Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
That pesky "left-wing" press again...
    #3203842 - 10/01/04 01:52 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Recent speech to Congress by Quisling Allawi:

We estimate at least 300,000 in mass graves, which stands as monuments to the inhumanity of Saddam's regime.

The reality (that none of the "left-wing" american press appeared to have picked up on):

Downing Street has admitted to The Observer that repeated claims by Tony Blair that '400,000 bodies had been found in Iraqi mass graves' is untrue, and only about 5,000 corpses have so far been uncovered.
The claims by Blair in November and December of last year, were given widespread credence, quoted by MPs and widely published, including in the introduction to a US government pamphlet on Iraq's mass graves.

In that publication - Iraq's Legacy of Terror: Mass Graves produced by USAID, the US government aid distribution agency, Blair is quoted from 20 November last year: 'We've already discovered, just so far, the remains of 400,000 people in mass graves.'

On 14 December Blair repeated the claim in a statement issued by Downing Street in response to the arrest of Saddam Hussein and posted on the Labour party website that: 'The remains of 400,000 human beings [have] already [been] found in mass graves.'

The admission that the figure has been hugely inflated follows a week in which Blair accepted responsibility for charges in the Butler report over the way in which Downing Street pushed intelligence reports 'to the outer limits' in the case for the threat posed by Iraq.

It comes amid inflation from an estimate by Human Rights Watch in May 2003 of 290,000 'missing' to the latest claims by the Iraqi Prime Minister, Iyad Allawi, that one million are missing.

At the heart of the questions are the numbers so far identified in Iraq's graves. Of 270 suspected grave sites identified in the last year, 55 have now been examined, revealing, according to the best estimates that The Observer has been able to obtain, around 5,000 bodies. Forensic examination of grave sites has been hampered by lack of security in Iraq, amid widespread complaints by human rights organisations that until recently the graves have not been secured and protected.

While some sites have contained hundreds of bodies - including a series around the town of Hilla and another near the Saudi border - others have contained no more than a dozen.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/politics/story/0,6903,1263830,00.html

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: That pesky "left-wing" press again... [Re: Xlea321]
    #3203894 - 10/01/04 02:40 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I know Saddam is/was a total dick but I knew he didn't kill as many people as right wingers claim he did in order to justify this unjust war.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: BLC - I Don't Wanna Go

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: That pesky "left-wing" press again... [Re: Learyfan]
    #3203910 - 10/01/04 03:05 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I hope that's a photoshop job...

actually, I don't, cuz then I'd have a little
faith restored in the levity of humanity.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: That pesky "left-wing" press again... [Re: Xlea321]
    #3204202 - 10/01/04 05:00 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

What Alex's article of course fails to mention is that Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch and other NGO's are the source for those figures, not the British government. The humanitarian orgs have had those numbers (and some reading as high as a million) on their websites for years -- long before the invasion took place.

We are supposed to accept uncritically the bogus numbers posted by various Saddam apologists regarding the number of Iraqi deaths caused by the UN-mandated sanctions on Iraq -- despite the fact that the people who actually conducted the surveys specifically state that they cannot be used to produce reliable numbers of deaths -- yet we are supposed to somehow know their estimates of the numbers of people killed by the Iraqi Ba'athists is wildly inaccurate.

Makes perfect sense to me, derrrrrrr.

pinky

--------------------

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: That pesky "left-wing" press again... [Re: Phred]
    #3204281 - 10/01/04 05:27 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

What Alex's article of course fails to mention is that Amnesty International and other NGO's are the source for those figures, not the British government

Not quite. Read it again. It says DOWNING STREET (you know, the british government..) have ADMITTED the 400,000 figures that BLAIR was alleging are wrong.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: That pesky "left-wing" press again... [Re: Phred]
    #3204304 - 10/01/04 05:35 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

yet we are supposed to somehow know their estimates of the numbers of people killed by the Iraqi Ba'athists is wildly inaccurate.

No, you are supposed to dig up the corpses and say "We have discovered x number of corpses". Not lie and say "We have discovered 400,000 corpses.

It really is that simple.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion