Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMoneyAddyct
Picaro
Too Much Water..Am I Fu*ked?
    #3193276 - 09/28/04 08:41 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I just made 10 jars. I put all the verm/substrate in one large bowl and added 2-240ml of water (2 bottles bottled water). I mixed it all up and then I realized it was definitely TOO MUCH WATER! Towards the end I could see water on the bottom of the bowl. I tried to wring out as much water as possible before I put the mix in the jars, but I'm afraid there was a bunch of water left. It's not like you can see the water in the jars or anything, but the mix was definitely wet. Did I use too much water? Am I screwed from the start? Right now there boiling--I've got about an hour left on that before I innoculate. I hope I didnt screw up too bad.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMoneyAddyct
Picaro
Re: Too Much Water..Am I Fu*ked? [Re: MoneyAddyct]
    #3193282 - 09/28/04 08:45 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Also, there wasnt enough room in the pot to put all of the jars on the bottom so I placed 7 jars on the bottom and 3 jars on top of them and I put the steamer section on top of that to keep them all from moving. There's condensation inside the top 3 jars. Is that okay?

Offlineholio1
intense

Loc: toronto son
    #3193283 - 09/28/04 08:45 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

OK there is a chance you will not get boned, but I had some wet jars and I got fucked up by contams. The mycelium cannot colonize areas where it is too wet, but types of contams can so they will take hold there if you are not careful in your procedure. Try and be as sterile as possible, and try flipping your jars so that some water is absorbed by the dry verm layer.

gl buddy

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #3193284 - 09/28/04 08:45 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Sounds to me like you screwed up. The jars might work, but if they colonize it will be slow and there is a good chance of bacterial contamination. I suggest you start over and don't waste any spores on those jars.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Offlineholio1
intense

Loc: toronto son
    #3193289 - 09/28/04 08:47 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Yes you can stack jars, I dont understand what you are saying about steamer section or something. Some condensation is alright but you don't want alot of the substrate will be too wet.

OfflineMoneyAddyct
Picaro
Re: Too Much Water..Am I Fu*ked? [Re: holio1]
    #3193324 - 09/28/04 08:56 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I just looked at one inside the pot...and it doesnt look wet. It looks nice inside. Should I maybe wait a day or so before innoculating them?

OfflineMoneyAddyct
Picaro
    #3193345 - 09/28/04 10:15 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Ok. I dumped everything out. I'll start over tommorow. Finding brown rice flour shouldn't be hard at all, and if I can't find it, I'll just use a coffee grinder and make my own. The thing is, I dont know if I'll be able to find courser grade vermiculite. Lowe's only carried the fine grain stuff. That definitely wouldn't work?

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #3193644 - 09/28/04 11:06 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Fine grade verm will work but it might be a bit slower to colonize. Don't pack the substrate!

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Offlinedrunkencanadian
Stranger
    #3193675 - 09/28/04 11:12 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

PF tek says that the finer-to medium grade verm is better i beleive. maybe it was the simple tek, not sure, but im pretty sure one of them said to use that kind instead of the coarse stuff.

Just wondering how you guys can judge if a jar has too much water in the mix? im guessing if the BRF is wet, and kind of blobbed up against the jar, its too wet?
could someone place a link or pics of too wet jars? thatd be great :laugh:
Thanks
DC

Offlinezoltar
Hello I love youwont you tell meyour name?

Re: Too Much Water..Am I Fu*ked? [Re: drunkencanadian]
    #3193707 - 09/28/04 11:19 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

brf jars that are too wet will have a clumpy appearance to them.

--------------------
We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.
*note to any one reading my posts. any post pretaing to the cultivation of illegal psilocybe mushrooms are completely fictional. im a known pathological liar.

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.

Loc: Middle of nowhere
Re: Too Much Water..Am I Fu*ked? [Re: zoltar]
    #3194385 - 09/29/04 01:54 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

you will also get some rice goop on the bottom of the jar after you PC. make sure the substrate looks right before you put it in jars... no standing water in the bottom.

i use coarse but pulse it once or twice in the coffee grinder... works wonders.

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

OfflineMoneyAddyct
Picaro
Re: Too Much Water..Am I Fu*ked? [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #3196346 - 09/29/04 04:01 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Update: I dumped everything out and ordered BRF and vermiculite from mycosupply. It'll be here in 3 days. Thanks for the info guys. I'm glad I listened and didn't waste my only syringe.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #3196367 - 09/29/04 04:06 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

> I tried to wring out as much water as possible before

Please, don't wring out vermiculite, you are destroying its structure.
If there is too much water in the bowl, put the wet vermiculite in a strainer and let the excessive water drain for a minute. Then the vermiculite will be at the field capacity, which is perfect. Then add BRF.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate