Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineElectricBoogaloo
Emergency drying method?
    #3192860 - 09/28/04 06:45 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I've had my shrooms trying to dry using silica crystals (from a craft store as 'flower drying material') for a long time, some almost a week since I picked them. They aren't drying out, or if they are they aren't drying much. I've changed the silica twice now (maybe it is already full of moisture?)

I don't want my shrooms to start to rot, and I need to dry them fast. Can I use the oven in any way that doesn't kill the good stuff? Anything else I could do?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Emergency drying method? [Re: ElectricBoogaloo]
    #3192875 - 09/28/04 06:47 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Air dry them with a fan blowing over em in a warm dry room then dry with freshy baked sicica in a drying container. Why havent you eaten em yet?

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #3192881 - 09/28/04 06:49 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Rule #1 Always fan dry mushooms first then use desiccant to get them "cracker" dry! :wink:

OfflineWorf
Lt. Commander

Loc: Final Frontier
Re: Emergency drying method? [Re: hyphae]
    #3192953 - 09/28/04 07:06 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

My fan broke a couple days ago and now they don't sell them anywhere because they are a seasonal item =[

I'm going to check thrift stores soon...

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: Emergency drying method? [Re: Worf]
    #3192979 - 09/28/04 07:13 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I find that just placing them on cardboard will dry them fairly quickly with no fan.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Offlinezoltar
Hello I love youwont you tell meyour name?

#3193083 - 09/28/04 07:33 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

brow rice works pretty well, expanded clay (in the form of kitty litter) works pretty well also. i think perlite would work too from what i understatnd it absorbs water till it cant hold any more then slowly releases it causing the increase in humidty it famous for i was actually thinking of trying it out next. oh and always always fan dry first. and try to stay away from any drying methods that invole temps over 90ish degrees.

--------------------
We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.
*note to any one reading my posts. any post pretaing to the cultivation of illegal psilocybe mushrooms are completely fictional. im a known pathological liar.

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Emergency drying method? [Re: zoltar]
    #3193095 - 09/28/04 07:35 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

If you have a room with a ceiling fan just lay it on top a dresser and they should dry in 1-2 days.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #3193173 - 09/28/04 07:51 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Ya know how about a cardboard box with expanded clay (in the form of kitty litter) That should work as well as fan drying and desiccant right z@z.com and zoltar? :wink:

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #3193202 - 09/28/04 07:56 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

oven (on the lowest temp) should be ok if you fan dried first!

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Re: Emergency drying method? [Re: hyphae]
    #3193211 - 09/28/04 07:57 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I think open air for a day or two first works best.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Offlineonetime
onetime
 User Gallery

Re: Emergency drying method? [Re: z@z.com]
    #3193221 - 09/28/04 08:00 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

i would never ever ever use heat to dry shrooms

--------------------

See?
Yes, with my own three eyes.
Depression, Misspells , wanting everying thing i cant have haveing nothing i want

Anonymous

#3193251 - 09/28/04 08:07 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

get a food dehydrator with an adjustable heat setting.

i bought one for 40 bucks at walmart that goes down to 95 degrees. i forget what the actual temp limit recommended by stamets is (maybe someone with a copy of TMC on hand could help me out), but 95 degrees is plenty cool.

the food dehydrator dries mushrooms (even in large quantity) in about 16 hours with no messy and toxic dessicants. i don't know how i handled harvests without it.

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Re: Emergency drying method? [Re: ]
    #3193255 - 09/28/04 08:09 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I used to have a dehydrator. I bought it for $5. I simply disconnected the heating element.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract