Home | Community | Message Board


Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Microscope, Peat, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinediscman1
journeyman
Registered: 08/24/04
Posts: 962
Last seen: 11 years, 11 months
To case or not to case.. that is the question.
    #3202289 - 10/01/04 01:57 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Well, my cakes are comming along nicely. Here are some pics.

PC Ecuador


PC Cambodia


The Ecuador is definately proving to be much slower than Cambodia. About 1/3rd slower. Since this is my first grow, I have no real way to gauge ... anything.. lol.. but I'd estimate the Cambodian jars are about 1/3rd of the way colonized.

Anyway.. I've been doing a lot of reading on casing, and I'm not sure if I should try it or not. I really want to, but I'm afraid of contams and.. fscking up. :wink:

I have 12 cakes, 6 of each kind.. I guess I could try a few casings by cutting some cakes up, no? I dunno what the point of this post is, I guess just for some suggestions on a successful casing. Yeah, I've read all through the FAQ, but I'm hoping one of you can give me some advice that will give me confidence. :wink:

The thing I'm most worried about is the timing on when to initiate fruiting. Is there some no-fail marker that I can look for, or am I going to have to trial and error it?


Edited by discman1 (10/01/04 01:59 AM)


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BurgerTime, Space Invaders
Registered: 10/21/02
Posts: 7,282
Trusted Cultivator
Re: To case or not to case.. that is the question. [Re: discman1]
    #3202347 - 10/01/04 02:09 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)



--------------------



     
Quote:

pftek said:Impossible to clean everything right now. Maybe in a week.





ROTHBURY

:pm:


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Registered: 05/08/04
Posts: 11,483
Loc: Flag
Last seen: 3 years, 10 months
Trusted Cultivator
Re: To case or not to case.. that is the question. [Re: george castanza]
    #3202427 - 10/01/04 02:25 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Case. That is the answer. Id case them all. Shoot for 1/2inch to inch thick substrate with a 1/4 inch layer of verm/coco coir on top. Different casing mixes work though, whatever you want but go for that. Probably 2 or 3 cakes per casing for 4-6 casings. Make sure you dont mix the strains :smile:

When you case put back in the incubator. Check after 3 days and every day after and when there is some spots of white poking through pull it out and put some new casing mix over the white spots. None over the rest of it though. This gives it a chance to catch up with those early spots. Then spray it down well and throw it in your fruiting chamber. A few days later myc will start comming up (spray it and keep it moist until it does) then a little while longer youll get primordia and then pins and then you know what :smile:


--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblegloom
journeyman
Registered: 09/14/04
Posts: 125
Re: To case or not to case.. that is the question. [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3202526 - 10/01/04 02:52 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
Case. That is the answer. Id case them all. Shoot for 1/2inch to inch thick substrate with a 1/4 inch layer of verm/coco coir on top. Different casing mixes work though, whatever you want but go for that. Probably 2 or 3 cakes per casing for 4-6 casings. Make sure you dont mix the strains :smile:

When you case put back in the incubator. Check after 3 days and every day after and when there is some spots of white poking through pull it out and put some new casing mix over the white spots. None over the rest of it though. This gives it a chance to catch up with those early spots. Then spray it down well and throw it in your fruiting chamber. A few days later myc will start comming up (spray it and keep it moist until it does) then a little while longer youll get primordia and then pins and then you know what :smile:




I have a few questions for you scatmanrav,

where do I buy coco coir?
what you're saying is, put it in the fruiting chamber only....  3 days after with fresh casing mix on top without mycellium? and the mycellium would grow in the fruiting chamber? that's how you made it seem.. it sounds all wrong to me.
why cant you mix the mushrooms? I don't think they'd end up with a comtaminant/poisonous or anything, just some good "crossbreed" mushrooms.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Registered: 05/08/04
Posts: 11,483
Loc: Flag
Last seen: 3 years, 10 months
Trusted Cultivator
Re: To case or not to case.. that is the question. [Re: gloom]
    #3202584 - 10/01/04 03:09 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

You buy coco coir at a pet store comes in bricks that are hard and brownish and breaks up in layers. Its called Bed A Beast or Eco Earth and is used for reptile cages at the bottom. Expands with water and doesnt need to be mixed with lime as the pH is fine (unlike peat moss).

Yes thats what I'm saying, sometimes it takes a day less or a day mor but 2-5 days after casing. Whenever myc starts poking through. Mycelium will of course grow in the fruiting chamber and continue to colonize the casing layer. Some might put it back in the chamber after patching it but I do what I told you. You dont have to take my word for it, its your grow so if it sounds wrong to you, by all means..




If you mix strains they will compete with eachother and basically act as contaminates to each other and would most likly not fruit or would at least give you poor fruits and they would not be hybrids which can not be made with mushrooms except at a microscopic level by a professional. It's a common mistake and misconception and why I mentioned it.

Like I said take my word for it or don't. I don't know what I'm talking about anyways :smile:  :smirk: :mushroom2: :shake: :nut: :headbang: :goodluck:


--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinediscman1
journeyman
Registered: 08/24/04
Posts: 962
Last seen: 11 years, 11 months
Re: To case or not to case.. that is the question. [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3202744 - 10/01/04 04:01 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
Case. That is the answer. Id case them all. Shoot for 1/2inch to inch thick substrate with a 1/4 inch layer of verm/coco coir on top. Different casing mixes work though, whatever you want but go for that. Probably 2 or 3 cakes per casing for 4-6 casings. Make sure you dont mix the strains :smile:

When you case put back in the incubator. Check after 3 days and every day after and when there is some spots of white poking through pull it out and put some new casing mix over the white spots. None over the rest of it though. This gives it a chance to catch up with those early spots. Then spray it down well and throw it in your fruiting chamber. A few days later myc will start comming up (spray it and keep it moist until it does) then a little while longer youll get primordia and then pins and then you know what :smile:




I'm not sure if I want to case them all.. I'd like to have at least 1 cake of each kind, just because I want to see how that works, too.

Is it better to break the cakes up, or could I just find a container where two halves of a cake(cut down the center) fit nicely with a little room to spare, and case that? I've been so careful to keep everything as sterile as I can, I don't like the idea of breaking them up.

I guess I'm just hoping for a good crop on my first try, so I'm nervous about screwing it up.. lol

I live right by American Agriculture(Vita Grow products), so I can get coir easily.. it's only 2$ for 1.5 cubic feet of it... I guess I'll give it my best shot.

Next time I plan on going with a rye or maybe WBS tek. I don't like the slow colonization of the cakes.. although I guess it's only been 11 days since innoculation. I also want to get into the karo thing..

I can already tell this is going to be a fun hobby.. I've always had a green thumb.. I'm beginning to think that I have a white one, too.  :heart: :cool:

Where can I get a Martha Stewart closet? K-Mart? lol


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BurgerTime, Space Invaders
Registered: 10/21/02
Posts: 7,282
Trusted Cultivator
Re: To case or not to case.. that is the question. [Re: discman1]
    #3202760 - 10/01/04 04:06 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

ya, that bitch needs the cash now that she is in the bop... :frown:


--------------------



     
Quote:

pftek said:Impossible to clean everything right now. Maybe in a week.





ROTHBURY

:pm:


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Microscope, Peat, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Casing Questions
( 1 2 3 all )
Peaceful Jib 2,158 46 06/29/07 04:03 PM
by xaxphaanes
* casing question & new jar incubation (expieriment) HALFemptyJOSH 944 3 03/11/04 06:54 AM
by Tantalus
* Casing question from a newbie mudvayne 722 5 08/19/04 05:27 PM
by JAMIEK
* Coco Coir Casing Question malibu76 1,543 7 08/24/04 12:27 PM
by Spudz76
* Casing question (pics included) Katrina 668 5 10/19/04 07:46 PM
by hyphae
* MISTING CASINGS QUESTION!!! coop 941 3 03/14/04 02:53 PM
by CerebralFlower
* Casing question Miller 492 8 03/21/05 02:11 PM
by HippieChick
* casing question mostdreadful 212 2 07/20/05 02:11 AM
by ThumpaCap

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Magash, Shroomism, george castanza, Prisoner#1, RogerRabbit, Citric, total, FooMan, 13shrooms, stonesun, EvilMushroom666, cronicr, PussyFart
623 topic views. 17 members, 50 guests and 30 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Toggle Favorite | Print Topic | Stats ]
Search this thread:
Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Copyright 1997-2016 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.086 seconds spending 0.003 seconds on 14 queries.