Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBioSore
Drunken' Irish
Substrate and Casings
    #3200759 - 09/30/04 06:35 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Well, I used the PF style to make my jars. However, I got myself some non wide-mouths so I gotta go the casing route. Anyways, as it's my first grow, I didn't end up with many jars. In fact, I ended up with 4x half-pint jars that are half-filled with culturized substrate and another jar that is half-filled with half of the substrate cultured. As I was thinking, the casing layer should end up culturized anyways, so I wasn't thinking that it should matter if I don't have much substrate under the casing layer to begin with. However, I thought I'd check to make sure. Can anyone verify this for me?

--------------------
If you dont like my fire, then dont come around, cause' I'm gonna burn one down.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Substrate and Casings [Re: BioSore]
    #3200888 - 09/30/04 07:07 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Cultured? You mean colonized? The casing layer colonizes but it is not just mycelium that produces mushrooms its nutrients as well. Casings have no nutrients so the more substrate you have the more shrooms.

What I gatherd is you have 4 fully COLONIZED 1/2 pint jars and 1 half pint jar that is 50% colonized? And all of these pint jars are only half filled too? Man you dont have to much there...I'd wait for the fifth jar to become fully colonized and then mix them all together in one casing. You could get two casings out of it MAYBE but they'd be small and I think one would be best.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineBioSore
Drunken' Irish
Re: Substrate and Casings [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3201398 - 09/30/04 09:54 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

yeah, I was only gonna be doing one casing. When I started, I thought that half pints would be a bit. As soon as I case these I'm gonna be starting 12* 1/2 pints of burma. That should be a better grow than the current one. I just hope that my hydrometer gets better. It's electric and I dropped it into a tub of water while I was fixing up the casing layer. It just says EE% now.

Anyways, the 1/2 pint that isn't fully colonized doesn't seem to be moving very well, it's been stuck for a while now. It's got two holes in top, but I think that I'll make one more after a bit.

EDIT: Also, couldn't it be possible to put a small layer of a bit more PF substrate (rye and vermiculite) over the colonized substrate, and then put the casing layer over that? Or would it be entirely to risky?

--------------------
If you dont like my fire, then dont come around, cause' I'm gonna burn one down.

Edited by BioSore (09/30/04 10:01 PM)

OfflineIndiaShroomer
Stranger
Re: Substrate and Casings [Re: BioSore]
    #3203015 - 10/01/04 06:22 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

You would risk contamination, any uncolonized substrate under a casing would almost certainly get hit by a mould, esp. trichoderma.

I have tried this before and it doesnt work, always results in contamination. Even when I practice excellent sterile tech. flowhood et.al.

Wait till the jars colonize completely, only then case.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation