Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHambo
Limey

Loc: UK
Hullo
    #3172585 - 09/23/04 09:58 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Hi, I'm new to this site as I am to growing mushrooms. In fact it all started last week when I purchased some 'mexicans' and discovered a cap which was dropping spores - decided to try growing them.

Since then I've read enough to fill several books and proceded to knock up a couple of syringes, and substrate in plastic tubs, difficult as I found it to gather specific equipment in this cuntry. Typically sloppy though I was about following procedures (PFtek) and cleanliness (I used microwave), I am showing some promising growth in a couple of these. I'm almost surprised considering it was an attractive bluey mush the time I got round to doing this stuff.

I kept one syringe to use on some proper jars sterilised in a pressure cooker when I get one.. soon. I also put in a request at the FSRE for more spores. Anyone know how reliable this group is? I think its a bonza idea.

I thought about maybe doing one of these grow log things, but my set up is embarrasingly amatuer so far, and I'll look a tit when it all screws up as it's almost bound to.. Anyway..

What I'd like to know is. Are they any more difficult to grow, and is there anything else I should know about them, I've found little specific information about cultivating them so far.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Post deleted by Anno [Re: Hambo]
    #3172642 - 09/23/04 10:09 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------
Self Healing lid tek ** Update 10.17.17 **
Mini casing pictures: Pins to harvest
Cup O' Shrooms
Magash:  I noticed my contams were in the shape of fingers :whack:
Hyphae:  Yes  "Loss of moisture from the substrate"  is not a casing trigger.  :cuckoo:

My final Grow!

OfflineHambo
Limey

Re: Hullo [Re: Citric]
    #3173843 - 09/24/04 05:30 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Well I certainly hope not.

This is the probably the best looking tub atm, its hard to tell from the pics but the bottom shows how far it seems to be going thru the subs. Theres another tub almost as developed, and 4 more than are not so.

This is after a week. What u reckon, bit slow? Maybe I should name it the against all odds tek hehe.

I made syringes from the one cap printed twice. I was pretty careful with sterile lens paper and stuff. And point taken, I wasn't expecting any success, and have jars on the way in the post and a PC just down the road when I get them.

--------------------

Offlineaussieone
shroominator
 User Gallery

Loc: QLD, Australia
Re: Hullo [Re: Hambo]
    #3173878 - 09/24/04 06:11 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

from what i've read people have mixed results with microwaving the substrate, post something in the grow section to let us know how it's doing!

--------------------

OfflineHambo
Limey

Re: Hullo [Re: aussieone]
    #3174022 - 09/24/04 07:51 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

:laugh: Fingers crossed.

I got some jars but Theyre a bit crap, balloon shaped :/. In fact, If a user called Ihatejacknjills.. reading this, where sells that jam? I will hold off till I get some.

--------------------

OfflineCaRnAgECaNdYS
Tool's groupie
Female User Gallery

Loc: Billy Howerdel's closet Flag
    #3174076 - 09/24/04 08:18 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I just wanted to say welcome to the shroomery!

~Desiree~

--------------------

The secret to being funny is to say smart things stupidly, or is it stupid things smartly? Whatever..it's not rocket surgery...or something like that.

OfflineOpenminded
Dicotyledon

Loc: England.
    #3174119 - 09/24/04 08:41 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Well, statistically it's very unlikely to have 100% contamination. 99.999999999999999999999%, maybe! But if you do enough jars, no matter how sloppy you are you'll get one that's OK eventually!
Good luck :smile:.
Get down to argos and get a little tower pressure cooker, ?20. Wilkinsons sells loads of plastic tubs which can be made into simple glove boxes, casing containers and fruiting chambers.
Then get a syringe (Azarius is good for UK people, because the shipping is fast, and they're quite cheap too), inoculate some jars with that, and then you can sterilise the syringe with your pressure cooker and use it to inoculate more jars with prints from FSRE or trades with other members. Make a load of prints from your first grow, then you can trade for other strains.... and pretty soon you'll be swimming in spores and random jars of myc!

OfflineHambo
Limey

Re: Hullo [Re: Openminded]
    #3175589 - 09/24/04 03:00 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

thank yuh koindly ma'am.

Aye I'm on most of that stuff. Just going down tesco tomorrow to see if I can find suitable jam jars. Thing is some of these pots are really taking off now, I dunno If I should leave it a while before I go and make another batch for lack of room to fruit.. if they get that far.

Heres a handy discovery for anyone in the UK too. If you have NTL cable, I have found filling a big tub with ur growing jars and plonking it on top of the box makes a wazzo incubator.. almost constant 28-30 degrees C. Plus you get to stare at them whilst watching telly. :laugh: Half-ass Hambo strikes again.

--------------------

OfflineHambo
Limey

#3190647 - 09/28/04 07:28 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Update on my grow. Been a few days but look at that myc go! The pics are a bit blurry coz I'm still crap with the birds digi camera.. And its also hard to see but a lot of dry verm has fallen down the side in the way of the myc. One thing I thought odd that my tubs seems to be colonising from the bottom upwards..unlike most others here going from top down.

Anyway:

I never would have thought it would be this easy.. :laugh:

--------------------

OfflineSilven
Male

Loc: El Mexicano
    #3190687 - 09/28/04 07:54 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Hambo:
Quote:

Living in the UK is a Myth. Its only a matter of time before they bring in a tax tax just to make ABSOLUTELY sure everyones COMPLETELY miserable. I'll have to pay tax on the sodding 'taxes' I'm already paying. -Me (misc rant no.3453626)

Ah, well maybe it will take away from that misery a little bit knowing that we in the US already have tax on tax, also they are now trying to pass taxing the tax on tax, so I'll let you know how that goes.  :smile:

Anyway, good luck on your grow.  You seem to be doing ok, regardless of the rather intimidating name, "Against All Odds" Tek.

Cheers,
  Silven :mushroom2:

--------------------
What do you bring to the table?

OfflineHambo
Limey

Re: Hullo [Re: Silven]
    #3209292 - 10/03/04 08:07 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Update:

No pictures, I'll try to do some tomorrow.

However. 2 tubs had stalled with minor growth so I took them out yesterday. The reason was fairly evident as the cakes were bone dry.

I decided to crumble these cakes and dunk the colonised parts in water with a little h2o2. Then bunged em in a tub with light verm casing, covered with foil and put back to incubate. Astonished at the hardiness of this myc, it has started to grow again and is beginning to spread into the casing after less than a day.

I now have 3 tubs left, I think one will colonise completly by next week, the other 2 are going for it but there is areas of substrate it doesnt like, I think likely due to overcooking in the microwave, so they may be candidates for the same as above.

This has all made room in my incubation chamber, which is good as I have finally sourced a decent PC and some WBS to be done in proper jars with tyvek this time.

Gotta say what started out as a half-arsed stab in the dark, is fast growing into a time consuming but engrossing hobby :smile:.

I'll try to get some shots tomorrow.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale