Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, HEPA Filter, Portable Greenhouse, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinenu2mycology
trying out pooh
 User Gallery

Loc: Florida USA
winter rye???
    #3203366 - 10/01/04 11:00 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

The only whole Rye I have been able to locate is from a grain mill, and the guy says it is winter rye. Will this be suitable for using with a rye tek? :mushroom2: :frown: :confused: :thumbup: :confused: :thumbdown:

--------------------
The author of this lies more than the government and you should not believe anything he writes!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblepsilomonkey
Twisted brainwrong of a oneoff man mental

Loc: Airstrip One
Re: winter rye??? [Re: nu2mycology]
    #3203377 - 10/01/04 11:04 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

yes.

Offlinewds
another brick

Loc: Mother Earth
Re: winter rye??? [Re: psilomonkey]
    #3203461 - 10/01/04 11:58 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

i believe what you're referring to is rye grass seed, which is not rye grain. (or maybe you have the right one, since you mentioned grain mill... but winter rye sounds like rye grass)

http://www.shroomery.org/glossary.php?ltr=R

i can't tell you if rye grass seed works for p. cubensis, but that link states that rye grass seed can be used as substrate for p. mexicana and p. tampanensis. i asked this same question, and if it could be used for cubensis, but i never got an answer... maybe you will.

--------------------
I wish psychedelic mushrooms were legal, because I would like to indulge in this amazing fruit of the earth. Unfortunately, I can only learn about this interesting hobby, and cultivate legal mushrooms.

Offlinenu2mycology
trying out pooh
 User Gallery

Re: winter rye??? [Re: wds]
    #3209175 - 10/03/04 08:19 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Well, I told the guy at the grainmill that I needed whole Rye berries. He said that he could have the grain for me on Monday or Tuesday. I will get 112 pounds for $20, so if it is not what I need it isn't much $ lost. I will let ya know what it is when I get it. I have a feeling that the grain mill guy knows what I wanted. He asked me what it looked like and I told him. So time will tell!
Will let y'all know soon!
Happy trails!

--------------------
The author of this lies more than the government and you should not believe anything he writes!

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #3209294 - 10/03/04 10:09 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Cubs I've grown love rye grass seed.Out performed BRF.IMO.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

OfflineHambo
Limey

Loc: UK
Re: winter rye??? [Re: KaptKid]
    #3209303 - 10/03/04 10:18 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I'm getting the impression that cubensis will grow on just about anything grainy..

I hope so, I just got some bird seed but it doesnt look very much like the stuff in the Tek.. it even has dried peas in it..

Gonna give it a go anyway.

--------------------

Invisiblepsilomonkey
Twisted brainwrong of a oneoff man mental

Loc: Airstrip One
Re: winter rye??? [Re: wds]
    #3226653 - 10/07/04 11:10 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

No, Winter Rye and Spring Rye are both cereal crops, just one is winter hardy and the other is a normal spring crop.

Rye Grass is something else.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: winter rye??? [Re: psilomonkey]
    #3227045 - 10/07/04 01:10 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Stuff I get is winter rye, works great. My god I wish I got those prices. 53 cents a pound buying 50 pound bags (less is 59 a pound) for rye berries (whole, hes right thats what you wanted). Want to ship any of that here? :smile:

Rye grass is something different but does work for cubies. I've worked with both substrates for both cubies and Tamps and I've actually found that Tampanensis produce more stones in berries then in rye grass. Rye grass is better for fruiting them however. With cubies, Rye grass offers a killer first flush (better then that of rye berries) but the second flush is about half the first and after that is only a 3rd and 4th flush of a few small shrooms. Rye grass is also harder to work with (both preparing and trying to break it up to case it) though colonization was also quicker then with rye berries.

By the way..that rye should be all you need for a long time. I've found 1 pound of rye makes about 2 quarts which makes about 2 casings that produce about 2 ounces each over 3 flushes. So 2 ounces each for 2 casings from one pound of rye after 3 flushes gets me about 4 ounces dried off every pound of rye after about 4-5 weeks of being in my fruiting chamber (about 2 weeks before that too for colonization of jars and casing). Hmm 4 ounces per pound, 112 pounds and thats 28 pounds of dry mushrooms for 20 bucks (well not counting the one time expenses of jars and chambers and other such stuff).

Can't beat that......

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinenu2mycology
trying out pooh
 User Gallery

Re: winter rye??? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3227096 - 10/07/04 01:19 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I found rye berries here in a supermarket for $1.09 a pound. But luckily they didn't have any at the moment, because I then found another grain mill that does have rye berries, and the price is $4 for a 56 pound bushel! But for me the catch is: it is stored in silos, and to get it ya gotta pull a truck with an open bed, like a pickup truck, to get it dumped into. I have no pickup, but I will soon find someone with one! :cool: :rasta: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :rasta: :cool:

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3227239 - 10/07/04 01:49 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Well it should go well with all that tyvek you just ordered! Seems like you got something big planned :smile: Good luck! Always nice to see people going big..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Offlinenu2mycology
trying out pooh
 User Gallery

Re: winter rye??? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3227809 - 10/07/04 03:35 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Right now I am in the process of redoing my upstairs. I stripped everything in 1 room,painted everything white,laid white lenoleum,moved the aeroponic units to the basement, am building a work table as well as a bunch of shelves for bins and casings and my 2 40 gallon water incubators and glove box. am also planning the construction of an oversized "martha" type setup.
Here is my question, my area is 160 square feet I have constructed an airlock, or anti chamber but my only air source is a vent from the central air. Should I install some sort of vent in the roof? or add more airflow somehow? Does it sound like I'm missing anything else that is essential?

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3228475 - 10/07/04 04:55 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I would imagine a central air vent would be enough. Are you going to humidify the whole room? Or just put a very large Martha type closet in there. If your doing the whole room keep in mind you'll need plastic everywhere and sealed well. Though your better off buying a free standing green house so contams don't start building up on your wall between the plastic and the wall. And they would otherwise.

I would also have a HEPA in there and fan's to push around the air within the chamber to move around any co2 pockets there may be. I put a small fan right in front of my ultrasonic so it blows the mist up and around when the ultrasonic kicks on. Plus a cool mist with the fan in it blowing straight up. Gets nice and humid air, keeps it from being stagnant.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, HEPA Filter, Portable Greenhouse, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation