Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Anyone ever trying using self-closing?
    #3196823 - 09/29/04 06:12 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Has anyone ever tried a self closing hole method on something like a jar of liquid myc or spore water? I know it would probably be easier to store in syringes but I can not find any place local that sells those and don't want to waste S&H money ordering them online. With a self closing hole you wouldn't ever have to worry about any contaims getting in. I am not sure what the ones in grow bags are made out of, but the ones used on meds in the medical field are basically just rubber stoppers. With this you poke a hole in it, then when you stick the needle in it, it fits tight around the needle. So when you go to pull it out the pressure from around the edges push the hole back together closing the bottom part of it before you reach the top and pull the needle out. This would be something you could make for next to nothing and if it saves even only a few jars or allows your liquid to last longer it is well worth it. As for the jars test tubes could be used. They may not hold alot but neither does a syringe and they are much easier to find. All you have to do is go out and buy a good cigar and you get one for free. Or you could drill a hole in a normal lid so the stopper fits tightly.

Any ideas on if this is a good idea? or a good place to get syringes?

And those test tubes are great for ager to if you can't find dishes.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFirstAvailable
enthusiast
 User Gallery

Re: Anyone ever trying using self-closing? [Re: MadHatR]
    #3196954 - 09/29/04 06:45 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

good idea, but dont use rubber stoppers. That would be a grat way to bend and ruin a perfectly good needle.

Just drill a hole in your lid.
cover with silicone caulk
let dry
celebrate

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: Anyone ever trying using self-closing? [Re: FirstAvailable]
    #3197182 - 09/29/04 07:33 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

That depends on the type of rubber, a good soft rubber will have enough give to not bend the needle while still guiding the needle through it. I figured it has been trusted to be used for meds, some which use very thin needles, for years it should work on this. I think they also use some kinda wire mesh system on some which is probably close to what the grow bags use. I don't see the need though to buy one to find out what it is when Home Depot has tons of stoppers for cheap and I have plenty of test tubes from shooters and cigars just collecting dust.

Offlinedistortion
 User Gallery
Loc: Murder Mitten Flag
    #3197447 - 09/29/04 08:31 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

does anyone have a brand name of silicon that works well ?  :crazy:

--------------------
Think for Yourself. Question Authority.

-Timothy Leary

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3197466 - 09/29/04 08:35 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

No, not a rubber stopper. It's a different thing use it the medical field. It's a thin rubber membrane. A stopper would be bad and would ruin your needle but any bottle with this thin rubber membrain can be used well. This is the same thing grow bags use. Silicone caulk I have heard of working but I tried two kinds of silicone and it just punched a hole in it. Now I just use tyvek and tape and peel the tape back. Works ok.

I have tons of syringes but its not so good to store in them because they can clog however if your looking for a cheap syringe place (shipping isn't squat) check out http://ryvmed.com/syringesneedles.aspx Get the 20 guage needles not the 21 guage or smaller (higher number). Get the longer 1.5" needle if you are doing PF Tek too.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlineatomic1
enthusiast
Male

Loc: Appalachia
    #3197482 - 09/29/04 08:40 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

MicronMagick (former sponsor) used to sell plastic jar lids w/those rubber selfsealing injection sites. I saw the same rubber stoppers on some test tubes at the doctor last week. I have a few and they work well. You could probably do a google search and find a distributor somehwere.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #3197870 - 09/29/04 10:15 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

6T (Mycota) was all over that years ago You should checkout some of his jars!!! He was a helleva innovator!

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: Anyone ever trying using self-closing? [Re: hyphae]
    #3198271 - 09/29/04 11:35 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Wow, at those prices I guess I will have to break my spend cash only at stores out of state while driving a rented car with no plates and wearing a Halloween mask so it's not traceable rule. :smile:

I to have had no luck with Silicone, had some luck using weatherstripping because of how pours it is, but I usually just stick with tyvek and a band-aid.

I have seen the membrane type you are talking about on a number of meds, but have also seen another type that looks like a stopper. I would order one to see what is so special about it or what it is made of but all the places I have found that sells them require a order of like 5000 of them.

Not really wanting to invest any real money into it, or get a store-bought one. Was hoping to make something out of common household items. Kinda miss the fun I had building all the stuff when I started. What I have now works fine. Not much modding out left that I can do or things to build other than a flow hood and that is a bit costly. Must fulfill that need to redesign a better mousetrap. :smile:

Offlineatomic1
enthusiast
Male

Loc: Appalachia
    #3199006 - 09/30/04 05:26 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Hey here's those lids i was talking about. I think several people had some problems with micronmagic but he did get my stuff to me, eventually. Aside from that those are really handy lids.
/www.micronmagick.com/index.cfm?fuseAction=Catalog.Catalog&CategoryID=001&count=1www.micronmagick.com/index.cfm?fuseAction=Catalog.Catalog&CategoryID=001&count=(no spamming non-vendors)

I'm going to call the doctor's office and ask where they order those rubber stoppers from. They're the exact same ones micron uses. I'll let you know.

Edited by george castanza (09/30/04 09:35 AM)

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: Anyone ever trying using self-closing? [Re: atomic1]
    #3199034 - 09/30/04 06:04 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

SWEET, thank you for the quick responce. I do believe I will try them out. Pretty trusted site, right? I always love adding new tools to my collection. If your going to do something, do it right....Oh to have my own lab... :smile:

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #3199417 - 09/30/04 10:01 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Polyfil also works great as a self healing injection port! :wink:

Offlineforevrgrounded98
Stranger

Re: Anyone ever trying using self-closing? [Re: hyphae]
    #3199597 - 09/30/04 11:00 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I just made my own, go to walmart and buy red RTV silicone in the automotive section and cover over a single 1/4 in hole drilled in the top of your metal lid. This next step is important to remember....you need to put your metal lid on upside down before you screw the band on because if you dont, when you pressure cook the jars they will create a vaccum inside the jar and when you stick a syringe in it'll suck the whole fuckin syringe dry....bad news.......I can take a picture or two of the lids if that helps anyone out.
-matt

--------------------
"If I don't see ya before the end of this one, I'll meet ya in the next one and don't be late" - Jimi Hendrix

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom