Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePsilocybin
Closet Cultivation
    #318128 - 05/15/01 06:57 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

A friend of a friend is interested in starting a grow room in his closet. The space is 4' wide 2' deep and 6' high. He was going to create a shelf system and place pie tins on it. He was to grow bulk and was going to spawn worm castings with rye. And use a humidifier for keeping prper humidity levels(would this work well?). Here's a pic of the design so far.
http://www.geocities.com/sink_/mc.gif

Any suggestions on airflow, keeping proper humidity levels, heating, or anything else you can think of? Criticism is wanted. thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
Re: Closet Cultivation [Re: Psilocybin]
    #318182 - 05/15/01 08:04 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

geocities sucks... thats the second geocities link that hasnt worked for me today.

--------
"give me shoes so i can tapsy" --Ween~

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

OfflineServantOfGod
Re: Closet Cultivation *DELETED* [Re: Psilocybin]
    #318687 - 05/16/01 04:28 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Post deleted by ServantOfGod

Offlinepsylohassee
enthusiast
Re: Closet Cultivation [Re: ServantOfGod]
    #318696 - 05/16/01 04:37 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I am saaaaaaaaatan hear me roar
in dark voices too loud to ignore
pukes in peewwwssss
who worship air
brain dead drones
drowning in dispair

forced abstinance drives spineless blueball priests into lives of sniveling alter-boy defilers

pagan glee club sing it..
wooohhh wohh wooohhhh
Pope on a Rope

Edited by psylohassee on 05/16/01 06:39 PM.

OfflineServantOfGod
    #318770 - 05/16/01 05:53 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I repent of and apologize for all the wrong things that I have done. I make no excuses for my wrong choices. All definitions of words are according to what God, the Eternal Father, deems them to be. Sex outside of authorized marriage is wrong. Bestiality and homosexuality are not only wrong they are crimes against nature. Homosexuality is a choice and not a condition that a soul is born with. Masturbation is part of inappropriate touching and inappropriate touching is wrong. Oral sex is wrong. Behaving in an effeminate manner is wrong. Kissing outside of authorized marriage is wrong. Profaning the Sabbath day, which day is Sunday, is wrong. It is wrong for a soul to harm themselves or any other soul. All drugs are poisonous and ingesting poison is wrong. Worshipping false gods is wrong. Profanities, vulgarities, and obscenities are wrong. Using the name of Deity in an irreverent or unauthorized manner is a profanity. Cursing is wrong. Bearing false witness, coveting, stealing, trespassing, reviling, evil speaking, faultfinding, backbiting, and gossiping are wrong. Evil thinking is wrong. Vandalism is wrong. Behaving in a irreverent manner is wrong. Greed is wrong. It is wrong for one soul to tempt another soul. Flirting with temptation is wrong. Mind games are a temptation. For one soul to provoke another soul is to tempt that soul to make an unrighteous choice. Petting is a temptation. Lust, pride, and paranoia are bad. What is wrong is evil. What is bad is evil. Evil never was power or beauty and never will be power or beauty. God, the Eternal Father, lives and Jesus is the Christ and they are from everlasting to everlasting. The Law of Moses has been fulfilled. The Book Of Mormon is a true account of God's dealings with the people upon the American continent during and around the earthly ministry of Jesus the Christ. There is no way whereby man might obtain unto salvation save it be through the authorized gates of Baptism. During this space of time on this planet the authorized gates of Baptism are only found in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Ultimately, it comes down to repent or perish. Repentance is a change of heart, a change to be better. Repentance involves admission of sin, confession of sin to the proper authority, reconciliation with those offended, reconciliation to God, the Eternal Father, and the resolve never to commit sin again. Restitution is part of the reconciliation process. The rule of restitution is if it is fixable fix it, if it is not fixable replace it, if it is neither fixable nor replaceable offer friendship. It is not enough to state the term sorry, the key to validating the repentance process is the resolve never to do it again. Unpardonable sins are just that unpardonable. I forgive all my brothers and sisters of all their trespasses against me whether past, present, or future. I bear record and testify and I also bear my testimony that the contents of this message are true, in the name of Jesus the Christ, amen.

Sincerely,
Joshua Shain Murphy

OfflinePsilocybin
    #318896 - 05/16/01 08:43 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

The attached file should work better. I think I'm going to use some sort of wire for shelfs with wooden planks for support, this will allow for a more even gas and heat exchange.

Anyone know a good way to heat it, or any tips on using a humidifier?

OfflineoOjonahOo
addict
    #319152 - 05/17/01 04:44 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I wouldn't use polyfill for filtering the terrariums...it tends to get a little soggy and gross....
If your setting up a nice thing like this, go all out and buy some cheapo filter disks. They'll last much longer and can actually dry out if they get wet. Also, maybe instead of just the cool mist, you put an inline computer fan before the manifold...do the calculation to determine proper air exchange rates...total divided by number of nipples [the nipple is the outlet on a manifold to the specific thing].

--------------------
Ultimate Mycodirectory v4.0

Invisiblerebelmoon
enthusiast
    #319155 - 05/17/01 04:51 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

have you seen 3ms design? yours is similar but his is actual. check it out. itll put you on the right track.
here are a few of my own suggestions:

1) the humidifier should be below the shelves, not above it. otherwise all of the condensation that forms in the tubing will drip onto your casings or the sheving unit (instead of back into the hunidifier where it belongs). so just put it underneath, no big deal.

2) your lights are gonna make for some fucked up crops. proper lighting should come from directly overhead of the cropping surface or else the mushrooms will grow towards the back wall and generally be all fucked up. this is easy to fix too. you can get these cheapo flourescent tube lights from kmart for $10-15 each. theyre called "[something]-lite"s or "-stik"s or whatever. just tape the edges to seal out moisture and attach them to the roof of the tupperwares (if you do it like 3ms setup) or the bottom of each shelf (if you are doing a "tent" style setup). you can attach them with lashing straps (like that come on backpacks except just loops - sold at ahrdware and sporting goods stores) or with rubberbands. also this means youll need some extra electrical outlets. when your at the superstore, buy a powerstrip for $8.

3) you need to decide how to keep in the humidity. either by buying separate tupperware containers for each shelf and piping it in individually (you pic seems to be going in this direction) or by constructing a larger "tent". both have their positive sides. find 3ms setup for help with the first option - i think its probably easier, although youll need to find the proper hose fittings etc and it might take a lot of tweaking to get the humidity/air exchange right. for the second option, itll take more work and a lot more planning because your going to have to construct a plastic tent to fit around a frame of some sort. and youll have to figure out how it can both be somewhat airtight (for humidity reasons) and accessible (a door of some sort). unless you have the supplies on hand, either option will cost anywhere from $100-300, depending on how lucky you get. you might be able to get by with just a tub of perlite in the bottom of an enclosed tent setup. you could just cut the front piece of plastic tent material along the bottom and side to make a free-hanging door. just fan a few time a days by raising and lowering the piece of plastic. but you should buy a hygrometer to make sure your crop is getting enough humidity (everyone should have one of these but especially in your situation).

4) a humdifier creates a lot of moisture. be careful not to get the closet walls damp or else youll have mildew. im not sure how concerned you are or should be with this, but its something to keep in mind.

5) where are you going to incubate your jars? if you want it all to fit in a closet, you should try out shroomgods incubator. put it on the bottom level below the shelving unit.

6) if you can afford it ($50 or so), get a hepa filter.

7) instead of buying a shelving unit (that most likely will not fit perfectly in your closet and will be annoying to hunt down), i suggest making one out of pvc pipe. that way youll use every inch of space. pm me if you need any help with this, it can be kinda tricky if you dont know what youre doing, but cheaper and just plain better.

8) if you go with the tent option i outlined, you might want to look into larger trays (if you buy plastic storage bins all thatll fit will probably be aluminum trays), check out hardware stores for "mix-a-tub"s, used for mixing cement, etc. they are about 2' x 2' 6" and 6" deep. you might be able to fit two on each level (if you have more like 2' 6" of depth instead of just 2' or if you dont mind your setup poking out a bit). that way, assuming you have three levels, thats 30 square feet of cropping surface. if you can pull off even the most pathetic yields, you would have at least a couple of (dried) pounds.

so i dunno why you want to grow specifically in your closet -- if its at all for secrecy (and not simply to conserve space), i wouldnt suggest it. but if you are serious and mature enough to carry through wiht it, you will have lots and lots of mushrooms -- oysters right? you might even be able to take your crops to the farmers market once you get good enough. :)
good luck with whatever you choose to do...
-daniel.

--------------------
"habit is the ballast that chains the dog to its vomit" - s beckett

Invisiblerebelmoon
enthusiast
Re: Closet Cultivation [Re: oOjonahOo]
    #319158 - 05/17/01 04:53 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

have you actually tried a cool mist setup? i dont think an extra fan is at all necessary. for such a small setup, especially with direct tubing to blow the air across the cropping surface, the cool mists fan will be plenty.

agian, check out all the 3m posts.
-daniel.

--------------------

OfflineoOjonahOo
addict
Re: Closet Cultivation [Re: rebelmoon]
    #319493 - 05/17/01 04:08 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

In reply to:

the humidifier should be below the shelves, not above it. otherwise all of the condensation that forms in the tubing will drip onto your casings or the sheving unit (instead of back into the hunidifier where it belongs). so just put it underneath, no big deal.

This would also serve the purpose of eliminating the large water particles, as they tend to condense on the sides of the vertical tube. See 3m info for more on that.

In reply to:

i dont think an extra fan is at all necessary. for such a small setup, especially with direct tubing to blow the air across the cropping surface, the cool mists fan will be plenty.

Actually, I meant more for the purpose of regulating air flow, reducing it if anything. Lower airflow actually increases humidity. The fan can be used to optimize evaporation rates and if the math is done, perfect the air exchange amounts.

Edited by oOjonahOo on 05/17/01 06:10 PM.

--------------------
Ultimate Mycodirectory v4.0

Invisiblerebelmoon
enthusiast
Re: Closet Cultivation [Re: oOjonahOo]
    #319880 - 05/18/01 01:28 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

i think the humidity can be regulated easier by using adjustable exhaust flaps. for higher pressure/less humidity close off some of the exhaust holes; for less pressure/more humidity, open them up. also the length of tubing can be fiddled with. ive never tried 3ms method of having a large manifold pipe that the separate hoses connect to, but it seems like a pretty damn good idea. when i dreamt of having a shroomgod style setup, there was always *plenty* of air exchange. actually i mustve dreamt it just right, but i bet a little tinkering with exhaust holes and hose length would solve any problem before buying more extra shit like inline fans becomes necessary.
-daniel.

--------------------

OfflinepsilocyberV
old hand

#319992 - 05/18/01 07:46 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator.

OfflinePsilocybin
Re: Closet Cultivation [Re: psilocyber]
    #320180 - 05/18/01 02:19 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Ok, so I'll pick up some of those lights. I already have plenty of floro tubes of varying sizes, so my biggest concern is finding good fixtures at cheap prices.

I was thinking of placing the humidifier directly in the terrarium, such as in the lower left corner, its a cool mist and has a fan on it, this would give good air exchange and prodive humidity. Then I would control the humidity/airflow with the exhast, or possibly even slowing down the fan(dimmer? any tips?) Any idea on what I can use on the wood to stop it from getting mildew? I think im going to use some aluminum wire for the shelves. Thanks for the tips.

InvisibleMcMan
Pooh-Bah
Loc: USA
Post deleted by users_request [Re: Psilocybin]
    #321502 - 05/20/01 09:36 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Closet Cultivation [Re: McMan]
    #323251 - 05/22/01 11:10 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Actually, floro's don't get hot enough to bust from
condensation. A friend of mine used to grow plants
under tubes and she sprayed them every day with a
plant mister. The tubes would be dripping water and
she never had any problems at all. A "hot" bulb such
as a normal incandescent bulb or a high pressure vapor
lamp will explode if it gets damp/wet while hot.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleTripsAreForKids
addict

Loc: Not In The US
Re: Closet Cultivation [Re: Seuss]
    #324352 - 05/23/01 04:10 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

thats right, i've grown bud plants with floro tubes also, they wont bust. i've also grown witht he high pressure sodium without a bulb guard on, one time i got a little bit of water on the bulb and it exploded sending shards of glass into my finger, that sucked, so be aware!!! lol, it sucks seriously though, going to the hospital is a total buzzkiller, except when they inject you with lydocane, then itll bring the buzz back. annnnyways floro bulbs will work, dont worry about the humidity breaking them.... , unless of course the humidity is like 100% and it creates a consistant string of water from one contact on the bulb to the other causing a short, but im pretty sure that would be highly unlikely... you could always just get some plexiglass and put it in its own little box...

Keep Trippin' and Blazin'

--------------------
Everything posted above was out of fun, none should be taken serious. I am currently under the influence so take that into consideration.

OfflinePsilocybin
Re: Closet Cultivation [Re: TripsAreForKids]
    #324537 - 05/23/01 07:39 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Cool, good to know floros are safe (just curious, do you know how that bud grow went with using floros?) He has 4 2 foot floros that he places facing 4 seperate shelves. They are 15 watts and emit a cool blue color.

Any ideas on air circulation? Im planning on putting a cool mist on the bottom shelf enclosed with the casings. Should I make holes in the opposite side from the cool mist to introduce frsh air? Anybody what type of materiel I could use for shelfs? Is their any type of material which you can brace on two legs and that will allow air and light to pass through it, such as aluminum wires or a plastic shield with holes? Any sort wire I can use? (chcken wire attached with a staple gun?) Any suggestions wanted, will post pictures of the finished "thing" soon.

OfflineTriple_3
    #324547 - 05/23/01 07:46 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

check these out, (found em on da internet)
made from PVC

Edited by Triple_3 on 06/06/01 02:51 AM.

--------------------
---333---

OfflineTriple_3
Re: Closet Cultivation [Re: Triple_3]
    #324554 - 05/23/01 07:50 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

outside like this-

Edited by Triple_3 on 06/06/01 02:52 AM.

--------------------
---333---

OfflineTriple_3
Re: Closet Cultivation [Re: Triple_3]
    #324559 - 05/23/01 07:59 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

made to fit- wash bins (straw and compost), planting trays (cased grain)

Edited by Triple_3 on 06/06/01 02:52 AM.

--------------------
---333---

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix