Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineChameleon
Stranger
Affects On Potency?
    #3203352 - 10/01/04 10:55 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I've read a lot of opinions on environment and conditions affecting potency but are there any solid proofs?

I've grown some Golden Teachers on brf, they grew to about 4 inches tall and about 3 inch diameter caps...they were pretty small, I let them complete their full cycle all the way up to dropping their spores, or just a little before they did, they did shortly after picking. I've eaten some, and shared with friends and these things are potent like no others we've eaten, I was wonderin if it's cuz most of the people that sell there shit don't let them mature fully, usually caps are closed? Also I air dry mine, no fan no nothin, just put'em in a cupboard and let them dry in a dark room temperature place.

So basically my questions are, Does maturity have an affect on potency and the drying process as well? And maybe the substrate? I don't think many use brf for bulk and I'd assume that the sellers grow in bulk there fore not using brf, but millet or some other substrate?

anyway, thanks for your time, sorry for such a long post...see ya, n thanks again!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSilven
I trip,therefore weare.

Loc: El Mexicano
Re: Affects On Potency? [Re: Chameleon]
    #3203367 - 10/01/04 11:00 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

The less mature they are, the more potent they are.  The aborts you find are some of the most potent that you will eat, also if you pick them before the veil breaks a lot of people believe them to be more potent.  I pick mine RIGHT AFTER the veil breaks.  As soon as I find out it's broke, the mushrooms come off the cake to prevent them from eating up any nutes that my other ones might need.

Substrate probably has something to do with it, but I'd want someone elses advice onn this part since I don't really know.

Air drying compared to using any heat at all.. the air dried ones will be more potent IMO.  I would fan though so as the mushrooms don't go bad, but hell if it works for you, it's all good.

BRF isn't very nutritious to mushrooms compared to like a grain or straw/poo substrate, since the only thing the verm is providing is water.

- Silven :mushroom2:

--------------------
Born: 10/31/83, which makes me a Scorpio.

1) Scorpios are the most highly sexed of all the signs of the zodiac.
2) Scorpios are prone to excesses: booze, drugs, sex, bad puns, etc.
They usually exploit the weaknesses of others, who fall victim to
their capacity for total lust & sexual abberation.
3) Scorpios possess great intellectual curiosity & creative talent. They
think they are rebels & are arrogant, proud, conceited, and worth every
penny of it.

What do you bring to the table?

InvisibleLifenergy
Yo Mama

Re: Affects On Potency? [Re: Chameleon]
    #3203539 - 10/01/04 12:32 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Every cube I've ever had, regardless of substrate or conditions has been close enough to the same in potency that I couldn't tell the difference. The only exception being a few wild ones that a friend picked that were way too mature and dried in the hot sun. It took 5 grams of those to get any effect. Cubes are Cubes, man, as long as they are grown and dried with care. I personally don't like the idea of profiting from them. I try to give mine away to friends who deserve and appreciate them. The mushies know what they will be used for, be it knowledge or material gain, and I believe that they respond accordingly.

--------------------
Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see.

OfflineMycoCat
a.k.a. ShroomCat

Re: Affects On Potency? [Re: Lifenergy]
    #3203913 - 10/01/04 03:07 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

It is generally accepted that the mushroom focuses on the production of psychoactive compounds before the veil breaks and switches to reproduction after the veil breaks (spore production). So mushrooms harvested just before the veil breaks will be at peak potency (as well as with aborts, because you will have the most psilocybin/psilocin content per weight with them).

As far as substrate affecting potency I've read a lot that straw/dung grow much more potent mushrooms than BRF, but I'm just beginning personal experience with that, so I'll try to update.

--------------------
No question is so difficult to answer as that to which the answer is obvious.

Meow.

OfflineMycoCat
a.k.a. ShroomCat

Re: Affects On Potency? [Re: MycoCat]
    #3203924 - 10/01/04 03:10 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Also, if your mushrooms were the most potent you've eaten, it could be the factors that led up to you getting mushrooms before.

Improper drying (drying with heat seriously affects potency), the freshness of the mushrooms and what conditions they've been stored under all affect the potency of mushrooms.

So while potency between strains varies very little, you taking proper care of your mushrooms lent to them being some of the best you've had.

--------------------
No question is so difficult to answer as that to which the answer is obvious.

Meow.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation