Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Straw to dry?
    #3187526 - 09/27/04 07:26 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I left my straw to sit for the last 24 hours to cool and drain. Now I'm afraid it may be to dry. I did nothing to hydrate it other then pasturizing (I think anyway, poured a mix of boiling water and hot tap) over it in my tub in tub incubator and left to soak (with a weight on top holding it down and a blanket over it) for an hour and a half. I then hung the mesh bags up to drip. The bottom's feel wet but the top of the straw feels dry...should I mix it around? Add more water? Spray it down once I mix the rye in with it before covering it with plastic?

I'd like to add that I hate straw while living in an apartment.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMycoCat
a.k.a. ShroomCat

Re: Straw to dry? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3187707 - 09/27/04 08:09 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

An hour and a half with boiling water isn't really pasteurizing. Did you have a thermometer in the container to check the temperature? And if so, what was it? The straw needs to be kept between 170? and 180? Fahrenheit (but not above 185? Fahrenheit or sterilization will occur and you then risk contamination) for two to three hours.

As far as it being too wet I'm not really sure, but I wouldn't use improperly pasteurized straw. You could screw your entire grow.

If you live in an apartment and hate straw you could try the Oven Bag Pasteurization Pictorial: http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23705.

--------------------
No question is so difficult to answer as that to which the answer is obvious.

Meow.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Straw to dry? [Re: MycoCat]
    #3187775 - 09/27/04 08:22 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

No I didn't I know what temp it was at though I do know what it should have been at. Water boils at 212 degree (there about depending on how close to sealevel but for rough estimate) mixed with hot tap water (felt like over 120 degrees but not sure exactly..may have been cooler or much hotter) should have given me around 180* though possibly not quite that much. I couldnt care if this craps pasturized or not..I just want to try it and see what happens. It can't screw my entire grow because this is just a side project, I use rye and have not let up my rye production, if it fails it gets tossed and at least is out of my house. I thought about the oven bags but I don't think that I could do enough to make it worth my while. If this works then it will be easy enough to do large amounts. If it doesnt work then I won't be using straw again cause its not worth it.

I can however easily add some water if I need to...I'm thinking it should be ok if I mix it all around though after further inspection. Bottom straw is quite wet (though not dripping). Kinda like shaking a jar of grain with wet kernels at the bottom... just gonna spawn soon if I dont get an answer to rehydrate it somehow.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation