Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineViaggio
ChemicalConsumer

Uh...spirituality?
    #3196927 - 09/29/04 08:38 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Suppose a person is never exposed to any spiritual ideas during their up-bringing. I'm not sure that's possible, but let's try and imagine for fun anyway. I wonder what sort of spiritual considerations, if any, they'd develop...ideas?
Uh...spirituality?
You may choose many
A) None?
2) Something vague and relatively unimportant?
C) Something grand and fantastical (such as the Greek pantheon)?
4) Uh...your mom?
E) Other?

Votes accepted from (09/29/04 02:00 AM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

--------------------
"...yet another in a long series of diversions an attempt to avoid responsibility."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinetnecseda
birther to none
Re: Uh...spirituality? [Re: Viaggio]
    #3196968 - 09/29/04 08:48 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

i chose your mom because i think of it as mother takes care of you and births you.............?more choices are needed

OfflineViaggio
ChemicalConsumer

Re: Uh...spirituality? [Re: tnecseda]
    #3197066 - 09/29/04 09:08 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

E) Other? is an option. Just give us a brief description of what might develop.

--------------------
"...yet another in a long series of diversions an attempt to avoid responsibility."

Offlinedeff
lovelightbliss
 User Gallery

Loc: all this Flag
    #3197104 - 09/29/04 09:17 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I chose other, as I think it is entirely dependant on who this person is, as well as environmental factors.

Sure they may not have been introduced to spirituality, but if they were introduced to something that began their own self questioning phase, they could very well end up their own spiritual master. Of course, it could very easily go the other way, and they could be kept in the dark their whole life.

To be honest, I wasn't raised in a spiritual or religious environment, and yet I think this aided in my own personal spiritual development. Those who are conditioned into the dogmas of religions have to first step outside of it, which can be a hard task when they are bought out with such notions as "sins", "hell", "heaven" ect..

For me however, I started on a blank page and therefore it was easy for the first step of development, which is realizing your own illusions and conditioned beliefs. From there, with the aid of deep thought, hallucinogenic plants/drugs, and meditation - I've begun my own spiritual "journey" so to speak.

But I think people, or atleast most people, need some sort of trigger to start on philosophical thinking/discovery. For many it's realizing how much they've been lied to by "wiser" ones, and often this is through the aid of visionary experiences (including but not limited to drugs). Also, as one matures, most naturally begin to question this framework of existence, or atleast - most of the people I associate with have.

--------------------

Offlinethe_phoenix
Stranger

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    #3197245 - 09/29/04 09:42 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I also picked "other", since it greatly depends on one's environment. Cavemen, not knowing what stars were or how fire worked, were forced to probe the depths of spiritual thinking for answers. Today, however, being blessed (or cursed?) with a neatly organized classification and theoretical structure of the material world based on scientific laws, and and equally well organized view of metaphysical reality based on widely-accepted and agreed-upon assumptions, we don't think to question our surroundings. The vastness of our knowledge, in other words, had let to our mental and spiritual lethargy.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology