Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJoel
Stranger
Need Help!!
    #3189969 - 09/28/04 03:00 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Hey I am a first time grower and well i have my jars set up for the myc to start and well its growing good im just concerned because there is only like an inch or two of white around the edge and the whole center part is looking green or greenish its hard to tell the edges of the jars kinda have crap so its not totally clear and it seems the more the myc grows out the greenish center grows with it keeping the ring of white. I used up all my spores and its good drive to go get more so i'd rather not toss em. I will try and get a picture to show better as soon as possible. Another question is: Is it safe to take spore prints from contaminated mushrooms? I think thats all if i remember ne thing else i will add and please say if ur not positive i'd rather not die from someone taking a stab in the dark at answering this question. Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleWheedhead!
Test subject #1

Loc: Area 51
Re: Need Help!! [Re: Joel]
    #3190786 - 09/28/04 10:41 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Sounds like you have got the mean green. But of course there is no way for me to be sure, without a picture.
If its infected with green mold, i would toss them.
The next time try to keep an uninnoculated jar for control. This way you have a much faster way of finding out, where in your procedures it went wront. But to me it sounds like your needle wasnt sterile.

--------------------
I just  :heart: The Shroomery

Monkeys might fly out of my butt

Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope. "
Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers

OfflineJoel
Stranger
    #3192111 - 09/28/04 05:33 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I took a lighter to the tip of the syringe and made it red hot before i did any injecting so i dont think that it was caused by the needle. If it does grow and turn white and the greenish goes aways does that mean that its gone and safe to eat or does it mean that it just grew over the mold?? I will try and get those pictures and make sure if it is or not and still need the question answered is it safe to take spores of infected mushrooms to grow more??

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #3195753 - 09/29/04 03:21 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

If it does grow and turn white and the greenish goes aways does that mean that its gone and safe to eat or does it mean that it just grew over the mold??

It depends but most probably it will grow over the mold, that's why you have to break the cake after birth to see if there's mold growing on the inside.

Quote:

I will try and get those pictures and make sure if it is or not and still need the question answered is it safe to take spores of infected mushrooms to grow more??

Yeap, get those pics. Taking spores from infected mushrooms can be risky and a waste of time. Try reading about cloning a piece of mushroom, it's safer and not that hard to do. Of course, don't take it for granted ....

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflineJoel
Stranger
Re: Need Help!! [Re: MAIA]
    #3197058 - 09/29/04 09:06 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Do I break the cake after I've grown and picked the mushrooms or will a broken cake still grow mushrooms? and if u clone an infected mushroom its safe?? and for the pictures i just needa get my hands on a digital camera.....

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #3199292 - 09/30/04 11:01 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Do I break the cake after I've grown and picked the mushrooms or will a broken cake still grow mushrooms?

Yes, an healthy broken cake can still grow mushrooms. Best option is to break the cake after birth. If you don't do so and if the cake is really contaminated, it can contaminate other cakes inside the terrarium.

Quote:

if u clone an infected mushroom its safe?

The tissue sample has to be sterilized first. If it's done right, the sample will grow and take over a new substrate and it will be safe. If it's done wrong, the sample will possibly get infected again and contamination will take over the substrate. Please, read more info regarding this issue.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum