Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetheocean06
Yeah, I've donefour already...

Debunking the poppy seed rumor?
    #3196196 - 09/29/04 03:24 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Ok, there is a rumor that the poppy seeds you buy at your local grocery store are somehow grown so they have less alkaloids then the opium poppy seeds you would buy from an ethno site.

On www.erowid.org it says that this is true:

http://www.erowid.org/plants/poppy/poppy_law.shtml

"...The gray-blue poppy seeds sold in virtually every grocery store in the US contain low levels of opiates (not psychoactive levels)..."

But in the Ethno Garden FAQ it says it is false:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...;o=&fpart=1

"On the plus side, grocery store poppy seeds, bought in the cute little glass bottles in the spice section, are probably from some of the worlds best opium cultivars. The seeds are a bit expensive (a bottle costs three or four dollars and contains the same amount of seed you can pour out of a half dozen good-sized heads!), but they probably came from the poppy fields of Tasmania"

--------------------

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Re: Debunking the poppy seed rumor? [Re: theocean06] * 1
    #3196368 - 09/29/04 04:08 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I think the erowid refrence is talking about the alkaloid content of the actual seeds, and our FAQ is talking about the matured pods that grew from these grocery store bought seeds.

Offlinetheocean06

Re: Debunking the poppy seed rumor? [Re: Gumby]
    #3196418 - 09/29/04 04:28 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Are you 100% about that?  I'm not doubting your word, I just don't want to find out that erowid was talking about the poppy pods and not the seeds, and wasting a summer growing the plants and finding out there is no reward :frown:

--------------------

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
Re: Debunking the poppy seed rumor? [Re: Gumby]
    #3196576 - 09/29/04 05:13 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Yea, thats how I comprehend it.

I think that erowid is just saying that there is not too much present in the seeds themselves.

Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
Loc: Samsara
Re: Debunking the poppy seed rumor? [Re: theocean06]
    #3196643 - 09/29/04 05:33 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Maybe you should ask Erowid and see what they say. It is worth a shot.

--------------------
Our quest for discovery fuels our creativity in all fields, not just science. If we reached the end of the line, the human spirit would shrivel and die. But I don't think we will ever stand still: we shall increase in complexity, if not in depth, and shall always be the center on an expanding horizon of possibilities.
-Stephen Hawking

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
    #3196737 - 09/29/04 05:53 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

There are some seeds grown from a special strain that does not contain opium or opiate alkaloids. It contains instead, thebaine which can be converted into chemicals like oxycontin percoset and other things by the drug companies. Many of the seeds in the store will be of an opiate type but some will be of this new type which is useless for what you want. There is no way of knowing which it is by looking at the bottle or the seeds themselves. If you buy from a known ethnogen vendor, you will get the real thing for sure.

I have a bunch of hen's and chicks poppy seeds and a few other varieties if anyone wants to swap for them. The real thing.

Stoney

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #3196778 - 09/29/04 06:02 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

You can buy Papaver somniferam seeds at any bar and Restaurant Supply firm in most major US cities. They are called Dutch Bpue and are ontreated seeds. Real COncepts along with me int he 1970s and 1980s sold thousands of grams of them through an ad in high Times for many years.

They use to be $6.00 for a three pound can or so. Maybe it was a two pound and they are not ilelgtal andwhere int he world and they are not treated. Tell them you use o thme for poppy cakes or for Kaiser rolls.

mj

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Re: Debunking the poppy seed rumor? [Re: Stonehenge]
    #3196796 - 09/29/04 06:04 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I would get mad if I were stuck with one of those strains...
I guess if i grow again, I will use ones from an ethno vendor.

Offlineliveby
Wasted For Time
 User Gallery

#3196836 - 09/29/04 06:16 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

i live in sydney , i could pop on a boat to tazzy for $200 and be there in da morning ,gees im lucky!

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
    #3197567 - 09/29/04 09:05 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Is the FAQ fucked up for you? Like in some places does it have %#934 or whatever inplace of something that should be like a quote? It is for me.

Anyway, that quote you have there is from Jim Hogshire's Opium for the Masses, so if you inquire with erowid please inform them that Jim Hogshire's Opium for the Masses states this and it conflicts with what erowid has posted.

On the other hand, i've always interpretted the low alkaloid content to refer to mature pods once grown and not in reference to the seeds themselves. But it is possible to interpret it the other way too. Bbut I thought it was always standard for the seeds of all opium strains to have low alkaloid content in the actual seeds, of course with some fluctuations, but in general low percentage in seeds themselves. However I think when people were referring to the Thompson Strain (the supposed variety that's grown for low content and sold for restaurant seed) when saying the seeds were low content for food grade. However I think it's just bullshit and a rumor.

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
    #3197667 - 09/29/04 09:26 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Here are some that I grew from grocery store seed.

These were the only ones that made it to the flowering stage. I never got to test them for potency(I mean, come on, look at them) but they sure weren't much for a large yield. Many factors could have played a part in my failure so I can only offer this example for you to take as you please.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan
Re: Debunking the poppy seed rumor? [Re: Ekstaza]
    #3198253 - 09/29/04 11:30 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

all you gotta do is throw some dung/straw in a hole and dump potting soil in, give it a stir, spread it, and sprinkle the seeds in april. in a place with direct sunlight, youll have cabages the size of a tire that pop up as many as 10 large ass pods each.

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Re: Debunking the poppy seed rumor? [Re: Ekstaza]
    #3198359 - 09/30/04 12:01 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Thats a interesting pic there Ekstaza,

I think I am gonna try some giganthemums next time.

Offlinetheocean06

Re: Debunking the poppy seed rumor? [Re: neuro]
    #3199712 - 09/30/04 11:26 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

neuro said:
Is the FAQ fucked up for you? Like in some places does it have %#934 or whatever inplace of something that should be like a quote? It is for me.

The reason that happens is because when you type something in, let's say, Microsoft Word, the ' and " are of a different format or something I guess (not very computer smart) and so they show up as *&984 or similar to that. So to get rid of those things you must edit the post, and insert " and ' to it where the *%947 are.

As to the poppy rumor, I guess I will contact erowid to see what's up.

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Debunking the poppy seed rumor? [Re: Mitchnast]
    #3200448 - 09/30/04 02:57 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

OR you can go to Erowid and read my Opium Poppy Cultivation book. The first one on the market in the 1970s.

mj

Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
Loc: Samsara
Re: Debunking the poppy seed rumor? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #3201041 - 09/30/04 06:01 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

mjshroomer said:
Maybe it was a two pound and they are not ilelgtal andwhere int he world and they are not treated. Tell them you use o thme for poppy cakes or for Kaiser rolls.

mj

I forgot where it was from,but I read an article about a guy who way running a bakery in some Middle Eastern or Asian country. He had some poppy seeds shipped in for innocent purposes, but were seized for their alkaloid content (however small it is) and were considered illegal. Not a whole lot to do with the subject at had, but oh well.

--------------------
Our quest for discovery fuels our creativity in all fields, not just science. If we reached the end of the line, the human spirit would shrivel and die. But I don't think we will ever stand still: we shall increase in complexity, if not in depth, and shall always be the center on an expanding horizon of possibilities.
-Stephen Hawking

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Re: Debunking the poppy seed rumor? [Re: mr_minds_eye]
    #3201227 - 09/30/04 06:59 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Offlinerocknliam
happy willowdweller
 User Gallery

#3201423 - 09/30/04 08:01 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Oh i wish i had a digital camera, i have succesfully cultivated poppies from store bought seeds and they turned out fine. I have about three big pods on there now and about 6 or so just waiting to flower. I havent tried any opium from them as of yet, and am not sure if i ever will, but if i do i will tell you. A friend of mine tried some opium that i lanced from an early pod (came about 6 weeks before any of the others) and said that he could feel somthing, but this was a very small ammount of opium and could have been placebo.

Anonymous

Re: Debunking the poppy seed rumor? [Re: rocknliam]
    #3201473 - 09/30/04 08:13 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

checkout Heaven's stairway montreal/canadian site. i went to their store on monk street bought about 1500 poppy seeds for 7 bucks canadian and grew em out. its worth the extra effort to ensure that you get a quality product we're talking 7 bucks here. i got the gargantua strain as well as the hens and chics strain for 7 bucks each.

on a side note, anyone living in the northeast USA should make a pilgramage to heaven's stairway shop on monk street in montreal. they sell cannabis, poppy, and peyote seeds. as well as prints and syringes with kits. its a head shop and a hydroshop next store. the guy who runs it name's is poppy! also, his assistant sells peyote buttons outta his apartment. just check in with him at the shop on monk street.

InvisiblePsilostylin
Captain Save Em'
Loc: New Orleans!
Re: Debunking the poppy seed rumor? [Re: ]
    #3202317 - 10/01/04 12:04 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

the best place to get poppy seeds is from an ethno store/site...that way you'll be sure of quality, germ rate and you'll have a selection. grocery poppy seeds will grow. though i find that the germ rate isn't all that high. i use grocery seeds for geurilla grows and ethno seeds for a home garden. it's fun to just sprinkle a few seeds here and there all over town. most of the time i end up forgetting where i threw down the seeds but all in all it's fun. :sun:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds