Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
OfflineShrooomKing
Revolving

Loc: Returning to OZ...
Exsistance is pointless... (prove me wrong, plz)
    #3208798 - 10/03/04 12:27 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Basically ever since I was introduced to psychedelics, my whole view of life and the world around me has changed. I have learned to cherish every moment I have on this earth, and to live life as a happy centered person. Not caring for material wealth, but rather learning as much as I can about the world around me, and the wonderful existence that I possess. However all this learning and conscious altering experiences I've had have brought forth a problem I can't seem to solve. So I turn to this place for answers in hopes that those more experienced than me may shed some light on the solution.

Why continue existing?

I can't seem to crack this one. Existing just to exist seems unfulfilling and boring. I live day by day, thinking why should I do all this pointless shit. Why not just put a bullet in my head, and move on to what is next, or rather to what is not next. At the moment I'm attending a University, however I no long am motivated by materialistic ideas to care that much about finishing. The idea of living in a remote location and simply surviving seems more intriguing to me than, finishing school, getting a job and working till all my material desires are met. What is the point? Why do this? Why not go off into the unknown and live life as a creature and no longer a human.

During my psychedelic experiences, I've had GOD, then lost god, then only to be reunited with a passion to the divine that makes up my existence and to that which has led to my life. I have so many obligations I must fulfill, to my parents, mostly to my mother, who has sacrificed so much, so that I may have an easier life. A life without the struggle and poverty that she knew when she was young. How can I look her in her eyes and say: "you gave up happiness for me, yet with all the money we have, it is meaningless." How? Why?

I mostly post this, because I've hit a wall, I have very few friends. Though they are TRUE friends in every sense of the word. However at the present moment they are all preoccupied with their obligations. I feel alone, i have faith, in what... life I guess. However i just don't see the point to it all?

help me to see... love is everyting, money is nothing. i have neither.

--------------------
A driver knows that it is not the road that is his biggest obstacle, rather it is the poles.
A great driver understands, the poles will always be there, and he must learn to adjust.

I can't keep doing this on my own... with all these... people. -daniel plainview

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTasty_Smurf_House
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Exsistance is pointless... (prove me wrong, plz) [Re: ShrooomKing]
    #3208810 - 10/03/04 12:33 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

i know what you're talking about. well some of it. i also don't care about money. for me i realised what I wanted to do is play music and enjoy my life and spend time with friends, so i'm trying to get better at music, join a band. it'll be fun. i dont know if that helps. maybe you just need direction? i dont know.

This sounds like it should be in Support group.

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
    #3208845 - 10/03/04 12:54 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Im having a hard time with this. You want to know why you should continue living? you told me yourself in your post:

-I have learned to cherish every moment I have on this earth, and to live life as a happy centered person

-only to be reunited with a passion to the divine that makes up my existence and to that which has led to my life

-I have very few friends. Though they are TRUE friends in every sense of the word.

-love is everyting

-learning as much as I can about the world around me, and the wonderful existence that I possess

dont fool yourself dude. You already know whats up. If your finding yourself disilusioned with materialstic ideas, great! So stop taking those classes, travel the world, do whatever you want to do! go find love, go learn, go experience, make music, make art, do whatever moves you!

at the end of the line, its not going to matter one shit how much money youve made. All that you can hope to hold when you die is the memory of a rich and fully cherished life.

Now get this crap out of your head:

"Why not just put a bullet in my head?"

because that would be a terrible waste. There are things in this world that would make you weep for joy and astonishment. There are wonders awaiting you that you cannot even concieve of. If what you are doing now is unfufilling, seek out that which is.

"the deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain.

Is not the cup that holds your wine the very same cup that burned in the potter's oven? and is not the lute that soothers your spirit the very same wood that was hollowed by knives?"

-Kahlil Gibran, the prophet

:heart:

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction.

OfflineTinTree
thread killer(semi pro)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mu
    #3208849 - 10/03/04 12:55 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

You are correct: there is no purpose in existence.

Searching for peace in
inner, outer worlds; Fish will
chase their reflections.

You in yourself are perfect. "Strive on mindfully."

You must make your own decisions in life, but don't worry about it.  It's not a matter of life and death. :lol:

:sun:

--------------------
"I'm afraid of losing my obscurity. Genuineness only thrives in the dark. Like celery."
- Aldous Huxley

OfflineShrooomKing
Revolving

#3208859 - 10/03/04 12:59 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

oh well, tomarrow is another day i guess... peace.

--------------------
A driver knows that it is not the road that is his biggest obstacle, rather it is the poles.
A great driver understands, the poles will always be there, and he must learn to adjust.

I can't keep doing this on my own... with all these... people. -daniel plainview

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

#3208861 - 10/03/04 12:59 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Nothing is pointless. We just dont understand some things, immediately. You thirst for something that is beyond the flesh; quench the body with nourishment, quench the thirst by removing it.

Indeed, you owe your life to your mother. She birthed you. But she owes her life to another who birthed her, and so on. Without that other, you would not be here so you owe your life to that person. What I'm trying to say is realize we are all brothers and sisters and feel at peace with us, the quicker you realize this the quicker we will realize it and the quicker you and us will feel at home again. Do not be selfish.

There is no purpose...unless of course you create it. That is the ultimate purpose. To take the mud and make a home with it, to take some wood and build a boat. You create your purpose; you sail down the river, down your own paths. But do not resist the river, or it will humble your feeble resistance. Just keep paddling and use your intuition as a guide.

Maybe you need to take shrooms to once again remind you to see things anew. Our structure, our society, is so fragile and impermanent. However, in its modern short time-span we have accomplished so much, we are expanding our awareness exponentially every passing moment. That alone is worth being here for, despite the tough times ahead (which are necessary for revealing our true virtuous nature to ourselves).

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
Re: Existence is pointless... (prove me wrong, plz) [Re: ShrooomKing]
    #3209034 - 10/03/04 02:40 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

A proof existence is not pointless.

1.) A situation with an ironic component has value.
2.) Assume, (toward conditional proof) that existence is pointless.
3.) If Existence is pointless, and humans continue to act as there was a point in spite of this, then the continual struggle of existence is ironic
4.) Humans continue to act as if there was a point to existence.
5.) So, If existence is pointless, then the continual struggle of existence is ironic.
6.) Either existence is pointless, or it is not.
7.) If the continual struggle to exist is ironic, then existence has some value (namely, irony).
8.) For anything, if it has some value, then it has a point.
9.) So, if existence is pointless, then it has a point (namely the value given to it by irony)
9.) So, existance is not pointless.

I proved you wrong!

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

#3209068 - 10/03/04 03:09 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Ya I've been struggling with that problem for some time as well.
It's something I try not to bother myself with anymore though, because it isn't answerable directly.

What I keep in mind now is that existence serves evolution. Thus the point of existence is to evolve. But of course this is an incomplete answer because then the question is "evolve for what? where is this taking us?", but it still gives me a vague idea of the point of existence, and now its up to me to decide how I want to evolve and help others do so.

that's just my 2 cents

--------------------

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
    #3209088 - 10/03/04 03:30 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I think that you will die anyways, so why not stick around? You might miss something cool. Also, in five years you may have a different mentality and find that your current viewpoint is entirely incomplete in retrospect.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

OfflineMushmonkey
shiftlesslayabout
 User Gallery

#3209116 - 10/03/04 04:27 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

"Why continue existing?"

Why not?

Ok, a less smart-ass answer.
Firstly, who's to say for sure there IS anything to move on to? You believe so? Many people believe many things, and that does not make them true.
Question that part of your beliefs if you wish, but even if you choose to continue believing in something after.. why test your belief unnecessarily?

Secondly, you're pretty much right. We're here to be here, and since we're here it's best to smile and enjoy yourself independent of what you do or do not have.
Get as much of that in as you can. In the long run, so far as I've found at least, you tend to remember those things more than the mindless boring bullshit anyway.

And, terminally, hey, who knows, maybe civilization will collapse and you'll get to live that life after all. I certainly wouldn't mind, myself.. I can make a place to live and keep myself fed, I just have a hard time waking up on time for work.
But, till then, no reason really to go off and do something like that.. especially considering family and everything. I'll take a bit of discomfort myself, to help out my family.. but they're a good family after all, I do that knowing they'd do the same. Some wouldn't, and I do think some times that should be reciprocated, but that's a bit offtopic isn't it?

OfflineEntropic
drunk elf
    #3209118 - 10/03/04 04:38 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

That's assuming that the original basis for your argument is true, I agree it is a good argument, but that's assuming that life is to be taken ironically, and that struggle to exist is irony and also that irony has value. But lets look at some other angles as well. For instance, you could look at it in evolutionary terms...we could still be here because we are pre-programmed for survival; almost anyone confronted with possible death goes to their instincts, and that is to avoid dying, they are instilled in us for a reason, did we not have the mental faculty to preserve ourselves we wouldn't be a successful species. So the point for life could be for us to propagate our species, but is that truly a purpose? We wouldn't want to just live till we have child and then kill ourselves, so up to the point where you have a child your purpose could be to propagate the species. But it doesn't end there, once you have a child you have a new purpose, you have to make sure that your child adequately prepared to live in this world, and I believe that is also a basic instinct, regardless how good you parents may have had it they always want to provide better for their offspring, this mentality is one of the reasons we are such a successful species. Think about it, if you lived a few thousand years ago, you had to kill your food or grow it, since then we've been developing better ways to grow and kill our food, we are slowly simplifying tasks down to the point where they involve little work at all. So we could be here to reproduce and succeed as a species, but is that a purpose in itself?

It could also be that there really isn't a point to anything, perhaps we are just a blip in a dream in someone else?s' head, there's no real way to prove that you aren't, so that opens up a bunch of different possibilities, but I'll only cover a few. Most people don't feel that they have some quest that they must complete in this life, and I think the growing population makes our lives seems less significant, we may not feel that we are that important, but I think that type of loneliness is a byproduct of the global society and the streamlining of businesses over the last few hundred years (have you ever said to yourself, damn, I?m hungry, I better go kill something so that I survive, probably not, you think about the traffic you?ll encounter on the way to walmart). Even though you may not feel extremely important we march forward. We are unique in the fact that we aren't faster or stronger than other animals, but we are more cunning, we are an extremely curious species, do you notice that when you see something new, or see something interesting you want to know how it works and why it works? If we didn't have that curiosity, we probably would still be running around in the woods with hatchets, if alive at all. In the last 500 years our culture has advanced probably more than any other 500 year period in time. We've gone from alchemy to advanced chemistry, simple gunpowder to atom bomb, from accusing people of witchcraft to a general curiosity as to the actual possibilities of it (humans flying, magic potions (aka modern medicine), they?ve now mapped out the parts of the brain related to almost every emotion, so in a sense it could be the birth of mind reading), we?ve gone from people being exiled for saying that we weren?t the center of the universe to people entertaining the idea that everything in this world could be composed of strings (string theory), that the universe is infinite, and there are tons of other examples. We?ve had our place at the top of the food chain for a while, so we are evolving at a much higher rate socially than would be expected. But even if we are just a dream in someone else?s brain we can still have a perceived purpose, real or imaginary anything you assign a purpose to has one.

Earlier I said that we probably don?t individually have a specific purpose of the world (assuming we decide our own destiny (but how do you actually know you have free will?), but now let?s look at the viewpoint that we are all put here for a specific reason, this is something I?m sure none of us would really like to accept as truth, because if your reason for being here is predetermined then you really have no other purpose than to act out a play that?s already been written. In that case then you could say that your life is meaningless to yourself, since it isn?t truly your life, you?re not acting on free will, but serving some purpose for the whole, maybe the guy who jumps out of an airplane with a parachute that doesn?t deploy is meant to save lives in the future by designing better parachutes and packing methods. Either way you serve at least some purpose to someone or something.

We could be here to worship the God that created us (assuming that?s true), but I find that unlikely, I think something that?s smart enough and powerful enough to create us would want something more than an ego boost (you?re welcome to disagree). Perhaps the purpose of life to just experience it, and that is God?s gift to us, whether you?re stuck in the trenches or atop the mountain you can at least say that you were there, that you experienced it, and for good or ill all life?s experiences are meaningful since the purpose behind it was for you to have the opportunity to experience it. But however you live your life, whatever you do in this world, you should be thankful that you received the greatest gift of all, a chance. Out of 60 million sperm you were the only one that got the opportunity to come into the world, would you rather have not had the opportunity?

P.S. You?re parents may not agree with the lifestyle you choose to live (ex forego material idolatry) but the way I see it is that it is your life, you may only get once chance at it, you should be able to live it how you like. It?s natural for parents to want their children to succeed, but they also want to let you do what you are happy with (although often times expectations overstep reality), try and think of the reasons why you want do that, and come up with a good way to present your argument. One that not only shows that you?ve thought of the difficulties and repercussions of doing so. People with children realize how much actual work goes into raising a child, it?s especially hard to do it well. Thank your parents for all they?ve done for you, had they not had the drive to better for themselves and you, you wouldn?t have been presented with the chance you have now, you can be grateful for all they?ve given you and still lead your own life. To be safe I?d at least complete college so should your plans turn out to fail in the long run you have some recourse, that?ll probably impress your parents too.

Alright, I?m done ranting, damn, that amounted to 1200 worlds, I?d like to thank some special substances for making this possible.

--------------------
No .sig for me, I'm trying to quit.

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #3210015 - 10/03/04 02:30 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I find myself wondering a lot what it is I'm doing here in this life. I'm certainly not here to aquire material wealth and then die.

I say, focus on what you can take with you, the internal stuff.

I keep coming back to seeing the point of being here is to realise the self through our creations and creative potential.

I thinkwe derive a lot of fullfillment from our accomplishments and a "can do" attitude and spirit.

When life runs dull and flat, look for some creative inspiration and create something with it.

I have a lot of "spiritual type" friends in college who are just banging there heads on the wall. They are there because there parents want them there and they want something else for themselves and just don't know what it or can't assert it in life.

I think every individual has to create their own purpose and meaning and then live it.

Look at it this way, if our spirits are eternal, whats 60 more years here in this body and life? When you put it in perspective like this, the world becomes your oyster, your canvas, your stage. Make the most of it.

Think of what you can do that says "Shroom King was here" after you are gone, even if its just saving an animal that goes on to procreate generations leading to 100,000 more in the coming years. Even if its just planting a flower garden along your sidewalk, so one day, a young man can pick a few and give them to his lady love and she'll feel special to him.

Get creative and realise yourself through your creations and what you can have an impact on. You are very powerful not pointless.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineBleaK
paradox
    #3210043 - 10/03/04 02:38 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

this is suposed to be heaven.
your suposed to be enjoying yourself to much to wonder about these things.

i dont know what happend. yet.

--------------------
"You cannot trust in law, unless you can trust in people. If you can trust in people, you don't need law." -J. Mumma

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
    #3210325 - 10/03/04 03:46 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

The fact that existance is pointless, is exactly its point. You can do with your life whatever you want. I suppose all anyone can aspire to is to be happy and to really know theirselves (and possibly a few other people). What you need to do to achieve those two goals is personal, so listen to yourself and find out what you need to do.

You aren't alone. Think about it, if life had a point, why would the entertainment and news industries be as big as they are today? Why would the West have evolved into the giant socio-political consumer machine it is?

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: Exsistance is pointless... (prove me wrong, plz) [Re: Alan Stone]
    #3210350 - 10/03/04 03:53 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Stone said:
The fact that existance is pointless, is exactly its point. You can do with your life whatever you want.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

There is so much freedom in that! I would prefer it to be this way then have there be a point I am a slave too.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #3210358 - 10/03/04 03:56 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid only of standing still.

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
Re: Exsistance is pointless... (prove me wrong, pl [Re: ShrooomKing]
    #3210577 - 10/03/04 05:13 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

If existance was pointless.. we would not exist.

--------------------

OfflineWhiteRussian
The Silence islouder then youthink
Loc: In your head :P
    #3210616 - 10/03/04 05:25 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

OK, existance is pointless, go kill yourself it you think thats true :smile:

Whos really gonna care?

If its not, the whoes really gonna care?

--------------------
aaaaaahhhhh

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: Exsistance is pointless... (prove me wrong, pl [Re: tomk]
    #3210699 - 10/03/04 05:55 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

What if the point of existance is to make points about why we exists?

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineWhiteRussian
    #3210816 - 10/03/04 06:34 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

"What if the point of existance is to make points about why we exists? "

thats what religion is for. :smile:

but seriously, the most logical answer i can give you it "bleahh" or "    "

because i cant put it in words lol

--------------------
aaaaaahhhhh

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: Exsistance is pointless... (prove me wrong, pl [Re: WhiteRussian]
    #3210863 - 10/03/04 06:46 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

WhiteRussian said:

thats what religion is for. :smile:

ol

:wink:

Religion or sorts with agendas. Thats why I like the pointless take, and that we are free to make our own up as we go along.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineWhiteRussian
    #3210902 - 10/03/04 07:00 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

:smile:

--------------------
aaaaaahhhhh

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #3210974 - 10/03/04 07:31 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I believe we are here for a purpose, but I have no proof. I posted one what Emerson wrote about how easy our lives would be if we figured out what it is that we are here to do.

I think I figured out what I was here to do. Finding out the reason for why I am here helps with living on a daily basis. If I have purpose in life, I won't be sitting around wondering what's the point, and why shouldn't I just go ahead and put a bullet in my head.

If I am here to help people, then if I put a bullet to my head, I am cutting short my life here, and someone I was meant to help further down the road won't be receiving the help he would otherwise be getting.

I know that sounds egotistical, but I just really believe we're each here to do something. There's the butterfly effect that our existence puts into motion, even though we may never see it. Anything I may have caused to have happened will not happen with my absence.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineIamHungry
Stranger
    #3210982 - 10/03/04 07:33 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

We are all here together, so for people to use psychedelics and learn of a more favorable consciousness is a good start, but the purpose of life might be to get others to live too. if you're now "enlightened," share it! You'll be glad you did, the people you tell will be glad you did, and it could give you a sense of accomplishment for doing something relatively simple, giving purpose to your life.

--------------------
Here comes the sun, do n do do,
Here comes the sun, and I say,
It's alright...

OfflineWhiteRussian
    #3211016 - 10/03/04 07:44 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

When you realize that you have no purpose, you can do so much more.
Einstine knew this, look at how he changed the world.......I cant tell you how to let go, just do it, the same way you move your arm, just do it....:)

--------------------
aaaaaahhhhh

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
    #3211058 - 10/03/04 07:54 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

will it ever be the eternal ice cream cone?

nope.

everything changes, including you. be aware that you have become something other than what you used to be... it is dificult, because before, you knew what was going on.

how did you know?

well, i dont think you knew right away! you just waited until one day you just assumed a role in life.

now your eyes are open to much more possibility. perhaps you should wait a little while to see what role you and the universe decide to play together? the universe is a big place, why shouldnt you have some patience for it?

the moment never passes. so just live in it.

peace

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

OfflineWhiteRussian
    #3211194 - 10/03/04 08:29 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Im hungry too

--------------------
aaaaaahhhhh

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
    #3211575 - 10/03/04 09:48 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

It is pointless to discuss the pointlessness of existence.  It is pointless to suggest existence is meaninglessness because it only causes us to lose respect for ourselves and our own existence. 

If there is no purpose to the ever-going-on, there is no reason to talk about it because such idle chatter only distracts us from the wonderful freedom to make our existence meaningful.  If the ever-going-on has it's own meaningful nature, then there is still no reason to dwell on the fact, because it is the same distraction obtructing us from actually discovering what that meaning might be.

The solution to your problem, ShroomKing, is to stop conceiving it as a problem.  Don't worry.  Be happy. :smile:

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

Edited by Ped (10/03/04 09:57 PM)

InvisibleCharles
I eat bugs.
Male
Loc: NE Arkansas
    #3212093 - 10/03/04 11:42 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I learned recently that there is no point to existence, other than what you give it. Simply put, life is the greatest gift, because with it, anything is possible, but without it, there is nothing. How can one so easily scoff at possibility.

At least that's what I'm using for a while to help me make it through the day.

But why should one believe in such things, why hold on to some idea that there is a point to all this living when so many things seem to say otherwise? Because believing that life means something and being wrong is far better than believing it doesn't and being right.

Edited by Charles (10/03/04 11:51 PM)

OfflineShrooomKing
Revolving

#3212644 - 10/04/04 02:56 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Entropic:
the energy you put into your response is amazing!! wow just wow

gettinjiggywitit:
you said: " When life runs dull and flat, look for some creative inspiration and create something with it."

I have chosen that as the new focus in my life, for the time being atleast. Thank you.

Alan stone:
you said "The fact that existance is pointless, is exactly its point. "

now i'm no philosopher, but damn, i'm very taken back by this. i think we have a winner. hehe. I've understood the whole pointless arguement, but to put it so bluntly, nice.

to everyone else:
Thank you all for your posts, i will take each to heart....

peace & love
shrooomking

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #3212786 - 10/04/04 05:50 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

All I ever wanted as a college student was a place to call my own, to reflect by decor my inner life, and to be a safe place to trip balls. I wanted a beautiful girl, but not necessarily marriage, perhaps a marriage, but I was not interested in having children. I thought, "perhaps a small apartment with a couple of nice Indian carpets and a big shiney brass incense burner, and bookshelves for books and music."

I dropped out of college for a semester, changed majors, finished college, then alternated between menial jobs and higher education. I thought that if I remained in a high state of mind, I could happily work on a loading dock or something. WRONG. I had to find something that an INTP type personality could best fit with, and despite the ups and downs of life, meaning must be sought through the niche that you discover for yourself, in the process of being true to yourself (and that means true to your type). Otherwise, you find yourself in alien territory, which is apparently where you are now.

It's not about rejecting money, it's about discovering a life-style that fits YOU and doing what is required to maintain that lifestyle. There aren't any Donald Trump, Hugh Hefner wannabes at this site so pure materialism isn't even the issue. It's also about finding a partner with the same basic values and no hidden agendas. Through your lifestyle, and the occupational niche that is both capable of supporting that lifestyle and one which makes sense to your strengths (so that work isn't strife), you can pursue the Great Work, the Philosopher's Stone, the Pearl of Great Price, or whatever you want to call THAT which imparts Ultimate Meaning to existence. Without the Philosopher's Stone to transmute existence, you will only have existential 'dross,' not Alchemical Gold.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

#3212962 - 10/04/04 07:49 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

the essence of philosophy is not the possession of truth but the search for truth, regardless of how many philosophers may believe it with their dogmatism. Its questions are more essential than its answers, and every answer becomes a new question.

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #3213480 - 10/04/04 11:42 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I have generally found that if someone thinks that existence is meaningless and pointless, usually that person has nothing going on in his/her life.

I have a point to my life, regardless of whether it will mean anything after I am dead. I am here to be a lawyer and to help people.

Now, if I have a point to my life, then it makes sense that each day has a purpose. I am going to get up, take a shower, and go to work, because I love what I do. Almost everything I do has a reason, because I have a point to my existence.

If I have no point to my existence, it will not really matter what I do each day. There's no real reason for me to do anything. Eventually, I will ask, "What is the point?"

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

InvisibleMovingTarget

Loc: temporary
    #3213883 - 10/04/04 01:14 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I love existing, i live for the moment while trying to get to grips with sorting out my future.

I dont have any beliefs about religion, mushrooms are slowly changing that, but unless i get firm evidence that points to there being someting after death I still believe life is pointless. This is a lil hard for me to explain but bear with it for my opinion...

In the end we all die right? and surely humans will all die out eventually too. Even if we manage to occupy other earth like planets there has to be a limit... So if there comes a time when theres none of us left, there be a time when theres nothing to show for it either, so why bother now? It probably has something to do with evolution, consider a mouse... it doesnt know much about anything other than how to survive in its enviroment, there are generally no other factors to its survival other than its own food, and avoiding being food for other animals... we're evolved from the same source as the mouse is... We try to survive, but theres one big diference. A higher state of awareness allows us to consider mroe about our future, but its still not as powerfull as the natural drive to survive. Life on earth was a pure fluke anyway right? If we all knew the entire universe would collapse tomorow most of us would make the most out of our last hours, pointless but no diferent from eating a bar of chocolate or smokin, a complete waste of time but enjoyable for a short time. Its no diferent from the pointlessness of living, but if people struggle to give up smoking and chocolate how could we ever come to terms with the ultimate futility of life. Thats just my opinion. i dont let it bother me, as thers nothing i can do about it.
I still smoke...

--------------------

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

#3213985 - 10/04/04 01:31 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

only you can prove to yourself by wanting it :P hehe life is what you make off it? can someone learn how to count to 100 without self wanting to count to 100? hum. rewards are tricky :P

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

OfflineSynapses-R-Us
Perspective is Subjective

#14275914 - 04/12/11 12:21 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

ShrooomKing said:
Basically ever since I was introduced to psychedelics, my whole view of life and the world around me has changed. I have learned to cherish every moment I have on this earth, and to live life as a happy centered person. Not caring for material wealth, but rather learning as much as I can about the world around me, and the wonderful existence that I possess. However all this learning and conscious altering experiences I've had have brought forth a problem I can't seem to solve. So I turn to this place for answers in hopes that those more experienced than me may shed some light on the solution.

Why continue existing?

I can't seem to crack this one. Existing just to exist seems unfulfilling and boring. I live day by day, thinking why should I do all this pointless shit. Why not just put a bullet in my head, and move on to what is next, or rather to what is not next. At the moment I'm attending a University, however I no long am motivated by materialistic ideas to care that much about finishing. The idea of living in a remote location and simply surviving seems more intriguing to me than, finishing school, getting a job and working till all my material desires are met. What is the point? Why do this? Why not go off into the unknown and live life as a creature and no longer a human.

During my psychedelic experiences, I've had GOD, then lost god, then only to be reunited with a passion to the divine that makes up my existence and to that which has led to my life. I have so many obligations I must fulfill, to my parents, mostly to my mother, who has sacrificed so much, so that I may have an easier life.  A life without the struggle and poverty that she knew when she was young. How can I look her in her eyes and say: "you gave up happiness for me, yet with all the money we have, it is meaningless." How? Why?

I mostly post this, because I've hit a wall, I have very few friends. Though they are TRUE friends in every sense of the word. However at the present moment they are all preoccupied with their obligations. I feel alone, i have faith, in what... life I guess. However i just don't see the point to it all?

This is exactly what I, and many others on this forum I'm guessing, started to feel after being introduced to psychedelics. I guess it's really where the heart is, and since my change, my heart is in something COMPLETELY different than money, wealth, success, etc.

Part of me wants to do it just to say "yea that's right doubters what now?? I did shitty in high school and now I've taken more drugs than you could imagine and I'm way better off than you" but that would not only be incorrect in it's truest sense (the last part at least XD) but also would be living my life for others, which conflicts with another of my gained "insights". Which is to live for myself, and only for myself; not to be selfish, but just not to not do something just because somebody else wants me to do it (religion, school, "cool" friends).

I know that my parents wouldn't understand my reluctance to put 60 hours a week into pointless homework, just to get a pointless job, where i can make pointless money, to get pointless things. Because to them, and many of my peers, that REALLY is what's the most important to them, they can't help it either because it's just the way their minds work.

I have been making so much progress, in finding MYSELF, my true humanity, fixing my real problems, that while I feel like I've passed a milestone my parents still see me as a jobless 20 year old that doesn't want to go to school. And I just wish I could make them see somehow....

--------------------
"Every individual is at once the beneficiary and the victim of the linguistic tradition into which he has been born - the beneficiary inasmuch as language gives access to the accumulated records of other people's experience, the victim in so far as it confirms him in the belief that reduced awareness is the only awareness and as it bedevils his sense of reality, so that he is all too apt to take his concepts for data, his words for actual things."

OfflineNetDiver
Wandering Mindfuck

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
Re: Exsistance is pointless... (prove me wrong, plz) [Re: Synapses-R-Us]
    #14275928 - 04/12/11 12:24 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I hope you don't think that person is going to respond. This thread is over six years old.

--------------------

OfflineSynapses-R-Us
Perspective is Subjective

Re: Exsistance is pointless... (prove me wrong, plz) [Re: NetDiver]
    #14275982 - 04/12/11 12:36 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Samurai Drifter said:
I hope you don't think that person is going to respond. This thread is over six years old.

dammit still getting used to this whole thing and the "similar threads" feature, gotta pay attention to dates next time XD

--------------------
"Every individual is at once the beneficiary and the victim of the linguistic tradition into which he has been born - the beneficiary inasmuch as language gives access to the accumulated records of other people's experience, the victim in so far as it confirms him in the belief that reduced awareness is the only awareness and as it bedevils his sense of reality, so that he is all too apt to take his concepts for data, his words for actual things."

Offlineorison
mcfluffysugarnuts

Re: Exsistance is pointless... (prove me wrong, pl [Re: Synapses-R-Us]
    #14276029 - 04/12/11 12:50 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

eh; 80yr training exercise to explore the universe forever. A bargain if you ask me.. :vaped:

--------------------

Offlinesoldatheero
lastirishman
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #14276110 - 04/12/11 01:08 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

What do you mean pointless? Points? Life isn't math class son.

--------------------
..and may the zelda theme song be with you at all times, amen.

Invisiblequinn
some kinda love
 User Gallery

#14276404 - 04/12/11 02:53 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

existence is existence

:blewmeanie:

but seriously why would you expect there to be anything more? :confused2:

--------------------
dripping with fantasy

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

#14322902 - 04/20/11 12:50 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

ShrooomKing said:

Why continue existing?

During my psychedelic experiences, I've had GOD, then lost god, then only to be reunited with a passion to the divine that makes up my existence and to that which has led to my life. I have so many obligations I must fulfill, to my parents, mostly to my mother, who has sacrificed so much, so that I may have an easier life.  A life without the struggle and poverty that she knew when she was young. How can I look her in her eyes and say: "you gave up happiness for me, yet with all the money we have, it is meaningless." How? Why?

For you to take my proof, for proof; you will have to accept it for/as proof! Thus you would prove yourself; by default! ...

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Re: Exsistance is pointless... (prove me wrong, pl [Re: quinn]
    #14322905 - 04/20/11 12:51 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

quinn said:
Quote:

existence is existence

:blewmeanie:

but seriously why would you expect there to be anything more? :confused2:

Words are words..

Concepts are concepts ..

They kind of overlap! :laugh:

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Offlinesynapz
pee on flowing lava = fail
Male

#14323144 - 04/20/11 01:53 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Basically ever since I was introduced to psychedelics, my whole view of life and the world around me has changed. I have learned to cherish every moment I have on this earth, and to live life as a happy centered person. Not caring for material wealth, but rather learning as much as I can about the world around me, and the wonderful existence that I possess.

this fool is under the delusion he possess existence, see the error of his ways and learn from it or else you could end up in that gutter

Quote:

Why continue existing?

Everyone try to un-fucking-exist

tricky huh?

Quote:

I can't seem to crack this one. Existing just to exist seems unfulfilling and boring.

Because he seeks to possess

Quote:

I live day by day, thinking why should I do all this pointless shit. Why not just put a bullet in my head, and move on to what is next, or rather to what is not next.

RIP

Quote:

At the moment I'm attending a University, however I no long am motivated by materialistic ideas to care that much about finishing. The idea of living in a remote location and simply surviving seems more intriguing to me than, finishing school, getting a job and working till all my material desires are met. What is the point? Why do this? Why not go off into the unknown and live life as a creature and no longer a human.

Read that a few times and let its energy sink in so you can be familiar with it and know it when you see it.. This guy is trouble.

Quote:

During my psychedelic experiences, I've had GOD, then lost god,

god = existence

trying to grasp existence to possess it:

you, have

then not have

"had GOD"

"lost god"

Notice

how

his energy and idea

of

God

only changes

when it is not giving him what he fucking wants, playing by his rules, under his control

that's a BAD god!

Quote:

eerie as fuck

Quote:

But You Exist And Always Exist

--------------------

Oh Snapz

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #14330176 - 04/21/11 09:28 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Sounds to me like a "spiritual emergency," also and at the same time, clinical depression based either on an endogenous lack of neurotransmitters, or, from late adolescent existential angst. Meaninglessness results from a classic "dark night of the soul," (loss of God) which is today called a "spiritual emergency" by Stan Grof. It's important to clarify what the condition is, and pin down its etiology in order to deal with it effectively. Clearly, you are not a happy camper. There is an order of operations in human life, as described by Abraham Maslow. You are not a human mammal, but a human being, unless you reduce your status to the former. Money is merely "green energy" as Ram Dass put it, and he was quite right. You are stuck in some weird extremist position. I have never aspired to wealth and its correlate - a life of excess, the life of the flesh and its desires. Better than having all one's desires fulfilled (which is really never possible since desires are without satiation), is a life lived with relative desirelessness against the backdrop of Fullness-Emptiness, the Plenum Void. Pure Consciousness is ultimately fulfilling. If I could spread my arms in the sun and be fed, instead of having to consume solar energy trapped in plants, or trapped in the animals who ate the plants, whom I ate - I certainly would! I would bypass the labrinthes of existence. Nevertheless, I live in a decent house which I have made into holy space. I continue to landscape the property as well to reflect colors, many different colors. And, I eat. I don't eat much compared to my peers, but I eat food and drink wine - just as Jesus was criticized for instead of being an ascetic. As to your suicidal ideation, you must not know or care about the utter control issue that such thinking reveals. It is egoic-mind trying to control the uncontrollability of life; to control impermanence and uncertainty. There is no professed centeredness in that at all. "In patience possess ye your soul," said Jesus allegedly, and if you can't grok that, then get some assistance, because life is a trip, and voluntarily cutting it short because you can't handle the suspense is condemned by every wisdom tradition. You''re not terminally ill - you're just too identified with your mortality instead of the Life in which you "live and move and have your being."

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Offlinejjdiggincrates
Stranger
Loc: maryland, US
Re: Exsistance is pointless... (prove me wrong, pl [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #14335149 - 04/22/11 08:20 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

to be without point is a meaning,  when you escape meaning your still.. meaning...

--------------------
love is the answer, to the question, how do we change the world?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom