Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJaroon
Stranger
Modify the PF TEK method to accomodate my lifestyle?
    #3198869 - 09/30/04 05:10 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I travel for a living, but when I am home I think I may be able to cultivate. If not, im disappointed! I am usually out of town for 3 weeks. I will be using an aussie strain for this experiment.

So, in order for me to yeild 3 waves using PF TEK method, I have some questions about risky time factors, and possible shortcuts.

Here is my plan:
substrate and innoculate jars/glasses before I leave town (est 6 cakes). Setup everything for incubation in my closet - inside one of my rubbermaid storage containers.

I expect to have this environment to be tested for accuracy before I leave town using a meter, and christmas lights for lighting, and a small fan in the closet to keep air circulating. Preferrably keeping it at a medium temp (70 f or so) so colonization does not occur too quickly, and I can avoid any running electrical items that I need to be there to monitor. After all of this has been setup, I leave town.

When I get home, I expect the cakes to be colonized, and pinning (or close to it). Birth and begin the fruiting using perlite. Now here is where I have some ideas, and want to know if any of these methods have been tested. I am only home for 2 weeks then I must leave for work.. so once I get home I need to get these bad boys fruiting!

Will using smaller containers during substration allow for a faster fruiting process? I understand that there will be less area for the mycelium to grow, hence a faster colonization as well, but under cold temperatures I can safely be gone for 21 days and not ruin my cakes.

Or using 1 pint containers for substration (for a good 21 day time for cultivation), then methodically and in a sterile environment, break them in half for fruiting to occur faster?

Any tips or ways I can modify my method for me to be able to cultivate shroomies with my kinda lifestyle? Any input is appreciated.

If the PF TEK method is not for me, and there is another out there that meets my needs, please tell me, I will research it in depth and not waste anyones time!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineaussieone
shroominator
 User Gallery

Loc: QLD, Australia
Re: Modify the PF TEK method to accomodate my lifestyle? [Re: Jaroon]
    #3198954 - 09/30/04 06:31 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

21days for smaller container is probably to long to let it colonize, get bigger jars, so you can come home and it's just about to pin, + you get more mushrooms, everything else you said sounds fine :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineJaroon
Stranger
Re: Modify the PF TEK method to accomodate my lifestyle? [Re: aussieone]
    #3198961 - 09/30/04 06:43 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for the input, yet it brings up another question, which I am sure I know the answer to.

Is the size of the cake a factor in the process of fruiting? If so, as stated above, is it proven you can break a cake in 2-3 parts to help speed up the fruiting process? Done so in a sterile environment of course...

Offlineaussieone
shroominator
 User Gallery

Loc: QLD, Australia
    #3198976 - 09/30/04 06:56 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

you would get a bigger flush if you split the cake in 3, im not sure about speeding up the process

--------------------

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BurgerTime, Space Invaders
Trusted Cultivator
    #3199337 - 09/30/04 11:28 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Jaroon said:
I travel for a living, but when I am home I think I may be able to cultivate. If not, im disappointed! I am usually out of town for 3 weeks. I will be using an aussie strain for this experiment.

So, in order for me to yeild 3 waves using PF TEK method, I have some questions about risky time factors, and possible shortcuts.

Here is my plan:
substrate and innoculate jars/glasses before I leave town (est 6 cakes). Setup everything for incubation in my closet - inside one of my rubbermaid storage containers.

I expect to have this environment to be tested for accuracy before I leave town using a meter, and christmas lights for lighting, and a small fan in the closet to keep air circulating. Preferrably keeping it at a medium temp (70 f or so) so colonization does not occur too quickly, and I can avoid any running electrical items that I need to be there to monitor. After all of this has been setup, I leave town.

@70F you'll be waiting longer than 3 weeks for your jars to colonize....set them on the top/back of the fridge...should speed things up a little...

--------------------

Quote:

pftek said:Impossible to clean everything right now. Maybe in a week.

ROTHBURY

:pm:

OfflineInnernaut
MycologicalNetworkTechnician

#3199372 - 09/30/04 11:46 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

it all breaks down to moisture and surface area....

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Modify the PF TEK method to accomodate my lifestyle? [Re: Innernaut]
    #3200526 - 09/30/04 05:29 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I don't think your plan will work well. 3 weeks is a long time at a time to deal with cakes and different sections. Some parts will require more time, some less but it will change every time and no one can predict it. But pretty much all of the numbers you worked out I can see being incorrect. Not to mention christmas lights during incubation? You shouldnt be using light during incubation unless your growing invitro which if I was you, I'd do.

I wouldnt use cakes though (verm all over them hard to clean) I'd use rye (look for Magash's post entitled "Rye" and follow the tek) plus youll get more shrooms. If you do this you make up the rye jars and knock them up. They should be kept in 83*F, no more..if you use less it will take more time. They should recieve light while incubating (christmas lights aren't the best but should work ok especially for invitro) but it needs to be on a timer (12/12). When you get home in 3 weeks the quart jars should be colonized if kept at 83 degrees (you wont be there to shake them or watch for contams so hopefully your crop wont be all dead cause you werent there to isolate contams and hopefully they'll be colonized even though you didnt shake them, they might not be at 70* though) you then just drop the temp to 70degrees and leave them in the jar getting the 12/12 light cycle until mushrooms have grown and their caps are fully open. Then you open the jar and remove the grain and shrooms. You can do many quart jars this way and wont have to monitor air exhange or humidity. You could leave the jars for at 70 degrees the whole time holwever it will take slightly longer. I'd say after two trips though you could probably (especially if incubated at 80-86 degrees) have your harvest off all the jars you do (do like 20 quarts at a time) after 2 business trips (3 weeks for one trip, 2 weeks home then 3 weeks for another trip, get home and harvest) and would probably yeild 0-14 grams dried per quart.

If you use the PF Tek and do invitro it could take considerably longer (instead of 8 weeks, more like 12-16) if you don't have those 80* during colonization, and would still probably take a bit longer even if you do. PF Jar would get yeild you probably 0-5 grams per half pint.

If you decide to go about your method casing them especially going about it the way you are with a very rigged setup I would imagine you would have your results after 8 weeks as well but I feel your results would be alot of wasted time and money and no shrooms (or very few) to show for it. Good luck though!

Edit:
I'm not even sure what your trying to do after looking back over it. WTF is substration anyway? There is no substration process and I don't know what your refering to. Does this mean your casing them? I thought so but now you mention cakes like they're staying cakes. This would work better then casing them but I still think you'd be better off going invitro so you dont really have to do anything to them to switch the between incubation and fruiting (other then change the temps from 80 to 70 which can be done if the jars are almost done when you come back or right before you leave if they finish in the two weeks your home). Not to mention the jars will better protect your mushrooms from rotting since they'll probably be mature when you go on your second business trip for a few weeks before your home to pick them..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Edited by scatmanrav (09/30/04 05:37 PM)

OfflineJaroon
Stranger
Re: Modify the PF TEK method to accomodate my lifestyle? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3200655 - 09/30/04 06:05 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Onlinescatmanrav: Thank you for the serious input and help, I am going to change my method and find a safe way to keep my rye jars at 83 deg.

I owe all of my current knowledge to posts from folks like you (the expiremental side I will blame on my newbiness)!

When I get home from this trip, I will have most of the necessary tools to get started, and now I cant wait! Its exciting just thinkin about it, even higher yields thanks to your suggestion!

I am going to spend alot of time following the rules and avoid contaminating, if there are any more tips / loopholes to this situation, please let me know!

OfflineJaroon
Stranger
    #3200694 - 09/30/04 06:13 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I keep re-reading my methods and your suggestions and find invitro to be my only solution. Thanks for the great idea, and pointing out the flaws in my plan (saved me time, money, and agony)!

The only loophole left for me is finding a safe heating source, or spot while I am gone (im sure I will find something on google)

wish me luck!

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BurgerTime, Space Invaders
Trusted Cultivator
    #3200865 - 09/30/04 07:01 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

ivitro rye/w eq might be the way to go...

--------------------

Quote:

pftek said:Impossible to clean everything right now. Maybe in a week.

ROTHBURY

:pm:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation