesus was jewish...Why does he have a mexican name??

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: Could this kill my spores? [Re: oddiseus]
    #3235915 - 10/09/04 10:00 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Let me take a hack at this. If I miss anything, let me know.

If you didn't pack your jar or use super fine vermiculite, there should be enough gas in the jar to carry the full colonization. I don't remember that well, but it was like 15000ppm CO2, or something like that, that the mycelium will thrive. The normal atmostphere has 300-400ppm CO2. So, as the CO2 builds, the mycelium will thrive in vegetative state. After that, the large mycelium will build CO2 too fast and lack of O2 will slow down the growth. But again, if you didn't pack your jar, it should be done before you get to this point. A slight gas exchange with the holes will also help keep from reaching this level. This exchange is very very very small, since CO2 is about 46% heavier than O2. If you do reach this level, though, you can flip the jars and let the CO2 "drain" out through the pure vermiculite layer which is used as a buffer against the contamination.

To summarize that, gas exchange during colonization is not normally required and extremely small amount of gas exchange occur through the holes.

On a side note, H2O is very light compared to CO2 or O2 and will readily traverse through the holes or loose jar lids. The pure vermiculite layer doubles as a moisture buffer to keep the moisture content of the substrate in the jar. But if your substrate is a bit on too moist side, you can reduce the moisture content slightly by loosening the jar lids or removing the tape off.

Okay, the aluminum. If you have tupperware, I suggest you use the duck tape to tape to seal the lid to the jar. Another thing, next time, just as a precautionary measure, you might want to use 2 layers of foil when you sterilize the jars. poke through 1, and use the other to cover.

Hope that help.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation