Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Unknown Species of Gymnopilus
    #3208667 - 10/03/04 01:33 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Even though it hasn't rained here for a while I decided to take the day off Saturday and search for the elusive magic Gyms of Ohio. I spent about five hours searching the creek bottoms of Hocking Hills state park but encountered neither Big laughing Gym nor his little blue brother. I did however find these.

They were growing in tufts on the ground from the burried roots of a long dead stump (probably Hemlock). This was in a dark and damp hollow on the narrow flood plain of a small stream.
Rusty orange spore deposits were evident on some of the smooth yellow caps and the smell was the same as Big Laughing Gyms. I tasted a piece and the flavor was the same only not nearly as bitter. There was no bluing when I picked them, and now after about 5 hours they are changing from a pale yellow to a golden yellow but still no blue. The very small ones have cortinate partial veils and some of the big ones have a very faint ring on the stems.

I doubt these are active, but I'm curious to know if anybody has seen them before.

BTW Hocking Hills is a great place to hunt mushrooms. It hasn't rained for three weeks but the place was covered anyway. I found upwards of fifty different species today including a huge patch of those odd looking fat stemed Jack-o-lanturns that some body posted from Columbus a month or so ago. There were also plenty of good edibles: Honeys, Chickens, Bolets... And lots of A. muscaria var. formosa under the pine trees on the tops of the hills. No psilocybin though, unless on the off chance the Gyms above are active. Thanks guys.

Peace

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: Unknown Species of Gymnopilus [Re: shroomydan]
    #3212727 - 10/04/04 06:48 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

interesting - looks quite strange for a gym.

--------------------

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

#3212868 - 10/04/04 08:55 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

When I first saw them I thought they were sulfer tufts, but the orange spores and that distinctive Gym smell gave them away. I've been serching similar habitats for about seven years and this is my first encounter with small tufted skinny stemed Gyms.

I was considering a bioessay, you know for science :wink:, but I decided against it. Thanks for the response.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #3213444 - 10/04/04 01:33 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Hm.. there is a chance that they are not even Gymns

Definately nothing active or anything to eat.

OfflineAlsius
Non-photo Blue

Re: Unknown Species of Gymnopilus [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #3215558 - 10/04/04 09:37 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I too thought there were sulfur tufts by the pictures.

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

#3216124 - 10/04/04 11:57 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I found quite a few sulfur tufts that day, they were popping up everywhere. Those things are so annoying. The pins look like Gymnopilus from a distance so I get all excited just to be disappointed after I get a closer look, usually after climbing through briers.

I can't guarantee that the mushrooms in the photos are a species of Gymnopilus, but I would bet my last dollar on it. It's the smell. I've eaten enough G. spectabilis, and a bluing species (probably G. aeruginosus), to have that sweet smell burned into my brain. Spectabilis has a more spicy sweet smell, the blue ones smell like Marisino cherries (or maybe cherry flavored urinal cakes), and these ones remind me more of dried apricots; but the smell is really pretty much the same. They also share the same rubbery texture and that unmistakable bitter flavor when you bight into them. I didn't eat these, just tasted them and spit them out, but I chewed up enough to get a really good taste.

The gills did look kinda brown when the photos were taken but after drying a bit they have turned the characteristic bright orange, and of course the spores were rusty orange. You can see a thick deposit of them on the cap in the second photo.

As I mentioned earlier I don't expect that these are active, but every thing about them keys out to Gymnopilus. I left a few tufts there where I found them and will try to make it out there again and hopefully get some habitat photos after they open up all the way. I think maybe I'm becoming obsessed with this genus, but hey, it keeps me off the streets.

Peace love and shroomyness.  :smile: :heart: :mushroom2:

OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BRICK CITY!
Trusted Identifier
    #3217522 - 10/05/04 11:07 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

>or maybe cherry flavored urinal cakes

LOL! Flavored urinal cakes  :wink: :smirk:

/me imagines licking a urinal cake.

OfflineTheHunt
Known To Disturb An Ego
 User Gallery
Re: Unknown Species of Gymnopilus [Re: Gumby]
    #24419451 - 06/20/17 03:50 AM (2 months, 30 days ago)

I know this is a 12 year old thread, but maybe now we can get an answer, what is this mushroom?

Its certainly not a Gym. Maybe Phoilta?

And What gym tastes like cherries?
Nope thats way wrong hah

--------------------
This is not a game. We are not players. We do not play.
Gymnopilus aeruginosus Gymnopilus luteofolius Panaeolopsis sp. Panaeolus bispora Panaeolus cinctulus Panaeolus olivaceus Pluteus salicinus Psilocybe allenii Psilocybe azurescens Psilocybe cyanescens Psilocybe ovoideocystidiata Psilocybe pelliculosa Psilocybe semilanceata Psilocybe stuntzii

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification