Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineWorf
Lt. Commander

Loc: Final Frontier
MP3 Creator Warns Tech Impasse Dooming Downloads
    #3197358 - 09/29/04 08:07 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml...storyID=6368196

BERLIN (Reuters) - Rival technologies that baffle consumers will run more companies out of business in the nascent music download market than will head-to-head competition, one of the lead creators of MP3 playback technology warned on Wednesday.

"It has slowed the download business for sure, and it's doing the same for the gadget makers," said Dr. Karlheinz Brandenburg, director of electronic media technologies at the Fraunhofer Institut in Ilemenau, Germany.

Consumers nowadays can store thousands of songs in a pocket-sized device, play music and videos on their mobile phones and buy albums at the click of a button.

But to their chagrin, a bewildering number of competing playback compression technologies and anti-piracy software options determine which songs play on which devices.

Apple Computers, Real Networks and Sony Corp. each have developed proprietary playback and DRM anti-piracy technologies. Songs bought on Apple's iTunes music store can play only on Apple iPods. Ditto for Sony.

The alphabet soup of technologies is meant to prevent fans from rampantly duplicating and transferring songs to others.

Brandenburg said he twice warned manufacturers and music labels that they risk alienating fans and driving them to unsanctioned file-sharing networks, where the songs are free and encoded in the unprotected MP3 format.

"They didn't listen. Maybe they thought it made commercial sense not to have a standard. It's very strange," he told Reuters on the sidelines of the Popkomm music conference.

Brandenburg should be the last man on the planet to complain about the impasse. Granted a lucrative patent in 1986 for developing the MP3, he and the Fraunhofer Institut collect royalties on the sale of MP3 players, including Apple's iPod.

"Blank MP3s is the only standard. It is supported by all," he said. "This has been good news for Fraunhofer. And, I consider myself a wealthy man as well."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: MP3 Creator Warns Tech Impasse Dooming Downloads [Re: Worf]
    #3198439 - 09/30/04 12:21 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I really wish more people would stop encoding with mp3 and use ogg instead. Thankfully the big ripping crews (at least of hiphop & electronic music scene) seem to be switching over to ogg.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: MP3 Creator Warns Tech Impasse Dooming Downloads [Re: Vvellum]
    #3199327 - 09/30/04 09:21 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

> I really wish more people would stop encoding with mp3 and use ogg instead.

Why? I know nothing about ogg, so I ask in ignorance, not in spite.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleMarioNett
Stranger
Re: MP3 Creator Warns Tech Impasse Dooming Downloads [Re: Seuss]
    #3202243 - 09/30/04 11:49 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

MP3 is a copyrighted proprietary format. The owners let you use the software for free, but they don't really have to. To sell a hardware mp3 player, you have to pay them a royalty.

OGG, on the other hand, is an open, free format. Also it crunches files down a little smaller than mp3 if I'm not mistaken. All the big-name software players will play OGG, but not all hardware players will.

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: MP3 Creator Warns Tech Impasse Dooming Downloads [Re: Seuss]
    #3204624 - 10/01/04 05:09 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

ogg encoding sounds much better than the standard mp3 encoding. the file sizes are typically lower for such quality which is good for file-sharing and/or portable music players  (or even application packages that use sound - unreal tournament 2004 I know uses ogg instead of mp3). and as supercollider explained, ogg is open/free.

check it out: ogg vorbis faq

:thumbup:

InvisibleSimisu
taken by gravity
 User Gallery

Loc: Israeli in
Re: MP3 Creator Warns Tech Impasse Dooming Downloads [Re: Worf]
    #3207193 - 10/02/04 03:57 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

their fucking evil that's why!!!
there's no money in being good...

but someday someone will start making IPOD kind of players that are better then these hyped up things and open for any kind of use... then they'd be no stopping users of mp3...

i'm happy with my mp3's... i wouldn't mind switching to ogg if i'll start finiding stuff as ogg... it makes no diffrance to me as long as i can play it on anything i want!

--------------------
:mushdance::sanpedro::peyote::mushroom2: :heart: Shr:supershroom::supershroom:mery :heart: :mushroom2::peyote::sanpedro::mushdance:
      Visit & Support Free Spore Ring Earth
      :sun: Please help spread live Salvia Divinorum :sun:

Invisiblepoke smot!
floccinocci floofinator
Male

Re: MP3 Creator Warns Tech Impasse Dooming Downloa *DELETED* [Re: Vvellum]
    #3216509 - 10/04/04 11:16 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Post deleted by poke smot!

Reason for deletion: x

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: MP3 Creator Warns Tech Impasse Dooming Downloa [Re: poke smot!]
    #3216776 - 10/05/04 12:13 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

ogg doesnt have copy restrictions or anything weird like that, really. not sure what you mean by openmg. ogg is opensource.

lossless definitely rules (the only way to go for archival purposes - I love and use FLAC), but a big problem is lack of space - both on the desktop and with portable players. but hell, if you can do it, thats awesome.

ogg & flac & ape = good shit

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale