Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
I think I might have a drinking problem.
    #3163472 - 09/22/04 02:07 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I don't drink too often (maybe once or sometimes twice a week), but the amount I find myself drinking is troubling. I don't just stop at five or six drinks, but I usually drink around 750ml of liquor when I do drink. That in and of itself doesn't concern me, but what concerns me is how much it takes to get me drunk. I drink that much and I never get completely out of it. Tonight I drank a liter of vodka in less than four hours and I barely feel like I have a buzz. Do ya'll think I have a problem and if so what should I do about it? I have already given up all drugs other than about one mushroom trip every two months and that wasn't hard, but since I quit smoking marijuana (I never drank while I was smoking pot) I find myself drinking more and it concerns me. I am doing well in school and I am getting in shape, but I'm concerned about the damage I may be doing to my body. Any advice?

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

Re: I think I might have a drinking problem. [Re: z@z.com]
    #3163512 - 09/22/04 02:25 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

can you stop drinking for a while?

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

OfflineUncleMike
Visionary
Male

Loc: S.W. Virginia
    #3163913 - 09/22/04 08:14 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

The amount it takes to get someone drunk isn't what makes drinking a problem. The problem begins when you feel you can't have fun unless your drinking or you can face today until you have your first drink. When you find yourself faced with these problems then you can start to worry that you have a problem.

Each person's ability to drink without getting drunk is different. You are probably drunk and don't even realize it. You need to be careful for if you can drink a lot then you may one day get alchol posioning and you can die from this.

--------------------
Live each day like it will be your last, tomorrow my never come.
SporeSmart

Offlinecosmicray
Emaho!

#3164126 - 09/22/04 10:09 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Your liver can be trashed in a relatively short period of time, depending on your genetics.  I'm probably overly sensitive to this as a friend of mine just got out of the hospital after puking blood, swelling in his stomach and feet, disorientation.  They haven't done a liver biopsy yet, but it looks like cirhossis.  He's fucked.

You can get by without symptoms with about a quarter of your liver functioning.  If you keep binging like you described for as little as a few years, you might get fucked too.  Again, genetics play a big part.  Webmd and all those have lots of info on it.

It's freaked me the hell out (maybe you can tell :frown: )

Try stopping for a while.  Save money, calories, liver cells and see what it's like.

--------------------
"If not you, who? And if not now, when?"

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Re: I think I might have a drinking problem. [Re: felix]
    #3164336 - 09/22/04 11:08 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

felix said:
can you stop drinking for a while?

Yes, but once I have one or two drinks its all over. I guess I should just quit drinking at all as I don't want to fuck up my liver. That is my main concern I suppose.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
    #3172908 - 09/23/04 10:57 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Do you have any reason for quitting pot?

If not, I'd say smoke after your first couple of drinks, you'll feel how drunk you are......

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

OnlinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
    #3173143 - 09/23/04 11:51 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I'm a regular drinker.. usually drinking daily. 
At my worst, I was drinking 5-25 drinks daily.  :crazy:
Today, I drink 1-6 drinks daily. :laugh:

I've never experienced lasting physical ill effect from drinking, of course, it can be a bit hard to wake up some mornings.. :smirk:

My point is, everyone is different, and if you are truly concerned about the health of your liver I would suggest you consult a doctor about your situation, and going even further, you could even consider testing your liver's health (by a doctor, of course).

At any rate, the amount of alcohol you drink does sound like very high volume.. however if the effects are not, then perhaps your body was made to handle it?  Please note, that is a big perhaps! :wink:

Skikid has some advice you may find helpful as well.  Just try tokin' a bit after your first few drinks and it may curb your thirst for the booze.. then again, it may not - but hell, it's worth a shot!  Smoking after having drunk a bit always exponentiates the experience for me :yesnod:

Take care :sun:

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Offlineagr8fulchick
Feed Your Head!

Loc: Stranded in Iowa
Re: I think I might have a drinking problem. [Re: UncleMike]
    #3174096 - 09/24/04 08:28 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

UncleMike is right, it takes a different amount of alcohol to get everyone trashed. Not only does your height/weight/fat content play in to that, but genetics have a big role. Holding your alcohol very very well has nothing to do with you being an alcoholic. It's the attitude problem, not the amount you drink.

You're just a very expensive date :smile:

OfflineMonsterMash
Mr dude
Loc: Vansterdam, BC
    #3176511 - 09/24/04 07:15 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Smoke pot instead of drinking .. Pot reduces your desire for boose. Never seen any health effects from smoking lil Mary Jane.

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: I think I might have a drinking problem. [Re: MonsterMash]
    #3176551 - 09/24/04 07:25 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

never seen any health effects? haha. although they are much less than alcohol. there are, and you need to be aware of them. smoking anything will have its consequences.

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

OfflineMonsterMash
Mr dude
Loc: Vansterdam, BC
reply [Re: Locus]
    #3176641 - 09/24/04 07:58 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Name some "consequences" with smoking marijuana. Im not talking smoking pot and tabacco .. tabacco is horrible. But marijuana has actually proven to have any tumor effects. As well as many other benificial effects. The only thing that comes to my mind is some people will become lazy or distracted when they smoke too much daily.. But there are also others who are insanely productive and pro active when using large amounts of pot. Just a matter of knowing yourself.

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: reply [Re: MonsterMash]
    #3176678 - 09/24/04 08:14 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

haha, im not going to waste my time educating you. this is like common sense. i'll tell you one obvious thing, you smoke weed and its going to harm your lungs. im not going to debate shit with you so this is all i'll say. and weed isnt that bad anyway. im not against it in any way either. im just saying you should at least know the harmful things that are possible with it. we've already discussed this in threads before. peace.

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Re: I think I might have a drinking problem. [Re: Skikid16]
    #3177208 - 09/24/04 10:39 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Skikid16 said:
Do you have any reason for quitting pot?

I had a reason for quitting pot. I promised my parents I would stop smoking it when I moved back in with them to finish school. So smoking is not an option. I guess I'll just try to cut back my drinking to once a month or so. The problem I always have isn't that I crave alcohol, but once I have one drink I can't seem to stop.

--------------------

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #3177335 - 09/24/04 11:04 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Good for you though.. keeping that promise. Yeah, I would say you have a problem if you cant stop once you start. At least that's better than needing to drink all the time though. But it's still a problem. Not sure though how to help.. I'll try to think of something.

--------------------

InvisibleLand_Crab
NeuroticPsychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: U.S.
    #3193964 - 09/29/04 12:16 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Is there a history of alcoholism in your family? That will DRASTICALLY increase your chances of being an alcoholic. I can relate to your situation. My father's what you would call a "functional alcoholic", meaning he's been drinking every night for decades, but his problem isn't apparent unless you're in the family.

My brother was a massive alcoholic (and drug-addict). He was drunk and on coke when he crashed his car doing 110 miles an hour, crushing his skull and killing him. (I'm not trying to use "scare tactics" - this happened 6 months ago.) I am an alcoholic and a drug-addict. I have been able to stop drinking for extended periods of time, but, as you mentioned, it's easier to not do it at all than to try to stop. Once I get going, I inevitably start drinking more and more often. That is part of the nature of alcohol - it's disinhibiting.

Everything depends on your perception of the seriousness of your problem. If you decide that this is REALLY something you need to eliminate, or at least manage, then you are more than likely to succeed. One method I used was saying: "OK, I'm going to try not drinking for 3 weeks." then I would cross out each day that I didn't drink on a calendar. When I was drinking, I wrote down how many drinks I had each day. This exact system may not work for you, but I can guarantee you that self-observation will be helpful.

And the more people you can talk to to help you understand your problem, the better.

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Re: I think I might have a drinking problem. [Re: Land_Crab]
    #3194054 - 09/29/04 12:33 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the advice. I have no history of alcoholism in the family that I know of, but my family is very private and I may not know if someone had a problem.

--------------------

Invisiblebaztack8
Re: I think I might have a drinking problem. [Re: UncleMike]
    #3198218 - 09/29/04 11:25 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

No what makes drinking a problem is not letting your liver recover from the damage and stress you put on it. Which is probably the biggest reason why I only get drunk like 6 times a year.

Quote:

UncleMike said:
The amount it takes to get someone drunk isn't what makes drinking a problem. The problem begins when you feel you can't have fun unless your drinking or you can face today until you have your first drink. When you find yourself faced with these problems then you can start to worry that you have a problem.

Each person's ability to drink without getting drunk is different. You are probably drunk and don't even realize it. You need to be careful for if you can drink a lot then you may one day get alchol posioning and you can die from this.

InvisibleLand_Crab
NeuroticPsychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: U.S.
    #3202632 - 10/01/04 01:19 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Well, you're already in better shape if there isn't a pattern of alcoholism in your family. (Though, like you said, you're not totally sure) You can always ask your family members about this sort of stuff, right?

Oh, and baztack - I understand your point, but I am going to have to disagree with it slightly. Liver damage is typically not something tangible, at least for a young person - the same way lung damage may not be tangible for a smoker. What is tangible is the effect the alcohol has on your mind, and your functioning.

Yes, alcohol is unhealthy, has a lot of empty calories, etc... but that didn't stop me from choking down liters of vodka for months at a time. It's not as if my body was "falling apart". Actually, I maintained a rigorous exercise routine throughout the worst of my alcoholism - until one day, I was doing some intense hiking with a screaming hangover, feeling proud of myself for being able to accomplish this, then thought: "Wait a minute, I don't have to be hungover!" That's when the worst of my drinking stopped.

If you drink alcohol regularly, and to excess, it also tends to have a cumulative effect - it mucks up the proper regulation of dopamine levels in your brain, which will typically lead you to very slowly feel worse and worse as you continue to drink.

Alcohol is also very insidious, I feel, because one doesn't necessarily "hit bottom" the same way one does with, say, cocaine. Hitting bottom with cocaine is fairly self-evident when, for the 20th day in a row, you are up at 11 a.m. squirting bloody chunks out of your nose and feeling worse than the walking undead. Unless you're a binge-drinker, the so-called "bottom" may take a lot time to appear.

Anyways, maybe I'm making this more of a problem than it needs to be. You started off by saying that you drink too much during your 1-2 drinking sessions per week - which is a good sign that you are capable of monitoring yourself. At least keep that in mind.

Best wishes!
- J.

Edited by Land_Crab (10/01/04 01:34 AM)

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Re: I think I might have a drinking problem. [Re: Land_Crab]
    #3205520 - 10/02/04 12:13 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for all the support. I have decided to give up liquor for the time being. I haven't had a drink since this post and I feel the same, but I am less worried about my liver. I'm going out with some old friends this coming weekend to a bar and I'm going to just drink beer (I can't drink more than 4 beers without feeling bad). We'll see how it goes.

--------------------

Offlinesoylent_green
The greatEnitsuj
Female

Loc: Ontario
    #3205576 - 10/02/04 12:37 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

i would suggest getting more involved in a healthy practice of excersise.
i know you said you get activity already, (and i'm not sure what it is that you do)
but mabey try somethig a little different like yoga? a routine yoga practice can really change ones perpective on a healthy living.
i highly doubt drinking a leter of vodak makes you feel refreshed and vibrant the next day, thou you may not get a hang over, after time, you will feel crappyer and crappyer.
if your body is used to feeling good and refreshed all the time, you probably wont want to sit down and drink that much..you'll have better self contraol.

so..yes yoga is my answer :P
good luck!

--------------------
What fun is it in Nirvana while other beings are suffering?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order