Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1

Loc: Washington State
Noobs first post
    #3196341 - 09/29/04 05:59 PM (12 years, 25 days ago)

Hello to all. I just discovered this site yesterday after doing a google search on shroom identification and information. I have been reading the basic FAQ's and getting a feel for the organisation of the Forums. I'm really impressed with the feel this community puts forth and I hope that over time I can contribute to its value and health.

I am new to shroom identification and have always relied on trusted friends to supply the fruit. My experiences are limited to cubencis and liberty caps, neither very extensive. I am lucky to have alot of free time on my hands at present and I live in the Washington State, so when I stumbled on some mushrooms the other day I realised tis the season, and have set out to learn a few things in order to possibly harvest some wild "edibles".

There are a few online things I haven't found yet in the FAQ's and post searches that I'm hoping someone can point me too.

Is there a step by step identification primer, or something similar, that walks you through how to identify what kind of fungus you are looking at?

Being ignorant, how can I most quickly narrow down what family of shroom I am looking at. Is there an "audobon like" set of pictures one can use to narrow down the process? I am going to the library here in a little bit, but I'm kind of expecting that most of the material will be checked out right now.

I found the items in the picture below just by chance this morning. They were located up in the hills near Olympia WA in an area that is very wet most of the time right now, but not yet freezing at night. They were growing in patches in semi deep green/yellow grass. It was a totally accidental find - I actually ended up stranded in my car at this location all night until somebody could come up with a needed equipment. I was stretching my arms and yawning in the morning mist when I looked down and the whole patch was right at my feet exactly where I had parked. I briefly searched the surrounding area for other patches but only found the occasional single fruit here and there. So maybe I got lucky - prolly not though.

These look like what I recall eating as LC's in the past, but I of course cannot rely on my memory as to any sort of ID. I am still trying to get the hang of taking a good picture with my dig cam - so I can probably improve the quality if these look like they might be the real thing. Thought this might be good enough to start with.

Any info and comments are greatly appreciated.

Be Well.....

The items are actually washed out a bit colorwise in this photo - they are a good deal "browner" in reality:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Yeah, I've donefour already...

Re: Noobs first post [Re: SpiritualAtheist]
    #3196378 - 09/29/04 06:12 PM (12 years, 25 days ago)

I'm sorry I can't help you, but I'm just letting you know that you would probably get more answers about the mushrooms in the "Mushroom Hunting" forum.

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

Loc: Washington State
Re: Noobs first post [Re: theocean06]
    #3196450 - 09/29/04 06:39 PM (12 years, 25 days ago)

Thank you -- I will move that part of the post there

Wonder and awe at the universe is a product of observation and analysis. Fear and uncertainty a product of relying on comfortable beliefs.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience