Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesplix
2 questions
    #318807 - 05/16/01 06:36 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Q1
Ive seen alot of small plants, and/or small stips of grass in the growing chamber, this is good for converting the CO2 back to oxygen, Does anyone know what plant is best at this, at these temps and humidy level?

Q2
after jars are inoculated and lids screwed on tight, when is a good time to loosen and let them breath, i was thinking on about the 14th day to let them breath for about 4 hours and tighten again until birth. any suggestion, how do you guys do it??

Ohh and a 3rd question, which contam is yellowish, i think i remember reading something about sulfur or something?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineegghead
veteran
Loc: Milky Way
Re: 2 questions [Re: splix]
    #318829 - 05/16/01 07:17 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

1. Plants in the growing chamber would comprimise sterility. No a good idea.

2. There's no need to commit to a schedule for loosening the lids now. The mycelia will probably not follow your plan anyway. Watch them grow and if things stall under normal conditions, then it may be a good idea to introduce some fresh air or flip the jars or whatever seems appropriate at the time.

3. Not sure about this. Water damage has a yellowish appearance, but it's not a contam.

* Contributor to the Free Spore Ring

--------------------
Where there's skill, there's a better way..

OfflineCode
addict
    #318832 - 05/16/01 07:18 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Plants require light to convert CO2 to O2, so unless you keep your grow chamber well lit, the rate at which oxygen would be
produced would probably be pretty small. Simple fanning or
a small air pump would probably be much more efficent.

Offlinesplix
Re: 2 questions [Re: egghead]
    #318849 - 05/16/01 07:35 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

The yellow spot is not on the mycelia, but about 1/2 inch away. I do notice a buildup of moisture between the glass and everything inside. thinking of cracking the lids loose a little to air out, been tight since inoculation.

Offlineegghead
veteran
Loc: Milky Way
    #318854 - 05/16/01 07:45 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Hmm... I'd keep an eye on it to see if it grows. That's not to say that if it doesn't grow it's not a contam. But if it does grow, it's definitely a contam. The only yellow I've ever seen was a slimy bacterial thing. Several smooth round growths on an agar plate.

When in doubt, tell by the smell. Don't take a huge wiff, though.

* Contributor to the Free Spore Ring

--------------------
Where there's skill, there's a better way..

Offlinemagnusra

Re: 2 questions [Re: egghead]
    #318891 - 05/16/01 08:38 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

If it's yellow and looks dry and grainy, almost like sprinkled dust it's mold. My friend had a similar problem.

* The above post is not meant to be the thoughts and/or opinions of the author. I am relaying information for an acquintance and only write in first-person to simplify the process

--------------------
[red]* The above post is not meant to be the thoughts and/or opinions of the author. I am relaying information for an acquintance and only write in first-person to simplify the process[/red]

OfflineTaz
veteran
    #319123 - 05/17/01 03:37 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

ok, I would not put plants in there, your asking for problems if U do,

and as far as lids tight R lose, what substrate did U use? BRF/verm? and how much water in the substrate before U sterilized the jars? what size verm did U use? all this can be a contributing factors.

here is a good way to tell about the lids wether to have them tight R loose...sterilize the jars then tighten lids and let cool completely, inject the spores keep lids tight, watch the jars everyday, when you start to see condensation form on the glass, loosen the lids a little then, if you see alot of condensation where it is running down the sides and pooling on the bottom of the jar loosen them some more and if they are about 50% colonized then remove the tape from needle holes and turn jar upside down, If you hardly see any condensation at all on the glass leave lids on tight,

as far as the yellow spot, it could be water damage, then again it may not be, hard to tell U with out seeing it for myself (post a pic?) what I would do if I was U would be to loosen the lid and remove and then smell the dry verm layer, if it smells sour are moldy, it's a goner. if your still not sure but want to let it go to see how the jars develope and your not sure if it's contaminated then make sure the lids are on tight. if it is a contam U don't want it to start filtering out into the room..

"Out of chaos...comes order...." AND THE FSR..

--------------------
"Most of the world's problems are caused by people taking things that do not belong to them..."

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds