Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

Contamination Forum * 1
    #320654 - 05/19/01 12:49 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

I think the problem that 3M had with contams recently really hit home with a lot of people. It seems to have raised some serious new concerns with people about the health issues in regards to contams.

Sterile posted a suggestion (in 3M's post in the spore vendor forum) that we start a health issues forum. I thought that seemed like a really good idea, but I think reality is that a fourm such as that would have very little posts. I was thinking of ways to extend that idea to make it a more viable forum.

I realized that there is very little information on this website (or at least very little I can find) about contams. Yes there are lots of posts that have something to do with contams in the cultivation forums, but it isn't easy to sort through.

I think it would be a good idea to reserve the Mushroom Cult forum to questions and comments about growing of shrooms, such as teks and substrates and optimal conditions, etc.

For the contams forum we could begin to catalog a list of different contams people have had with different strains, ways to combat these contams, identification of contams, health concerns in regards to contams, etc.

Contaminations are obviously a very big threat and concen to all growers and consumers at that. I think that if we had a forum dedicated to this that we might be able to develop new techniques to battle contams, such as all the new information on Cobweb mold that has been discovered recently. It seems as though it used to be such a threat to growers crops and now it is almost as if it never existed.

Please feel free to add to my idea or criticize it. I would love to know what everyone else thinks about this. Sorry if this has been brought up before but as most of you know I am fairly new to posting regularly.

Karen

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTrippinRhino
addict

Loc: TX
Re: Contamination Forum [Re: Karen] * 1
    #320664 - 05/19/01 01:11 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

I think this is a GREAT idea Karen! I wouln't mind seeing more pic to help identify contams. Nobody really wants to show them off in the cultivation forum-lol. It would be beneficial to us all to have more examples for identifying the funk we may come accross. I too read 3M's thread and got goose bumps. This is a person who has plenty of expirience in the cultivation world and HE could have died as a result of disregarded contams. I am sure all who read his thread will look a little closer in the future. Furthermore, some contams might be nipped in the bud if caught in time. The early signs of a contam...Not the obvious signs....Way to go Chick!

--------------------
All rhinos are endangered species...save the rhinos

OfflineTaz
veteran
    #320713 - 05/19/01 04:36 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

karen, this is worth looking into, this would free up mush and advance cult. forums with post concerning contams, but of course people would still post there. but you are right about the importance of contams. knowledge could be gained from this as well....

"Out of chaos...comes order...." AND THE FSR..

--------------------
"Most of the world's problems are caused by people taking things that do not belong to them..."

OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

Re: Contamination Forum [Re: Taz] * 1
    #322684 - 05/21/01 05:45 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Come on people...I find it hard to believe out of about 30 people looking at this post that only 2 people had an opinion on it.

If you think it is a good idea please post so. If you think it is a bad idea let us know that too.

The admins are only going to know what we want out of this Bulletin Board if we let them know. I'd really like for more people to voice their opinions on this matter...including the admins and mods.

Please post what you think if you read this.

Thanks
Karen

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
    #322694 - 05/21/01 05:51 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Interesting idea, but would it be better to open a new forum for this or maybe even just set up a contaminations section in the shroomery grow section with pictures etc.....

You are right Karen, people should voice their opinions, don't be afraid to tell us what you think....

Offlinebeanie
Loc: Arizona
Re: Contamination Forum [Re: Thor] * 1
    #322733 - 05/21/01 06:37 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

I think it would be very pertinent to have a Contamination Forum.
I think there are enough people that know what *should* be right and how things *should* look but if more people would post their problem instead of their success I think we all can learn and become better.
Seeing is believing but sometimes it is hard to determine what you are really looking at in some of the pictures. That is why describing colors, textures, and smells helps too.
Plus there are many people that experiment with different substrates, etc and you know they can't all be successful and contaim free.
I don't know about some of you but I can always access the gallery or some other pages on the shroomery. This is one place I can always get to when the server is down or whatever the problem is. It seems some people are a little more daring than others when taking their chances with contaims but I value my life, so the more I learn the better :)

Nice idea Karen

--------------------
FREE SPORE RING!!!

OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

#322739 - 05/21/01 06:51 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Actually I think BOTH would be a great idea.

I think the contamination section on the shroomery grow section would be important for newbies to understand contaminations more and to establish a sort of catalog of known contams and risks associated with those contams and possible ways of fighting them.

However if we also opened up a forum it would better allow for people to discuss new ideas in regards to battling these contams and newbies would have a good place to go to ask questions about a particular contam problem that they are experiencing.

The main problem with just a facts section is that it isn't interactive and it doesn't get updated all that quickly I would imagine. In most cases it also doesn't include experimental procedures.

The main problem with just having a contamination forum and no facts section is that it is harder to find the information you need in an endless list of posts even with the search function.

Contams are mentioned everywhere...in every single section of this board just about. That makes it virtually impossible to find real solid information on contams (ESPECIALLY if you don't know what you have).

Do a search for green mold and see how many posts you come up with? I am sure you come up with an insane amount of posts...and how many of these really give newbies the information they need. Not many. Most of the are just posts of people saying..."This sucks I lost my crop to green mold." "I cut out a section of contam from my casing and it seems to be doing fine now" etc. Very rarely are they posts that tell you how to identify or to fight them.

It is very clear that we are lacking enough information on contams on this site considering what a threat they are. Something should be done about this, whether it be my idea or something else I don't care. That's why I have been encouraging posts in this thread about it so we can figure out what is the best solution. I obviously don't know how difficult it is to set up a new forum...or a facts section for that matter but we definitely need something.

Maybe at some point we could set up a vote of possible options to see what people want. People would be more likely to respond to you Thor than to me for sure. Something like

What would you like to see in regards to contaminations at the shroomery?
a. A new contamination forum
b. A new facts section in the grow section
c. both a forum and a facts section
d. just leave things like they are

Thanks for the response Thor and hopefully at least something can be realized from this in the future, no matter what that is.

Karen

OfflineKrendle
veteran
    #322785 - 05/21/01 07:40 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

I'm with Karen, both would be good. A section with help identifying and curing contams, maybe even some rescue casing tek type things. Hell, you could even dedicate a whole image archive to the various common contams. A forum is a great idea, it would reduce the volume of posts in mush cult, and it would make a search of the archives easier for people looking for contam info.

A+ guys, I'd love to see this implemented.

This space has been donated to the WHBF. For more information, ask.

--------------------
First person to PM me with a truly witty sig gets to see their words at the bottom of my posts :wink:

OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

Re: Contamination Forum [Re: Krendle] * 1
    #323040 - 05/22/01 01:29 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

just testing to see how my new sig works. Since this is the post that spawned it, I figured I might as well do it here.

*MAKE THE SHROOMERY A BETTER PLACE!*
Visit the suggestion forum regularly. Respond to posts already there or create your own. Be an active participant in ALL aspects of this community!

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

#323163 - 05/22/01 08:07 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

I love it! You are a great example of a good community member, I always admire people who actively try to help the community with ideas and suggestions.... its the only way we will improve...

Thanks Karen, glad to have you in the community :smile:

Offlineshizifty
enthusiast
Loc: tdot
    #323427 - 05/22/01 02:46 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

While I would like to see a good doc in the cultivation section, I dont feel this is a big enough issue to warrant its own forum. How many comtams do we see? Green and cobweb most of the time. Whos going to identify these same contam descriptions time and time again? Who's qualified to do this, esp if they dont supply pics? One doc w/pics sounds sufficient, perhaps a post could be started with all suggestions and then a doc can be pulled out of it using some pics from the gallery. Good idea, because these questions are so often asked in dead threads.

----------------------------------------------------------
like the guy that runs the hawkes eye buying stock in peroxide my interests conflict cause the blind to go crosseyed

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------
creatures of the forest sing along with my chorus

OfflineTaz
veteran
    #323468 - 05/22/01 03:30 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Karen, I love your new signature. now if your attitude would just rub off......keep those ideals acomin' girl.

"Out of chaos...comes order...."

--------------------
"Most of the world's problems are caused by people taking things that do not belong to them..."

OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

Re: Contamination Forum [Re: shizifty] * 1
    #323902 - 05/23/01 12:55 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

i dunno....i kind of think that a forum for contamination would allow people not to be as embarassed by their mistakes. Perhaps if more notable posters posted some of their contams then people wouldn't feel so bad about theirs and share some of their stories and information.

Anybody else also think that this might happen?

i am still waiting to see a picture or description of wetspot bacteria....I have no idea what that is.

Karen

Visit the suggestion forum regularly. Respond to posts already there or create your own. Be an active participant in ALL aspects of this community!

Offlinenononsense
enthusiast

#323938 - 05/23/01 03:14 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Your right Karen,
In my opinion this new forum could help out a lot. Or adding a liberary with pics and info.
If you like I can add information from Micro-organisms in Food.
Because we are using foods (rye etc) it could help!
Also about pathogenic bacteria, producing toxins or are toxic themselves!
I think this is a great idea.

By the way, everyone who want's contam to be purified and named (so the source of the contamination can be found) can send samples 2 me. I will purify them in a lab and name the fuckers who fuck up your cakes/casings!!!

--------------------

OfflineTaz
veteran
Re: Contamination Forum [Re: nononsense] * 1
    #323955 - 05/23/01 04:17 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

wow, nononsense, are U serious about that? about identifying contams? maybe if people would send you stuff and after U identify it you could take pics and post this info to show what it is what it looks like and stuff. I have only had to deal with cobweb mold, green mold (which needs no introductions), and black mold. these are the only three I have ever had to be faced with but I know there must be hundreds of contams out there. The 3 I jsut mentioned are the ones that seem to be the most talked about and the most to freakwent a grow operation.

--------------------

Offlinenononsense
enthusiast

#323970 - 05/23/01 05:18 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

For sure, as it also is an interest of me (all types of bacteria) and because the identifieng techniques are part of my education. I can go to school and identify them in my spare time, shouldn't be much of a problem!
For setting up the liberary I will assist where possible!
Only thing is I'm only into food micro-organisms, as mushrooms are micro-organisms and food I think I can cover a lot of the various types. But as alway's nothing covers all up so there might be micro-organisms wich I have never heard off!
For substrate wich can also be used to make foods off like rye, rice, wheat, corn etc I can help alot!!
Peace

--------------------

OfflineTaz
veteran
    #323989 - 05/23/01 06:11 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

well as far as putting the library together, U could just record those most common to be found with growing shrooms, then as someone sends you something that is different than all the contams U already have listed, U can just add that in there. I can tell you right now that the most common contams that everybody seems to get will be the first of the list U put together, which wouldn't be much at first, then someone could list, what to look for/how to cure it. get rid of it. and the more funky shit that shows up the bigger the library would get, it could be used as a faq here at the shroomery. then a person could just go to that fag and read and then compare with whatever the problem might be.

It would have to be vary detailed info on the contam, I mean detailed as in what they should look for. otherwise if people can't understand the faq, guess what? they will be posting in the forums asking about it anyway. I wonder if there would be someone here who would be willing to take on this task of researching the info then compiling it all into a faq?? anyone?

--------------------

Offlinenononsense
enthusiast

#323992 - 05/23/01 06:21 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

I want 2 do that! But I will have to do thorough research.
As for starch sources you'd like smell for sour, protein sources for rotten, these are first steps.
It can be hard to identify if mixes of contams occur
Most single contam cultures I've seen were molds.

Bacteria are harder 2 identify, because of the shape, mold is better visible.
But having knowledge on foods, I can have advantage on this topic, like 2 aplly for writing a faq, but a little assistance would be helpfull!!

--------------------

Offlinelostlogic
journeyman
    #324003 - 05/23/01 07:00 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

c)

OfflineJuggles
old hand
Loc: Massachusetts
Re: Contamination Forum [Re: lostlogic] * 1
    #324317 - 05/23/01 03:25 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

I think a contamination forum is a great idea!! Also a section on the shroomery website about contams would be good as well. We definitly need a place to easily search through pictures of contams and the like so we can know ways to combat them. Please implement this soon!!

--------------------------------------------------------------
Do you know the muffin man?
The muffin man?
The muffin man!
Yes, I know the muffin man... Who lives on strawberry lane?

--------------------
---
If sometimes you feel yourself little, useless, and depressed, always remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious sperm out of hundreds of millions.

OfflineVektor
Stranger
Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
    #324777 - 05/24/01 12:35 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

right on...we definitely need an information section and a forum on contams...i just started growing, and i have no idea what to look for as far as what it looks and/or smells like, how dangerous it can be to me, and how to deal with it...i'm pretty much in the dark, and i would feel a lot safer if there was more information available...

InvisibleBillyblastoff
Psychoactivepredator
 User Gallery

Loc: Down these mean city stre...
Re: Contamination Forum [Re: Vektor] * 1
    #325002 - 05/24/01 10:57 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

A forum dedicated to contamination is a good enough idea to at least give it a try. There is nothing to lose at the very least you'll gather together what is known about the more common contams. This would be especially helpful to the people who are new to mushroom cultivation plus will encourage people to post any new contams. I dont think it is reasonable to say that people are going to post their mistakes in forums dedicated to "advanced cultivation". A forum dedicated to this area will encourage people to look at these most times harmless sometimes toxic/dangerous fungi's with new interest and who knows what we may find? I dont think that it will have the traffic some of the other forums have but who's to say thats not a "good thing". Lets concern ourselves with the quality of posts and not "how many".
I nominate Karen as the first moderator (of course)

Tell me something good then I might agree with you..

--------------------
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create."

"There is a wealth of information built into us, tucked away in the genetic material in every one of our cells. The psychedelic drugs allow exploration of this interior world, and insights into its nature."

Tell me something good then I might agree with you....the Smithereens

OfflineScourge
The Dr.
Loc: Near flint Michgan, USA
    #325006 - 05/24/01 11:09 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Best idea sence sliced bread.

"Those who walk in Love and Truth shall grown in Honor and Strength."

--------------------
"Those who walk in Love and Truth shall grow in Honor and Strength."

Offlinejonnyshaggs420
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mid-West
    #325350 - 05/24/01 05:52 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

I think a contam section in the shroomery grow section is a great idea.  It can contain an index of many different contams w/pictures and identifying features as well as health issues, growth, optimal conditions for contam growth and such.

A new contam forum would be an excellent addition as well.  This way people can discuss ways to avoid contams or stop them once they've started and different methods of sterilization and such. 

Great Idea karen!

I can see a world where this is no poverty and no war, I can also see us attacking that world because they would never expect it. :wink:

--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

Offlinethem_26
enthusiast
Re: Contamination Forum [Re: Billyblastoff] * 1
    #325351 - 05/24/01 05:54 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

I'd like to second the nomination.
What about that teen who doesn't know to tell the Doc. what the problem may be? Let's save a life in addition to keeping souls from being imprisioned. It should be done.

Offlinecorkscrew
Stranger
Re: Contamination Forum [Re: them_26] * 1
    #325356 - 05/24/01 06:02 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

some people say contams are no big deal because when they grow outside there's tonz of contams, but... the info i found might of been faulty and i keep hearing about 3m? can someone post a link where i can read this story... because i never really thought twice about contams. (((({{{{thnx!!!!!!!}}}})))))

OfflineTaz
veteran
Re: Contamination Forum [Re: corkscrew] * 1
    #325822 - 05/25/01 02:48 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

corkscrew, shrooms that grow in the wild have evolved to help itself ward off those tons of contams, shrooms that have been grow indoors do not come into contact so there for have a vary weak tolerance to contams, this is why it is so about shrooms outdoors....think about it.....

--------------------

Offlinenononsense
enthusiast

#327584 - 05/28/01 01:36 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

I hooked up an example of Mushroom Cultivation of Paul stamets.
I will copy the pages I need and will make a file containing the contams from stamets. I will add more information from microbiologie of foods wich I have at home. If possible this I will add colour photo's of contams!
If this could be put in a forum or so this would be great, or in the faq!!

--------------------

OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

#328379 - 05/28/01 11:23 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Just wondering if any of the admins have decided to do or not do anything with this yet?? Please keep us updated!

Thanks,

Karen

Invisibledimitri211
Carpal Tunnel
    #328386 - 05/28/01 11:31 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Karen is so mellow polite she almost does not fit in But it's nice to have you here you kind of keep things looking no so bad

www.thehawkseye.com
Sacred Mushroom Spores
----------------------------------------------
Donations to the shroomery
www.paypal.com (Account thor@shroomery.org)

OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

Re: Contamination Forum [Re: dimitri211] * 1
    #328396 - 05/28/01 11:43 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

hehehe yeah funny that's how I come across on this thing....but if you knew me in person ....That would be a whole different story!!!

Karen

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

#328406 - 05/28/01 11:52 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for your patience Karen, we have been discussing it. Lets just say our plate has been pretty full lately, and this great idea will get attention starting tomorow... I'm going to sleep :wink:

So nice when people politely ask whats up instead of bitching at us for not doing anything ..... Karen you rule, you should be a moderator, well actually the Contam forum will need 2 mods, I guess thats a done deal.....

Till tomorow....

OfflineCrobih
rap-cord
Loc: cave
    #328497 - 05/29/01 03:08 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Me as not just the founder of the shroomery, but even a lot more, support this idea.

Offlinenononsense
enthusiast

#328519 - 05/29/01 04:59 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

So I suppose Karen and I could fit just fine don't we Karen???
I guess I'll be reading it tomorrow, my day is 1/2 way!
I am busy on the mushroom contam faq, will report when having some 2 show!

--------------------

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

#328763 - 05/29/01 12:53 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

OK, its set up, Karen and nononsense are the moderators... Check in with the moderator forum and say hello :smile:

Invisibleralphster44
collector
 User Gallery

#329019 - 05/29/01 05:53 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator.

--------------------
www.RalphstersSpores.com

WE SHIP TO CANADA FROM WITHIN CANADA :smile:

For your safety and security, we have a Secure Website.
Also for your security, we will not take your credit card number.
Your security and safety is of utmost importance to us.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate