Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCanonPants
busy lurking
 User Gallery

Hello from B.C
    #3190048 - 09/28/04 01:20 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Hey everyone, I'm quite new to mushroom hunting, but I've tried to educate myself as best I can so I dont make the same mistake countless newbs have made in this forum(I read through at least 50 pages of topics, and quite frankly i'm stunned at the density of some of these people) Anyway, I live in Kelowna British Columbia(about 3.5 hours from the coast of Vancouver) and I'm hoping to make some good finds this season, being my very first hunting season and all. I'm hoping i'm not too far off the coast to dampen my searching efforts, but so far just from a little search in my yard, I found this neat little patch of non-active mushrooms after a very light rainfall.

While we get considerably less rain than the vancouver area, it is still quite lush and cool here(in the fall) I was hoping to search mainly for Liberty Caps, but I'm wondering if I'm just a bit too far off the coast-line for that. Anyway, I'm sure I'll be able to find something active this season, I just need some damn rain already! I'll keep you guys posted, happy hunting from B.C!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepuff8puff8pass
Stranger
Loc: Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Re: Hello from B.C [Re: CanonPants]
    #3190222 - 09/28/04 02:03 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Hey I just wanted to say I am from BC too. Vancouver Area. This is my first season as well. I have been waiting all yr for Sept because that is one of the best months for mushroom picking. Anyway I found this Resort hotel in Victoria ($120) per person and they take you out on a mushroom hunt. I think there is a monk and 2 chiefs that take you out. Anyway I am really looking forward to be able to talk to people who know what they are doing. Later they make lunch and we eat what we find. Like you I don't wanna make mistakes. So far my eyes have been glued to the ground for some psilocybe but I have found nothing. I figure its not hard to see if you found one since they bruise blue.

Good luck

Anybody know the most common psilocybe growing in the Vancouver area. Conifer Maybe? lib Cap?

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
    #3190457 - 09/28/04 03:49 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

dunno jack about psilos here really, i learning too.  but you shoudl get some killer morels with all those fires your getting pounded with!  or were*.

i know they are out, i have talked to people that are finding them (here on vancouver island at least).  all i have found is fly agarics, and only jsut this weekend by mt washington.  lots of edibles are out though :smile:

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #3191050 - 09/28/04 10:28 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

CanonPants said:
I've tried to educate myself as best I can so I dont make the same mistake countless newbs have made in this forum(I read through at least 50 pages of topics, and quite frankly i'm stunned at the density of some of these people)

:lol:
thank you, I think you will be rewarded well with shrooms for taking the initiative to educate yourself :smile:

Quote:

puff8puff8pass said:
I figure its not hard to see if you found one since they bruise blue.

not all active psilocybes bruise blue easily and some non-actives do.  blue bruising is only useful for identification when other characteristics are considered as well.

nice pics, they appear to be a species of coprinus (more likely) or possibly a marasmius.  good luck :smile:

DH

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Hello from B.C [Re: spores]
    #3191339 - 09/28/04 12:12 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I agree with Coprinus.

OfflineZostrah_
Unreal

Loc: Northants, England
Re: Hello from B.C [Re: Gumby]
    #3191549 - 09/28/04 01:12 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Aye. I've found a few similar to this.

OfflineDocPsilocybin
enthusiast

#3192413 - 09/28/04 05:25 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Hey, I'm from BC too and I just picked what I'm 98% sure are some fine Lib Caps. G'luck with your search.

--------------------
You can't hold a man down without staying down with him.
-- Booker T. Washington

Offlinefatalerror
ass asscott
Female User Gallery

#3193705 - 09/28/04 11:19 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Wheres this place in Victoria? Will they give locals tours? :laugh:

--------------------
eat poop

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: Hello from B.C [Re: fatalerror]
    #3193971 - 09/29/04 12:17 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

ya i wanna go on a tour! i have picked a few in vic last week. i jsut dunno how to cook the damn things...

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

OfflineCanonPants
busy lurking
 User Gallery

#3194484 - 09/29/04 02:58 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I'm curious, is the frequency of Psilocybe's(and other species)going to decrease greatly being a few hours from the ocean?  I can find mushrooms all over my yard, but are active species going to be few and far between?  I hope not. :frown:

OfflineDocPsilocybin
enthusiast

#3194490 - 09/29/04 03:06 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

In my unexpert opinion I don't know. I say they're out there and if you spend enough time looking and don't just keep looking over the same spots and keep it up you'll find something! Just know what you're looking for. I've picked liberty caps before and thrown them away because they didn't blue.

G'luck man! You'll find something! It's an addictive hobby.

--------------------
You can't hold a man down without staying down with him.
-- Booker T. Washington

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom