Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Agar, DXM, HEPA Filter, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFuzzy
enthusiast

Loc: Washington State
Help me fuffill my mycological goals!
    #318966 - 05/17/01 12:26 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Although I am somewhat knew to growing Ive been researching mycology little by little over the past year. Right now I am trying to perfect the PF method of cakes and various shakable grains. I have access to a fellow shroomerite, myco-420 who has many tools (ie: pressure cooker, hepa filter, glovebox) that will help me on my growing adventure. So here are my goals
1) Raise 20,000 dollars for the next two goals
2) Gain enough mycological skills in order to successfully cultivate both the mycellium and fruit bodies of the clitocybe illudens *Jack O Lantern*.
3)Throw a party for my 18th birthday in my friend's friend's underground missle silo. The entire theme of the party would be mycological and I hope to create large clear terrarriums filled with Jack O Lantern's as the parties "visuals"

So I was wondering if your advanced growers and professional mycologists out there would help me do the following
-devise some sort of tek for growing the mushroom *would i use the same substrate as hallucinigetic wood loving mushrooms?*
-find a spore print
- name/address of any mycologist who could answer specific questions to this species and other luminescent mushrooms (IE. Panus stipticus, Poromycene manipularis, etc)
That is all. I dont think I am asking much. I just want general answers now and as I learn more and more about mycology I hope to narrow down my questions. Much prior thanx!! ~me~
ps-I know I have awhile before the likelyhood of finding a spore print is reasonable. About 4-5 months (midsummer-autum) so i figure i have that long to perfect some mycological skills needed to grow these babies.

rEaLiTy iS a PiGmEnT oF yOuR hAlLuCiNaTiOn

--------------------
"Give Fuzzy all of your drugs. So let it be written, so let it be done!"- the word of Fuzzy the III supreme ruler of all Mycotopia

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: Help me fuffill my mycological goals! [Re: Fuzzy]
    #319006 - 05/17/01 01:31 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I think if you really want to go this route, you should go for a clone, not a spore print.

Also, you may want to go with just the mycelium for the party, maybe filling pretty-shaped transparent containers, etc. This would greatly simplify things into something you could feasibly do quickly at home. Clone to agar, agar to grain, grain to supplemented wood. Grow up as much as you could possibly need.

Actually cultivating Jack-o-Lantern fruits is virgin territory as far as I know. You'll likely have some degree of success if you grow up the mycelium and plug-spawn a bunch of fresh logs/dead trees.

It could be fun, but I might just keep a bucket of glow in the dark paint on hand, just in case :)

The above information is complete fiction.

OfflineFuzzy
enthusiast

#319027 - 05/17/01 01:54 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I figured that I could get some sort of clone of a wild print and eventually domesticate it by cloning mushroom tissue from the brightest, and best mushrooms that were produced on the substrate I had available *agar..cakes..rye berries..finch seed?*
I have an entire year to plan this so I KKKNOOOWWWW this will happen. I am very VERY stubborn and motivated!! I think tommorow I will go to the downtown public library and check out a Paul Stament *sp?* book and ask a biology teacher at my college where all of the mycological societies and washinton state are located so that I can correspond with them. KEEP THE HELP COMMING MY MYCOLOGICAL MASTERS!!!!

--------------------
"Give Fuzzy all of your drugs. So let it be written, so let it be done!"- the word of Fuzzy the III supreme ruler of all Mycotopia

OfflineFuzzy
enthusiast

#319043 - 05/17/01 02:21 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I did some research in a 1974 Mycology guidbook from the National Science Foundation to the Mycological Society of America. They have a whole secion on Luminescent Fungi ( 9 pgs) and for the Jack O Lanterns it says "Depending on the species, the fruiting body, in whole or in part, or only the mycelium or both, may be luminescent. Light emission can be demonstrated by either the fruiting body in a moist chamber or the mycelium grown in a culture. Armillaria mellea, Panus stiptious or Clitocybe illudens are the most reliabe producers of light for classroom demonstrations" The classrooms demonstration leads me to believe that this strain has been tampered with before by mycologist's who wanted to "domesticate" it to make it easier to grow probably on agar. Keep in mind that this book is over 30 years old! SO there has been plenty of time for people to screw around. I like the bin idea and you are right my goal is a bit too large. I think I will tone it down to "getting fruiting bodies to grow in several large plexiglass aquariums in a chill room, Smaller tanks, maybe bubble gum machines, could be placed in main rooms by DJ's"

--------------------

OfflineTaz
veteran
    #319057 - 05/17/01 03:11 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

fuzzy, U are diffently an ambitious person. what U are perposing to do is going to be hard. don't take this wrong but...be careful and don't get in over your head. U have brought up some vary interesting points, one I will go research and if I find out anything I'll let ya know..

"Out of chaos...comes order...." AND THE FSR..

--------------------
"Most of the world's problems are caused by people taking things that do not belong to them..."

OfflineFuzzy
enthusiast

#319082 - 05/17/01 03:54 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

My hunch was correct they do have strains of this mushroom especially for growing in colleges. When searching the internet i found a German site www.dsmz.de that sells more cultures than you can shake a stick at! I am not interested from buying them because they are too pricey. But if you live in Germany they have like every psyllocibe species available in culture form So the following things are now on my agenda
1- go to my college and ask different instructors *biology, microbiology, botony* if they know of any places that sell cultures for those experiments. For all I know they could have some sort of catalog filled with different cultures.
2-email every Mycological society on the east coast *that has email* regarding a Jack O' Lantern spore print and/or culture.
3-go get Stammets book from the library to figure out what kind of a medium to grow this on.
If people ask me why I need these mushrooms I will tell them that I need them for some science fair exhibit. My experiment is to first colonize multiple agar plates. Half of the agar plates will be exposed to UV light the remaining will not. To record the effects I will place the petri dishes in a dark room. A small black piece of paper cut in some design will be placed on top of the agar I will use a camera on a tripod with the shutter open for exactly 3 hours to take in all of the light the mycellium gives off. The next will be exposed to UV for 3 hours ahead of time and then the same process will be done. Who knows I might actually do it. Im only 17 years old and with an experiment of this calibur there is no way I could lose. I scoff at my hypothetical competition's volcanoes! <--is now scoffing.

still need-substrate ideas.

--------------------

OfflineFuzzy
enthusiast

#319980 - 05/18/01 09:02 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

does anybody have any information? Does anyone know Stammets email?

--------------------

Offlinetom
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Nope
    #319987 - 05/18/01 09:28 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I can fulfill goal #1 for you. And a few months ago someone had a pic of some glowing mycelium that they were growing but their dog stanked it.

"Ha ha" -- Nelson

"Never trade or buy from DXMHEAD420... he ripped me off and was an ass about it too" -- Myself

--------------------
"It must be your stamps girl... cause it aint your face" -- Juvenile

"Only in America does someone order a cheese burger, large fries, and a diet Coke" -- ?

"DXMHEAD420 ripped me off and was an ass about it too" -- Myself

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Agar, DXM, HEPA Filter, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology