Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
AP uses their time machine
    #3200387 - 09/30/04 04:42 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

This AP article was found in the Boston Globe, but is undoubtedly in many other papers by now. http://www.boston.com/dailynews/274/politics/Bush_and_Kerry_meet_in_first_o:.shtml

Some excerpts:

-- The 90-minute encounter was particularly crucial for Kerry, trailing slightly in the polls and struggling for momentum less than five weeks before the election. The Democratic candidate faced the challenge of presenting himself as a credible commander in chief after a torrent of Republican criticism that he was prone to changing his positions.

-- Thursday night's meeting at the University of Miami was the first of three Bush-Kerry debates over a two-week period. Neither side was underestimating its importance with a TV audience of 30 million to 40 million expected. Almost a third of people surveyed say the debates will be a deciding factor in how they vote.

-- The debates were staged under a rigid set of rules negotiated by the candidates' representatives to limit spontaneity and opportunities for back-and-forth exchanges.

The mainstream media have completely lost their minds in the last few months. What with al-Reuters' continuing shameless boosterism of the Paleos, AP's inability to distinguish between past and future (as well as their inability to know when a crowd is booing or not), and CBS's bizarre insistence on basing news stories on clumsy forgeries and debunked Internet hoax e-mails, the irrelevance of the MSM has never been more apparent.

pinky

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: AP uses their time machine [Re: Phred]
    #3200398 - 09/30/04 04:45 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

"Bloggers for Truth" may be the single most important effect of the whole internet revolution. No longer will these biased fuckwads be able to have a monopoly on "facts"

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#3201813 - 09/30/04 11:25 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

LOL!

Don't bother trying to link to that article any more. The Globe has pulled it.

pinky

--------------------

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
    #3206375 - 10/02/04 12:14 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

How did that even happen?

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: AP uses their time machine [Re: JesusChrist]
    #3206420 - 10/02/04 12:27 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

It's an Associated Press article. What more need be said?

pinky

--------------------

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #3206436 - 10/02/04 12:34 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I don't understand. Was this article printed like this before the debates took place?

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: The Dovers - The Third Eye

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: AP uses their time machine [Re: Learyfan]
    #3206445 - 10/02/04 12:37 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Yes indeedy. It appeared just before noon Eastern Daylight Time.

pinky

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #3206458 - 10/02/04 12:43 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I'm assuming they also wrote up other versions of the article where Bush went all crazy articulate and just smoked Kerry verbally.

Everybody knew what was going to happen at the debate. So why did we even have it?

Lets have some debates where the outcome isn't known beforehand by everyone.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #3206481 - 10/02/04 12:53 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Well, now that shouldn't be.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: The Dovers - The Third Eye

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #3206515 - 10/02/04 01:09 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

The mainstream media have completely lost their minds in the last few months. What with al-Reuters' continuing shameless boosterism of the Paleos, AP's inability to distinguish between past and future (as well as their inability to know when a crowd is booing or not), and CBS's bizarre insistence on basing news stories on clumsy forgeries and debunked Internet hoax e-mails, the irrelevance of the MSM has never been more apparent.

Yup, everyones out to get George Bush arn't they  :rolleyes:

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Offlinephi1618
old hand

#3206794 - 10/02/04 03:07 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

There is nothing in the statements that wasn't already known when the article was written - it uses the past tense for the readers benefit, on the assumption that whoever reads the article will do so after the debates have happened. There is nothing in the text pinky quoted that refers to things that happened at the debate; everything refers to things that were determined before the debate began. There is nothing dishonest in the article, the past tense was used because it's a newspaper article, with the inherent lag that introduces, not a web log, which can be read instantly.

More specifically:

-- The 90-minute encounter was particularly crucial for Kerry, trailing slightly in the polls and struggling for momentum less than five weeks before the election. The Democratic candidate faced the challenge of presenting himself as a credible commander in chief after a torrent of Republican criticism that he was prone to changing his positions.

The debate was predetermined to be 90-minutes; it was believed to be crucial for Kerry before the debate because he was trailing in the polls; Republicans had already critisized him for changing his positions.

-- Thursday night's meeting at the University of Miami was the first of three Bush-Kerry debates over a two-week period. Neither side was underestimating its importance with a TV audience of 30 million to 40 million expected. Almost a third of people surveyed say the debates will be a deciding factor in how they vote.

It was already scheduled to be on thursday at University of Miami; a TV audience was expected, the survey already conducted.

-- The debates were staged under a rigid set of rules negotiated by the candidates' representatives to limit spontaneity and opportunities for back-and-forth exchanges.

The rules were already set before the debate.

The past tense was used because this was a newspaper article, and the writer was saying what he could before the dabate, but using the past tense because he expected his article to be read after the debate.

There are no predictions here, other than the simple one that the debate would go as planned.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: AP uses their time machine [Re: phi1618]
    #3206826 - 10/02/04 03:17 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I'm not saying there was anything inaccurate in the article (although there was -- specifically the fact that they underestimated the viewing audience by half), I was pointing out the incredible lack of quality the MSM (mainstream media) delivers these days. Not only did AP release the article ahead of time, but at least one MSM outlet (the BoGlo) ran with it without even noticing there was anything wrong with it!

It does nothing to change my view of the crapulence of the modern MSM to be hit over the head with such blatant evidence of their incompetence. These guys can't even fact check the arrow of time, let alone the validity of purported National Guard memos.

Yet another recent example is the slew of articles from the MSM crowing over the "fact" that a key provision of the Patriot Act was struck down by a New York judge when in fact nothing of the kind occurred. The reporters were either too lazy or too stupid to use the skills they presumably learned in Journalism school, instead preferring to rely on the ACLU (the folks who brought the suit in the first place) to tell them what happened.

Let me bump the thread dealing with it for you.

pinky

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion