Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleChampion des Champignons
long standing member;)

Loc: Alba
mexicana won't pin
    #321105 - 05/19/01 05:55 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I cased 2 pint jars of colonised rye 2 weeks ago, 1 straight rye, 1 mixed in with my nice manure. The casing layer has been fully infiltrated and is getting close to overlaying, but no sign of pins. I've coldshocked twice, plenty of light and fanning, yet still no sign of pins. Am I missing some vital step or just being impatient?

------------------------------------
Old Donkeys don't die, they go to:
Drool Donkey Island

--------------------
---------------------------------------------------
hmmm........

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: mexicana won't pin [Re: Champion des Champignons]
    #321122 - 05/19/01 06:18 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Might be a non-fruiting strain. Getting plenty of sclerotia though?

Anonymous

#321159 - 05/19/01 06:59 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

the best advice I can give you is to check AtomHearts Mexicana page if you haven't already.

http://www.igosky.com/mexicana

long standing member;)

Re: mexicana won't pin [Re: ]
    #321181 - 05/19/01 07:27 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

No sign of sclerotia yet. It was a multispore innoculation, so I don't think it being a sterile strain is likely. Looks like the only thing to do is fan even more.

Drool Donkey Island

--------------------
hmmm........

long standing member;)

#321191 - 05/19/01 07:34 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Hmm, this turned up in my inbox, but there's no sign of it here. I wonder why?
holographic mind replied to your post at the site: .
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=Forum4&Number=321165

I have never read or heard of rye being used as a fruiting substrate for mexicana and mexicana is a grass land species it does not grow on manure. You messed up. Also cold shocking does nothing for such species as psilocybe mexicanan and Psilocybe cubensis. In no literature have a i ever read of cold shocking being used on such species of mushroom. Cold shocking is for temperature species. When was the last time it got cold in mexico, during the ice age maybe?
Wuss.

Drool Donkey Island

--------------------
hmmm........

Anonymous

Re: mexicana won't pin [Re: Champion des Champignons] * 1
    #321216 - 05/19/01 08:12 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

First things first, ignore Holographic. These things grow at high altitudes, and it does get cold. Cold shocking isn't your problem though. Are you trying rye grain or rye grass seed? They grow on rye grass seed, though rye grain probably works too, it did for tampanensis and Pan. cyanescens.
My concern is that it did not produce sclerotia in the casing layer. All of the strains I have grown out at least do this!!!! Maybe you got a false mating going on in those casings. I have three that have not pinned yet, two are three weeks old already, but these are throwing up massive amounts of sclerotia. The strains I selected were ones that produced sclerotia on agar, so I don't know if they are gonna pin or not. But you should get either pins or sclerotia, a combination of both, or nothing at all. If it is the last, which a week or so more will tell, your strains were false matings and are false dikaryons. But time will tell. Just keep them at a constant temp. below 78 degrees Far. keep the humidity up and mist accordingly. AtomHeart said they dislike CO2, but UNA grew them without all the "fanning". Hope they pin soon, or at least throw up some sclerotia. I wish you luck, and I wish myself luck to.

long standing member;)

#321223 - 05/19/01 08:27 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Heh, don't worry, I knew holo was talking crap. He obviously realised this too, and deleted his post before anyone read it......except me:) I was just trying to embarrass him. I am so wicked:D
Workman says on the Sporeworks site:
"Substrate: Rye grass seed, rye grain, millet and wheat straw"
So I'm not worried about the substrate either. But misting.........? Ahhh. That's something I never do, seems to beat down the mycelium and make it grow slower, also I worry about getting the casing too wet and inviting ccontams. Maybe I should change my ways. ?

Drool Donkey Island

--------------------
hmmm........

OfflineB.I.O.
old hand
Male User Gallery
    #321452 - 05/20/01 05:31 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

i crumbled my full grown through spawn (rye-grasseed) from the jars into trays...i used a sterile fork...then i covered and let recover for 48 hours....then i cased with peat/lime/oystershell...

i hafe now a few well-sized sclerotia in the casing...if there is sucsess with fruiting, i will post pics...

good luck for all others ....

BiO.

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: mexicana won't pin [Re: B.I.O.]
    #321507 - 05/20/01 09:49 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

It is hard to say what the problem is but I first see pins at 2 weeks. Maybe it is just a bit too early. If your casing is drying at all, definately mist. Good luck.

The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

long standing member;)

Re: mexicana won't pin [Re: Workman]
    #321829 - 05/20/01 05:02 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

It doesn't look dry, but I gave it a mist anyway.

Drool Donkey Island

--------------------
hmmm........

Offlineanima
dusty shelf
 User Gallery

Loc: WAY out there.
    #321899 - 05/20/01 06:24 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

from what I've read you should keep the humidity up(at least 97%), and the Co2 down for pinning and fruitbody production. It sounds like you have a problem with the latter (overlay) to fix this (if its not too bad already) just sprinkle on a little more casing (if its bad overlay you may want to scratch the surface w/ a fork) and focus on your air exchange. Either more fanning and misting, or you could add some sort of air exchange, such as a fish tank air pump hooked up to a bubbler type thing. I have had no success with germination on the old BRF & verm or millet...I guess its off to find some Rye grass seed for me.

I was here but now I'm not, I have gone to smoke some pot. Left this here to make a point, if you wanna get high all it takes is a joint

--------------------
It might be the early bird that gets the worm. But its the second mouse that gets the cheese

Offlineholographic mind
veteran

#321915 - 05/20/01 06:56 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

im so embarrased... :rolleyes:

I deleted it initially because I didn't weant anything to do with this thread and I still don't. Your problem is substrate, rye grain is not a good fruiting substrate for mexicana and manure has no place in the cultivation of mexicana.

Teonan Psilocybe mexicana grows in mountainous regions, but it does not grow in the cold. You are so full of crap claiming you have grown mexicana and tampa. You haven't even grown cubensis. Cold shocking does nothing for such species.

Edited by holographic mind on 05/20/01 08:59 PM.

Offlineholographic mind
veteran

Re: mexicana won't pin [Re: anima]
    #321922 - 05/20/01 07:04 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Congradulations you have read "TMC" we are all proud, so has CdesC you are not telling him anything he doesn't already know. Everyone is full of shit in my eyes, maybe you should try germinating spores on agar then inoculating millet.

long standing member;)

#321997 - 05/20/01 08:39 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

In reply to:

shit in my eyes

I'd love to Sean.;)
We'll see if manure is no good for mexicana soon enough hopefully.
I'll post some pics with a little addition to prove I've not just stolen someone else's pics, like some sort of wannabe poser retard. Wait and see....:)
Ralph, if Sean post anymore crap on this thread lock it. I hate to see flames on adv cult.

Drool Donkey Island

--------------------
hmmm........

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Trusted Cultivator
    #322087 - 05/20/01 10:48 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

anima: You shouldn't be having any problems with germination on those substrates. Could you go into any details about what you are doing? Are you using a syringe or a print, substrate preparation, temps, etc? Feedback is helpful. You may want to drop either me or Psilocyber an email regarding your attempts as well. We want you to succeed (err, you too Champion ;-) )

The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #322264 - 05/21/01 06:48 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Mine are in a terarium and also not pinning. Of course it has been onlyt one week but the mycelium is not spreading very fast.

Mine are also on ryeberry seed and there is alittle white around each see but it is not spreading the way my cubies just did (Pictures forthcoming).

Anyway I wilkl keep in touch as tot he status of my P. mexicana.

Mj

I would like to mention I am going to Mexico this summer to collect sporeprints for P. mexicana from the wild. I will be with some shaman friends of Dr. Gaston Guzman and will be able to get hundreds if not thousands of prints of this species.

Which rarely leave sporesrints when grown indoors.

mj

Have a shroomy day and may all of your days be shroomy.

Invisiblesolidstate
journeyman
Re: mexicana won't pin [Re: mjshroomer]
    #322341 - 05/21/01 10:28 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

MJ, thats great news, been waiting to hear something like that for a long time...dont limit yourself strictly to mexicana, lots of interesting species down there as of course you know...keep us updated & have a shroomy expedition...as for the mexicana, a friend has some grass seed casings that are a little over 2 weeks old, no pins, little sign of sclerotia, starting to massively overlay...but hes working w/ isolated strains, so all bets are off...looks like hes setting up the old drawing board AGAIN, lol...his one piece of advice is to definately case deeper than 1/4", evidently mexicana loves to overlay

Anonymous

Re: mexicana won't pin [Re: solidstate]
    #322477 - 05/21/01 01:58 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Solidstate if overlay is the problem, how would adding more casing help this. Overlay is a result of the mycelium starving for oxygen, adding more casing would limit oxygen even more, right?
None of my casings of mexicana have pinned either, all show surface growth, mild overlay, but they are producing large sclerotia. They start as early as one week after casing. My concern for me is that my cultures I selected for casing were intended to produce sclerotia. They were cultures that did this invitro on agar. So maybe mine won't pin. I really think these prints have alot of variability to them. I don't think all of them fruit, produce sclerotia, or do both. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for everyone. At least I will have a shit load of sclerotia, which was my intention with this species anyway. But it sure would be nice to see a few fruits too.

long standing member;)

#322646 - 05/21/01 05:12 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Heehee! What I thought was a rye grain not properly covered by casing has turned out to be a sclerotium! Not sure how big it is cos it would be a bit silly to dig it out just to measure it, but what I can see of it is~10mm across. So now I know I've not got a sterile strain. Phew:)
btw, this is the plain rye casing.

Drool Donkey Island

Edited by Champion des Champignons on 05/21/01 08:57 PM.

--------------------
hmmm........

Anonymous

#322813 - 05/21/01 08:10 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Congrats!!!!!! Let them grow. Well if you get no pins, your effort will be rewarded. I certainly will not be sorry if these casings only produce sclerotia.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder