Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineentiformatie
EvolutionaryMovements
Male
Loc: miami, florida
On a campus server and I'd like to learn stuff :-)
    #3201120 - 09/30/04 08:26 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

So here I am on campus, on a nice fast ethernet network. I've been interested in computer networking and looking at stuff I'm not expected to look at and whatnot. Nothing destructive, I'm a good kid :-)

I was just wondering if anybody could recommend something to get a better look at the network and the computers. I using Windows XP for now, but system admin restricted "view workgroup computers." I don't really know what else I could do to get around the network and get a look at stuff. I figure once I get myself started, I could learn a lot on my own.

--------------------
/opinion
.sean

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAhronZombi
AhronZombi

Loc: NY
Re: On a campus server and I'd like to learn stuff :-) [Re: entiformatie]
    #3201854 - 09/30/04 11:32 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

if its a windows network it can be hacked and you can get access to anything you want. just do some research

--------------------
[url=http://kratom.tcotu.net Low Priced, High Quality Kratom[/url]

Offlineentiformatie
EvolutionaryMovements
Male
Loc: miami, florida
Re: On a campus server and I'd like to learn stuff :-) [Re: AhronZombi]
    #3203020 - 10/01/04 06:27 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

thing is, everything I find tells me how to do some kind of dial-up. I'm already on a network, and I don't know how to really get into it... I'ma check out the school's tech/network website, but if anybody has any other recommendations, that's cool :-)

--------------------
/opinion
.sean

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: On a campus server and I'd like to learn stuff :-) [Re: AhronZombi]
    #3203836 - 10/01/04 01:50 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

if its a windows network it can be hacked and you can get access to anything you want. just do some research

Windows is not necessarily less secure than other operating systems. If it's a well secured network, then it's not necessarily going to be something you can do. Nothing's impossible, but finding a security hole would most likely take a lot of background knowledge.

Reading text files by so called "hackers" isn't really going to teach you anything. All the websites that host them are run by kids who haven't done anything more than send viruses around on IM services, they're filled with text files that haven't been applicable in at least 10 years. There are websites now that discuss up to date security issues, but an intelligent sys admin is reading these sites and keeping his network up to date.

If you want to learn about networking, go buy an old pentium for $30 or whatever, install linux, and try to get it working as a router, play around with that, try making it do various other things.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

InvisibleLe_Canard
Danger Man
 User Gallery

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #3204603 - 10/01/04 07:01 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Be careful there. A lot of schools are cracking down with that stuff and offering some pretty long suspensions...

OfflineGeezer
experimental

Loc: UK
    #3207146 - 10/02/04 05:38 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Can you install programs with your account and if so what restrictions are on the system32 folder?

One time studying i thought i had boosted my account privileges so installed multiple apps and copied over a gig or so of data, encrypted everything thinking everything it was cool with my new level of user access only to find they had put a limit on my login so i couldn't login or access anything because i had to delete files, i couldn't delete them because they where all encrypted. I had to use a default login and password to continue logging in that year. Ooops.

ToiletDuk is right,a few networking manuals/books might be a good place to start.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology